Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1639 1640 [1641] 1642 1643 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3054370 times)

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #24600 on: September 24, 2015, 12:29:59 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ok so it turns out that there's been some confusion about the names among the fanbase, but from what I can tell one of the fat MS is called the Manrody, while the other one is actually designated as a Gundam. O_o
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 01:37:14 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

RoguelikeRazuka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24601 on: September 24, 2015, 01:32:54 pm »

Hey I'm one of those few people who haven't watched the whole of Fullmetal Alchemist yet. I would casually watch it on TV for some tme, but not from the beginning and not till the end. Now I've started with the first episode and so far I'm a bit disappointed. I like the anime's premise very much, but the stories that are told along the main plot line leave mixed feelings. My question is to what degree is this anime marred by such things (sorry if I got something wrong but I'm quite new to this sort of media)?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 01:34:26 pm by RoguelikeRazuka »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24602 on: September 24, 2015, 01:47:21 pm »

Marred by what things Razuka?

But whether you're watching either the original FM or Brotherhood, they're both great watches. Brotherhood is the better one by all accounts, but you'll enjoy yourself for sure no matter.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #24603 on: September 24, 2015, 01:58:24 pm »

Yeah, there's a reason why Brotherhood is rated as the top anime of all time over on MyAnimeList. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24604 on: September 24, 2015, 03:57:36 pm »

Yeah, there's a reason why Brotherhood is rated as the top anime of all time over on MyAnimeList. :P

I would argue the opening episodes establishing the plot and characters in Brotherhood is way weaker than the original show, though, from my own recent experience.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24605 on: September 24, 2015, 04:18:39 pm »

Yeah, but the fact that the whole second half of the story doesn't exist in the first one is a big point in brotherhood's favor. :P
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24606 on: September 24, 2015, 11:05:45 pm »

Wasn't the traditional method to watch eps. 1-25 of the original run, then start Brotherhood at episode 10?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #24607 on: September 24, 2015, 11:09:27 pm »

That's still 2/3rds Brotherhood though
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24608 on: September 24, 2015, 11:52:09 pm »

Yeah, but it's not the same thing as just watching Brotherhood alone. Sort of like how a cup with 1/3 Jack and 2/3rds coke is still 2/3rds coke.

That analogy sucked, but you get the point.  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24609 on: September 25, 2015, 07:45:28 am »

I finally buckled down and watched Monster Musume No Iru Nichijou. It's your standard harem, but for the bestiality/necrophilia/dendrophilia/huge and strong women crowd. The MC is your ordinary reluctant virgin who's only real problem in life is that all the animal women love him too much. All those women can kill him by accident through sheer uncontrolled animal strength, which I suppose makes his reluctance all the more reasonable.

Let me just skip every other opinion I have, and just right down to get down to the core of the problem with the show, it just wants to be a harem anime too much. I feel the the setting of the show is really interesting, and that the notes for all the creatures that we never get to see shows that there's actually quite a bit of thought placed into the world building. I feel it definitely had the material and the potential to be something really uniquely interesting, but it just chose not to. Instead, it just went with "Oh just let me rub your face into my titties for the 300th time! Yeah you like that you barely pubescent child MMMmmmm."

It's always disappointing to see something that could have been, but just ran with the anthropomorphized sexy animals schtick. And honestly, they weren't made human-like enough, I'd say all the females still fall solidly into the realm of just being exotic pets that the MC is collecting. I'd like to write a letter to the writers, that just giving something large breasts doesn't make it half-human, you need to make those breasts have actual feelings and thoughts and motivations with greater depth than "Shove into obligatory man's face".

I understand that the harem genre is a genre dedicated to a very specific base wish-fulfillment, but your problem is that if this is meant to be your ideal fantasy, then your fantasies just suck.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24610 on: September 25, 2015, 08:25:55 am »

Hey I'm one of those few people who haven't watched the whole of Fullmetal Alchemist yet. I would casually watch it on TV for some tme, but not from the beginning and not till the end. Now I've started with the first episode and so far I'm a bit disappointed. I like the anime's premise very much, but the stories that are told along the main plot line leave mixed feelings. My question is to what degree is this anime marred by such things (sorry if I got something wrong but I'm quite new to this sort of media)?
The link in muh sig is very relevant.  The first 25 episodes of the original is better then the first 9/10 of brotherhood.  Its opinion, but I don't see too many people saying its a bad one.
Though, I am assuming you are watching brotherhood. But if you are actually watching the original, I reckon you can mosey on to brotherhood and see if it is any better for you. Tastes/wants/expectations are different for everyone afterall.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #24611 on: September 25, 2015, 09:18:42 am »

I understand that the harem genre is a genre dedicated to a very specific base wish-fulfillment, but your problem is that if this is meant to be your ideal fantasy, then your fantasies just suck.
Well, the rub (aheh) is that it's usually not their ideal fantasy, singular. It's one of probably dozens of them, if it's one of their ideal ones at all. S'also usually not intended to be someone's ideal -- these works are generally meant to appeal to as large a base as possible in fairly specific ways. Beyond that, this stuff generally isn't exactly intended to be the high point of someone's media indulgences. It's a specific sort of fun first, any thing else second.

... also, the bestiality etc. thing was more than a bit of a bullshit statement. You might be a titch accurate if you went with xenophilia -- it's more of an alien lover thing than the rest of that -- but there's really damned little overlap between most of the folks that enjoy monstergirl (and related fields) stuff and those into bestiality et al. Please refrain from those kind of fucked up associations, yeah?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24612 on: September 25, 2015, 09:55:58 am »

*No offense to actual centaur/snakoid/spidergirl/mythical creature/tolkien race/dragon warrior enemy lovers.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24613 on: September 25, 2015, 11:08:45 am »

Let me just skip every other opinion I have, and just right down to get down to the core of the problem with the show, it just wants to be a harem anime too much.
Well considering that the original original source was a series of hentai comic/blog pages, followed by a very ecchi manga set in the same world (which in a lot of ways played out very similar to the original original source story, just with all of the separate "male" characters combined into one instead of being a set of near identical sextuplets), I'm honestly not surprised that it turned out that way. The manga source is just a hair short of hentai at times (though it doesn't push the boundary near as much as something like To-Love Ru), and the inspiration before that is hentai. :P

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #24614 on: September 25, 2015, 11:32:01 am »

Ooh Tomino is planning on making a 2D fantasy robot anime, and implied he might be remaking one of hid old works. Looks like we might be taking one last trip to Byston Well :D
It's FEF, not FEOF
Pages: 1 ... 1639 1640 [1641] 1642 1643 ... 2193