Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1633 1634 [1635] 1636 1637 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3055160 times)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #24510 on: September 19, 2015, 06:07:22 pm »

if Nishi wasn't a huge coward and loser.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24511 on: September 19, 2015, 11:13:10 pm »

Looking at Charlotte, now one episode from the finale (it's all I've been watching as of late, no time!) I can't figure out why I like it so much. I mean, honestly there are a lot of issues with it: plot holes (may be explained in the last episode?), a really bland main character, and I'm not a bit fan of the pacing they used either. Despite all that, though, it's still a really nice show. The animation is beautiful, the music is great, and when the show does have one of its few emotional moments, they do hit them right on. I think my main issue is that I keep comparing it to Angel Beats when it is totally its own show.

Spoiler: Charlotte Ep. 11 (click to show/hide)
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24512 on: September 19, 2015, 11:21:55 pm »

If Key couldn't get those emotional catharsis moments right, then they'd really be doing something wrong, since that's what Key is all about. Everything else is build-up to those moments.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #24513 on: September 19, 2015, 11:51:46 pm »

I keep thinking Charlotte would have been more interesting if they'd gone more the route they were starting to go with the first episode, what with MC dude cheating on tests and perving on girls. Things a teenager would actually do with wacky powers. I guess you could the child-dissecting scientists in there to keep it from being too slice-of-life-y, but the way it's done in Charlotte seems too forced.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #24514 on: September 19, 2015, 11:55:04 pm »

Hey, so I'm watching Actually, I Am.
It's alright? I wasn't expecting much after Monster Musume: Everyday Life With Monster Girls, which took my standards with it to the center of the earth, but I like this one, it's about as formulaic as you can get for a harem show, but since I've never watched anything like it before, it's refreshing.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #24515 on: September 20, 2015, 12:02:32 am »

... I wouldn't really call Jitsu Wa "as formulaic as you can get for a harem show", unless the anime does a serious number on the manga. In broad strokes, maybe, but the details and character interactions and whatnot are quite, well. Not formulaic, as harems go. Much at all.

You can get a lot more by the numbers, and involve significantly less quality in the process, heh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #24516 on: September 20, 2015, 12:04:56 am »

Well, that just shows my ignorance on the topic, doesn't it?
Like I said, the only harem thing I read/watched was that one where the kid gets turned into a ghoul, the one with the vampire that always drank his blood, I think it was called Vampire+Rosario or something.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24517 on: September 20, 2015, 12:15:32 am »

Rosario to Vampire. ("to" is Jap for "and").

One of the most unusual harems I watched was Futakoi ("Twin love"). In that, every member of the harem was a set of twins. There are 6 total sets of twins the MC interacts with. He's in a love "triangle" with two of the sets of twins. But what happens when one of the sets of twins "wins" him. Is he supposed to date both of them or something? The anime didn't seem to have thought through this bit very well. It was a pretty cute series, and had almost zero fanservice, which would be virtually unknown in a modern harem series.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 12:19:23 am by Reelya »

Mattk50

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24518 on: September 20, 2015, 01:27:39 am »

Watched the released episodes of overlord.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24519 on: September 20, 2015, 01:43:16 am »

Mahouka or whatever the one with Shiba...

Could be good if it had a shovel full of self-awareness. Either going the parody route (which honestly it is so bad I have a hard time believing it isn't a parody). Or simply by having the anime recognize that our broken hero is that amazing... then deal with the consequences (especially since it isn't like his methodology is unknown... he doesn't really keep himself all that hidden all things considered).

Actually it would be an interesting anime if the main character was this overpowered broken hero who, without effort, defeats the villains... Which causes a global arms race out of fear with countries performing horrible atrocities to close the gap on our hero, who is dealing with an encroaching reality where the difference between himself and others is getting less and less and the worry that brings.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24520 on: September 20, 2015, 02:34:04 am »

Actually it would be an interesting anime if the main character was this overpowered broken hero who, without effort, defeats the villains... Which causes a global arms race out of fear with countries performing horrible atrocities to close the gap on our hero, who is dealing with an encroaching reality where the difference between himself and others is getting less and less and the worry that brings.
One-punch man seems to vaguely fit here.
._.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24521 on: September 20, 2015, 02:43:05 am »

Mahouka or whatever the one with Shiba...

Could be good if it had a shovel full of self-awareness. Either going the parody route (which honestly it is so bad I have a hard time believing it isn't a parody). Or simply by having the anime recognize that our broken hero is that amazing... then deal with the consequences (especially since it isn't like his methodology is unknown... he doesn't really keep himself all that hidden all things considered).

"Global Arms race incentivizes rivaling countries to spy on the child prodigy" cue a lot of suspiciously old 'high schoolers' attempting to blend into the school and befriend Shiba.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24522 on: September 20, 2015, 03:22:43 am »

Oh god what a shitass person: http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-856407/myanimelistnet-is-rubbish

Thread Title: "myanimelist.net is rubbish"

Okay, well I'm always open to reading what people have to say in criticism about things I like, if it's constructive ... So what's this guys argument? Apparently myanimelist is "rubbish" because sometimes the other users' reviews on myanimelist say bad things about animes he likes. His argument is that people should be encouraging people to watch more anime, therefore they should only "review" anime by saying 100% nice things about it and pretend any negative elements don't exist. Which is kind of ironic that he's reviewing the site, and labeling the whole thing rubbish based on one element he doesn't like ;D

I think the thing with MAL is that the part that gets criticized is all the fan-created material, and the people doing the criticizing are equally-douchebag fans on other sites. One CR comment was that MAL is as bad as Kotaku. But that's really not correct. Kotaku has paid writers who write commentary, reviews and opinion pieces. There are no such articles in MAL. The "News" section of MAL is just a listing of all the official announcements of new shows and other industry-published information, there is no opinion, commentary or analysis involved in that, whatsoever.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 03:39:34 am by Reelya »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #24523 on: September 20, 2015, 03:41:19 am »

anime is not a monolithic entity

it's... actually insulting to suggest so????

saying that all anime should be reviewed similarly is basically functionally equivalent to saying that all anime is similar enough that you can just review it all the same

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24524 on: September 20, 2015, 03:48:31 am »

Yeah, basically saying your LoGH's are the same deal as Highschool DxD or something.

I ... guess we could give a glowing review to *all* anime like the guy suggests, to get more people watching it. But then what happens when one of these newly-interested fans actually picks up their first title as something like Highschool DxD or even worse, Kiss X Sis, which we've both given "10/10 would watch again" reviews, and then decides all anime is perverted rubbish, because those are apparently the best it has to offer? That sort of false advertising is more likely to turn previously neutral people into anti-anime activists bad mouthing the medium as a whole.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 03:51:21 am by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 1633 1634 [1635] 1636 1637 ... 2193