Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1634 1635 [1636] 1637 1638 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3055174 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #24525 on: September 20, 2015, 04:02:05 am »

I ... guess we could give a glowing review to *all* anime like the guy suggests
That's basically the reviews on Crunchyroll in a nutshell. Everything gets 4 or 5 stars unless it's really niche.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24526 on: September 20, 2015, 04:22:35 am »

That's basically the reviews on Crunchyroll in a nutshell. Everything gets 4 or 5 stars unless it's really niche.
Interesting. Because that suggests that Crunchyroll is really the rubbish site, and that their "reviews" are moderated by their financial stake in the industry, whereas MAL being independent can afford to let people speak their mind. Crunchyroll won't keep getting those sweet licensing deals if they start being objective, will they?

Another crap review site is StarCrossed Anime Blog, or whatever it's called exactly. The worst of the worst anime in the world will be something like 77.25% on that site ...
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 04:24:34 am by Reelya »

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #24527 on: September 20, 2015, 04:25:54 am »

Ho'kay, Actually, I Am is getting kinda weird by this point (Volume 9), seems every girl is totally desperate to get the guy to fall in love with her! I think I might drop it soon.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24528 on: September 20, 2015, 04:50:20 am »

The problem is when those things get popular since they're serials, the author is heavily pressured to keep the chapters churning out ... and they have no guarantee of another hit. So, they stretch things out, never let any of the plot threads resolve, and just introduce new girls when readership starts to drop off. Plot stasis in a long series also helps people pick up if they miss a few issues of the magazine.

That also happened with Nisekoi. At the start it was more of a focused rom/com love triangle thing, with a specific mystery to resolve. But when it got really popular that basically got thrown out the window for full-on harem city hijinks, and the resolution of the original plotline got delayed indefinitely by quite unbelievable means.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 04:53:52 am by Reelya »

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24529 on: September 20, 2015, 04:53:33 am »

The problem is when those things get popular since they're serials, the author is heavily pressured to keep the chapters churning out ... and they have no guarantee of another hit. So, they stretch things out, never let any of the plot threads resolve, and just introduce new girls when readership starts to drop off. Plot stasis in a long series also helps people pick up if they miss a few issues of the magazine.

That also happened with Nisekoi. At the start it was more of a focused rom/com love triangle thing, with a specific mystery to resolve. But when it got really popular that basically got thrown out the window for full-on harem city hijinks, and the resolution of the original plotline got delayed indefinitely by quite unbelievable means.
Mmmm, it's like the paradise paradox, isn't it? It's only good for as long as not too many people stay there.

Oh well, it's already kinda jumped the shark for me, so I'm done with it.
Alan help.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24530 on: September 20, 2015, 05:04:44 am »

Yup. I'd say one warning sign in a harem series like that is when they start introducing new female characters who are e.g. childfriend friends or little sisters of the main character or other girls in the harem, who just happen to transfer into the school and were never mentioned at all before then. That's basically the super-lazy way of adding new girls to the harem, since you just say "so-and-so's sister" and that's all the plot explanation you need as to why she joins the cast (and naturally they instantly have a stronger emotional reaction to the hero than they do to their own friend/relative).

Nisekoi in particular is getting pretty bad with doing this. The most eggregious recent example is Onodera "gaining" a little sister who started at the high school, who we (and the hero) have never heard about or seen before, despirt Raku having gone over to her house on a number of occasions before this happened, and despite the fact that Raku and Onodera are long-time friends.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 05:17:17 am by Reelya »

Senclair

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #24531 on: September 20, 2015, 07:04:12 am »

I like anime but not all anime because most of them are garbage.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24532 on: September 20, 2015, 07:07:15 am »

STURGEONS LAW WEOO WEOO WEOOO THOUGHT POLICE DEPLOYED
Depends on what kinda anime you like, really, I could call most western movies crap and give you plenty of evidence to support that but then there may be quite a few people who enjoy the things I would think is crap, I 'unno.
Alan help.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24533 on: September 20, 2015, 07:26:52 am »

Senclair, it would be cool to hear some examples of your do like / don't like lists. It's pretty much impossible to process that statement without some details.

EDIT: Someone has a cold in Charlotte in the episode I'm up to. Normally not a noteworthy thing in an anime, but this is a Key anime :o, so yeah colds are a big deal.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 10:21:53 am by Reelya »

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24534 on: September 20, 2015, 11:07:35 am »

Senclair, it would be cool to hear some examples of your do like / don't like lists. It's pretty much impossible to process that statement without some details.

