Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1628 1629 [1630] 1631 1632 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3055709 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #24435 on: September 14, 2015, 04:59:29 pm »

... you forgot to add "that turns submissive at the drop of a hat" to that "violent girl". The dere side of the tsun. It's a fantasy escape from assertive women because it's what amounts to a parody of one, that is in fact inevitably conquered (and what amounts to rendered powerless) by the main character. It's pretty rare from what I've seen of anime of that sort (arguably too much :P) that the "assertive" female characters don't stop being so under fairly predictable circumstances.

As neo notes, it usually comes off more as people lashing out than people assured of themselves and acting towards their interests.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24436 on: September 14, 2015, 05:00:02 pm »

I dunno Reelya usually these girls are perfectly fine to sit on their butts and wait for their SO to make all the moves themselves at which, as long as they are the right choices, they will follow along.

But they will violently defend their role!

Think of it like... Familiar of Zero

Zero doesn't make any of the romantic moves and the only gifts she gives the protagonist are generally giving back freedoms she has taken away from him (and she never gives them back for long...)

While the Male protagonist is usually the one in charge of making all the romantic moves, gestures,  and gifts. He is also usually the one in charge when something goes wrong.

But if the male protagonist ever crosses her, does the wrong thing, or is seen even near another woman she will react to it violently and viciously and maliciously beat him up. She also does this whenever she is just feeling bad in general.

Though I guess... She is more... Passive then "submissive"

Wow... I went this long without bashing Familiar of Zero?

---

Though Kagome might fit the bill of submissive more. SURE she is incredibly abusive and will punish Inuyasha for even the most minor of slight and forces him to be around her against his will...

But outside of that she never really takes charge of the relationship and is pretty secure in letting Inuyasha make all the decisions. So long as he doesn't chose to displease her... at which point she will violently lash out.

---

But I am basing it on who is doing the seeking and taking charge of the relationship.

In Tenchi Muyo for example... the female characters are the ones in charge of the relationship. In Hayate Combat Butler? No one...

In Peach Girl? Both.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 05:08:09 pm by Neonivek »

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24437 on: September 14, 2015, 05:18:56 pm »

But I am basing it on who is doing the seeking and taking charge of the relationship.

In Tenchi Muyo for example... the female characters Washu is the one in charge of the relationship. In Hayate Combat Butler? No one...

In Peach Girl? Both.

FTFY.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24438 on: September 14, 2015, 05:26:29 pm »

Actually I've noticed that outright submissive girls are much more likely to be main love interests in shoujo mangas that in shonen. Inuyasha was written by a woman, as was e.g. Chobits. And then you have western romance novels, same deal as the above.

For shonen manga/anime, where you say the girls react passively to events driven by the protagonist. Perhaps that's less to do with male expectations and more to do with the idea that the story is about the decisions and actions made by the main character. Generally unless they're an antagonist, all characters are pretty static and defined by their relationship to the hero in this type of thing, regardless of being male or female. Antagonists act in a way that spurs the hero to action, male ally characters may be rivals, female ally characters may be love interests. Either way, these side-characters don't tend to run off deciding things for themselves, unless it's there to drive the plot for the main character. But it's always the actions of the main character that advance the plot past any obstacles, since these stories tend to be coming of age metaphors, and about taking action. Considering that it affects male side characters as much as female ones, that could be more of a limitation of the genre and storytelling conventions than it is about sexist portrayal.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 05:29:26 pm by Reelya »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #24439 on: September 14, 2015, 08:10:43 pm »

Idk, NGNL was from a novel. Maybe the novel comes across better than the manga? The novels are the source of any fanbase, not the manga.

Though I still think NGNL sucks, the writer has a better grasp of basic entertainment than the Mahouka guy does. But that's like saying dogshit smells better than catshit, really.
That'd make more sense, though you'd kind of expect an outcry about how badly they ruined it if so.

I can only guess that the people who write these sorts of BS articles aren't actually sitting down and watching a lot of the shows, or they're cherry picking what they cite
I thought this was standard assumption for angry internet people making sweeping assertions about the nature of things? Even when they have a point or their thesis is technically correct, they're usually not very intellectually honest about it. Because they're angry. And have a very particular axe to grind. And want to prove a much larger and more consistent point than they actually have the good data to make.

The Neo Counter: It has been _0_ days since Neonivek bashed Familiar of Zero.

