Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1640 1641 [1642] 1643 1644 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3054310 times)

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #24615 on: September 25, 2015, 02:48:38 pm »

SCYTHESAWROOMBA
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #24616 on: September 25, 2015, 03:07:49 pm »

Oh so apparently they revealed that in Iron Blooded Orphans the name Gundam refers to a MS inner frame with special twin reactors developed during the calamity war which were produced in a limited production run of 72 units. Hence why the Gusion is a Gundam, because even though its so fat and lacks any Gundam traits, it still has the same inner frame under all that armor.

And also as Culise pointed out to me over IRC, this pretty much confirms that the Gundams are gonna all be themed after the demons of the Ars Goetia this time around.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24617 on: September 25, 2015, 04:59:14 pm »

I understand that the harem genre is a genre dedicated to a very specific base wish-fulfillment, but your problem is that if this is meant to be your ideal fantasy, then your fantasies just suck.
Well, the rub (aheh) is that it's usually not their ideal fantasy, singular. It's one of probably dozens of them, if it's one of their ideal ones at all. S'also usually not intended to be someone's ideal -- these works are generally meant to appeal to as large a base as possible in fairly specific ways. Beyond that, this stuff generally isn't exactly intended to be the high point of someone's media indulgences. It's a specific sort of fun first, any thing else second.

... also, the bestiality etc. thing was more than a bit of a bullshit statement. You might be a titch accurate if you went with xenophilia -- it's more of an alien lover thing than the rest of that -- but there's really damned little overlap between most of the folks that enjoy monstergirl (and related fields) stuff and those into bestiality et al. Please refrain from those kind of fucked up associations, yeah?
Yeah, I mean, the former is basically the ecchi equivalent of green skin and forehead wrinkles.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24618 on: September 25, 2015, 11:08:06 pm »

I agree with that thing about there being a vast gulf. I'd say almost all people who might think an anime catgirl is cute, would not be at all interested if she was even a touch more "furry" (i.e. whiskers and a cat mouth).

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #24619 on: September 26, 2015, 12:34:51 am »

Spoiler: UQ Holder 95 (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 12:46:23 am by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24620 on: September 26, 2015, 04:47:09 am »

I am so embarrassed but I was watching Prison school (FORGIVE ME!!! I just chose what has an interesting name on the anime network I frequent... and if it is tolerable I keep watching) and probably the most genuine romance scene I ever seen occurred. (Tip! don't watch Prison School... Even I can barely watch it... and I binge watched Peach Girl)

The main character was eating a rice ball and his date took a picture of him because he got rice on his nose and he looked like a dofus with his puffed out cheeks and bit of rice on his nose.

and I was thinking how much more realistic and frankly endearing that scene was versus all the other anime romance tends to be.

Personally anime romance relies way too much on unrealistic expectations and I have basically two examples of this. The first was in "My Love Story" where Afroguy was on a date with his girlfriend when all of a sudden ninjas attack! His first instinct when she was confronted was to sneak back and warn the main character to beat them up... YET he was considered in the wrong for not trying to fight the Ninjas (ok they weren't Ninjas).

The Other is every single "I like your horrible food" scene in anime. Which isn't to say it isn't romantic, yet its prevalence has become so prolific that it has started to become this game of subverting your personality completely and bending to the other's wishes saying only what they want to hear.

I get it... Romance Animes are a fairytale they aren't meant to be realistic. Yet goodness... people call Disney's depiction of romance caustic and unhealthy.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #24621 on: September 26, 2015, 04:55:28 am »

I just want to know how someone can make food that looks perfectly fine but apparently tastes like... cancer or something.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24622 on: September 26, 2015, 04:57:28 am »

I just want to know how someone can make food that looks perfectly fine but apparently tastes like... cancer or something.

It is extremely possible actually.

For example I once made chicken and did a salt rub mistakenly believing it would make the chicken taste good. It looked like normal chicken but it was so salty to quote "Even the bones were salty".

---

Ok I am not sure if Prison School is actually meant to be sexy... Or absolutely disgusting. Like some sort of weird aversion therapy. I think I've wanted to barf at least once every episode.

It is so horrible I almost can't look away... But other times yeah it is so bad I drop it for a few weeks and then watch it out of pure boredom and desperation.

Basically I have no idea if it is meant to be a parody of sexiness or if it is trying too hard to be sexy and basically comes off as the exact opposite.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 05:44:27 am by Neonivek »

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24623 on: September 26, 2015, 07:09:16 am »

I just hit the wham episode of Code Geass.

Shit.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #24624 on: September 26, 2015, 08:28:50 am »

Which one? Their are multiple.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24625 on: September 26, 2015, 08:35:24 am »

I think that would be around the end of season one most likely, to garnish such a reaction.

Mattk50

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24626 on: September 26, 2015, 11:51:13 am »

by the time you finish the show there are so many escalating " ... shit" events that its really hard to say. probably 10-15, im sitting here thinking and i keep coming up with more the longer i think for both seasons.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24627 on: September 26, 2015, 12:33:50 pm »

Yeah, if you're still in the first season there's really just one wham episode. R2 has about ten bajillion.  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24628 on: September 26, 2015, 04:28:17 pm »

Just started watching Avatar the Last Airbender, and it's really good.  Funny, touching and great action scenes.

I really like how the character progression is clear but subtle.  In the first few episodes they're obviously clueless, but as the series goes on they work hard to get stronger and smarter.  It's never shoved in your face with characters earning magic trinkets or whatever, the heroes are just clearly more capable and more confident in their abilities.  It's nice to see an anime that doesn't cop out with a training montage or just gloss over how preteens learned to fight well.

Personally anime romance relies way too much on unrealistic expectations and I have basically two examples of this. The first was in "My Love Story" where Afroguy was on a date with his girlfriend when all of a sudden ninjas attack! His first instinct when she was confronted was to sneak back and warn the main character to beat them up... YET he was considered in the wrong for not trying to fight the Ninjas (ok they weren't Ninjas).

The Other is every single "I like your horrible food" scene in anime. Which isn't to say it isn't romantic, yet its prevalence has become so prolific that it has started to become this game of subverting your personality completely and bending to the other's wishes saying only what they want to hear.

I get it... Romance Animes are a fairytale they aren't meant to be realistic. Yet goodness... people call Disney's depiction of romance caustic and unhealthy.

Yeah, glossing over the relationship part of romance is way too common in anime.  That's part of why I'm pleasantly surprised by the romances in AtLA.  Characters actually talk about their emotions and work to grow their relationship.  It's really funny that a kid's show managed to get romantic relationships more right than 90% of the older-audience anime I've seen. 
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24629 on: September 26, 2015, 05:44:19 pm »

I'm glad you're enjoying the show, but technically AtLA is not anime. It's Western Animation with anime influences :P

Stick with it though, it's great.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 1640 1641 [1642] 1643 1644 ... 2193