EDIT: Someone has a cold in Charlotte in the episode I'm up to. Normally not a noteworthy thing in an anime, but this is a Key anime :o, so yeah colds are a big deal.
Time for some feels thats what.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24535 on: September 20, 2015, 03:47:11 pm »

Interesting. Because that suggests that Crunchyroll is really the rubbish site, and that their "reviews" are moderated by their financial stake in the industry, whereas MAL being independent can afford to let people speak their mind. Crunchyroll won't keep getting those sweet licensing deals if they start being objective, will they?

Another crap review site is StarCrossed Anime Blog, or whatever it's called exactly. The worst of the worst anime in the world will be something like 77.25% on that site ...

It's the same deal as gaming sites, honestly: don't trust anyone who makes money from the companies that produce the products they review.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24536 on: September 20, 2015, 04:25:01 pm »

My problem with MAL is the exact opposite; that people aren't critical enough and have a tendency to give 10/10, 9/10, or 8/10 scores to anything they like, regardless of how good it actually is from a scrutinized viewpoint.

Monster Musume has a 7.50 rating currently, and it's a bog standard by-the-books harem series that just happens to have monster girls in it, does that really justify a 7.5/10? (Keeping in mind that 5 means average to any legitimate critical mind, an absolute medium, mediocre.)
Even in terms of harems it is nothing special, nothing that justifies a rating like that, but many people have the opinion that anything they enjoyed MUST be amazing or it would mean they don't have good taste, and that's impossible, right?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #24537 on: September 20, 2015, 04:42:47 pm »

Keeping in mind that 5 means average to any legitimate critical mind, an absolute medium, mediocre.
I'm not quite sure I agree with you 100% there. When I call something "mediocre" generally what I mean is "mediocre watchable", as in halfway between the absolute worst show I could enjoy watching, and an absolute favorite show. However there are shows that rank below the point where I get no enjoyment out of a show; shows that I actually dislike watching.

So for me a 5/10 doesn't mean "averagely okay to watch", it means "I don't like it but I don't dislike it". Shows with less than 5 stars are therefore shows that I actively dislike watching, while shows with above 5 stars are shows that I enjoy. It would be sort of like being able to rate a show from -5 to 5 stars, instead of from 0-10.

As such a show that I called "mediocre to watch" (as in I get equal amounts of apathy and enjoyment from it) would actually get 7.5 stars, as opposed to 5 (which would mean total apathy, or equal amounts of enjoyment and dislike).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24538 on: September 20, 2015, 04:43:31 pm »

My problem with MAL is the exact opposite; that people aren't critical enough and have a tendency to give 10/10, 9/10, or 8/10 scores to anything they like, regardless of how good it actually is from a scrutinized viewpoint.

Monster Musume has a 7.50 rating currently, and it's a bog standard by-the-books harem series that just happens to have monster girls in it, does that really justify a 7.5/10? (Keeping in mind that 5 means average to any legitimate critical mind, an absolute medium, mediocre.)
Even in terms of harems it is nothing special, nothing that justifies a rating like that, but many people have the opinion that anything they enjoyed MUST be amazing or it would mean they don't have good taste, and that's impossible, right?

Considering that it's 7.5 ranking puts it at number 1423 on the top anime list I think its less of people on MAL actually thinking its good and more of that they just don't agree with your ranking system.
I feel that a lot of public ranking systems tend to end up on the higher end of the scale because thats what we're taught in school. In school a 7/10 is indeed quite average while a 5/10 is a complete failure.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 04:47:38 pm by Sindain »
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24539 on: September 20, 2015, 05:38:32 pm »

A ten point scale places the number 5 in the middle, meaning the average. Anything above the average means it is, appropriately, above average, while anything below it is below average.

1 - Unwatchable Filth
2 - Absolutely Terrible
3 - Bad
4 - Below Average
5 - Average
6 - Above Average
7 - Good
8 - Great
9 - Amazing
10 - Perfect

Since perfection is realistically impossible, it generally forms a nine point scale.

Part of the problem comes from hype distorting people's views of what they actually watched (mostly common among children and teens, admittedly), and another part of the problem comes from people liking to label all things they don't like as equally bad, effectively making it a scale of 5 - 10.
What is the point of a rating system where half the spectrum isn't even used? Just to make people feel better, because the things they like have a bigger number? I thought people hated IGN and such for those exact reasons?

Considering that it's 7.5 ranking puts it at number 1423 on the top anime list I think its less of people on MAL actually thinking its good and more of that they just don't agree with your ranking system.
I feel that a lot of public ranking systems tend to end up on the higher end of the scale because thats what we're taught in school. In school a 7/10 is indeed quite average while a 5/10 is a complete failure.

I wouldn't look to the school system as an example of doing things well in most cases.

Pages: 1 ... 1634 1635 [1636] 1637 1638 ... 2193