Actually I've noticed that outright submissive girls are much more likely to be main love interests in shoujo mangas that in shonen.
More generally, the main character in any harem/lowbrowish romance thing is usually not going to be the one who initiates the relationship in the first place, because it's far more flattering if people start throwing themselves at him instead. Even when they officially get added to the harem proper through the MC's actions, they're usually the ones insisting they live with him or pretend to be friends with her in the first place. I doubt you'd find many shoujo harems where the main love interest is as passive and noncommittal as the MC in a shonen harem or vice versa, because then not a whole lot would happen and nobody would get to squee over how ridiculously attracted everyone is to them.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #24440 on: September 14, 2015, 09:27:02 pm »

The Neo Counter: It has been _0_ days since Neonivek bashed Familiar of Zero.
I almost commented on it...almost. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #24441 on: September 15, 2015, 04:37:56 am »

It is just the switch to DBZ and DBSuper that had Bleach Syndrome.

Goku gets seriously depowered in spite having all the same abilities.

? No, the villain is just escalated ridiculously as usual. Z went from "galaxy-ruling tyrant" to "amalgam of all the strongest guys in the series so far" to "amalgam of all the evil in the galaxy" (though afaik that's a retcon) to "actual god of destruction whose power is *literally* on an entirely different scale from everyone else".

The series doesn't have much problem with the main character getting weaker, just with the villains getting stronger in unreasonably large increments. Frieza went from "beaten by a super saiyan" to "actual god" over the course of (and this is the exact amount of time given in the movie) 4 months in Resurrection F.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #24442 on: September 15, 2015, 04:53:01 am »

I wonder how powerful Freeza might have gotten if he had trained for a year.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24443 on: September 15, 2015, 06:11:50 am »

No, the villain is just escalated ridiculously as usual.

Ohhhh so that is why Goku is slower, weaker, and got defeated by a dislocated shoulder.

Regardless of how powerful his opponent is... Goku should be "Just as strong" now as he was at the end of the Buu Saga. But demonstrably that is not the case.

Heck even AFTER his transformation the attack that "Could destroy the earth!" suddenly can't do that even when it hits the earth.. even when it is apparently even stronger then ever before.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24444 on: September 15, 2015, 06:26:09 am »

DBZ has kinda written itself into a corner there, where they hit a point where attacks can destroy the planet, but the threats have to keep escalating upward so now you get to the point where EVERY attack has to be a planet destroying threat, and then how are you able to save the world if just the act of fighting destroys it beyond repair?

Also, I'd have liked to have seen an alternate timeline where Goku never got bonked on the head as a child, and grew up to fulfull his intended purpose of destroying Earth... and then accidentally releasing Majin Buu in the process, because wasn't Buu just always trapped inside that odd prison ever since the beginning of DB? IDK honestly, that was the point in the series where my eyes glossed over and I lost interest in the series.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24445 on: September 15, 2015, 10:05:43 am »

I just finished watching Ace O Nerae: the movie. It's about highschool girls playing tennis. I quite liked it, though I may just be a little emotional today because I'm lightly sick, it reminds me of a wistful, nostalgic period of time that seems so sweet and innocent, though it depresses me because I know deep down that nothing like that could ever have existed in reality.

The main character Oka is a nice character, though because she feels that she's average, and everyone acknowledges that she's average, and her abilities are, in fact, very average, but she trains very hard and perseveres through many difficult losses and failures, and overcomes the weakness in herself and manages to improve herself. That was very inspiring to watch.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24446 on: September 15, 2015, 12:52:16 pm »

In all fairness Dragon Ball Super is meant to be sort of a joke a sort of self-parody.

Hence why Goku's Super God form changes his hair color and basically nothing else.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #24447 on: September 15, 2015, 12:56:10 pm »

I don't think that's true.

I mean SS3 literally just removed his eyebrows and made everything slightly more blond and glowey.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24448 on: September 15, 2015, 12:57:45 pm »

I don't think that's true.

I mean SS3 literally just removed his eyebrows and made everything slightly more blond and glowey.

Yes and essentially SS4 (or rather Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan) is his SS1 with Blue hair and Super Saiyan God is normal mode with orange hair.

I don't think you are meant to take it seriously at all. Rather then having the "half and half" the previous series had.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #24449 on: September 15, 2015, 01:28:28 pm »

Just had a conversation with my friend that reminded me of how displeased I was when I tried to watch Gatchaman Crowds over the summer.

I wound up having to drop it a bit more than halfway through because of how lied to I felt about the premise. Like I'm fine with plot twists and Madoka-esque tone shifts, but this was just takin all the tropes set up by the first episode, kicking them over a cliff, and then dancing over the burning remains while tossing iphones everywhere.

Like seriously, what even posessed them to slap the Gatchaman brand onto this show instead of just going with the original plan of just having it be called Crowds?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 03:23:11 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF
Pages: 1 ... 1628 1629 [1630] 1631 1632 ... 2193