Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1626 1627 [1628] 1629 1630 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3055827 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #24405 on: September 12, 2015, 07:16:56 am »

I watched more of what I consider to be "Ghibli-likes" in the form of 'Nasu: Summer in Andalusia' and it's sequel 'Nasu Suitcase no Wataridori' about a professional cyclist named Pepe. The story is that he's cycling his precious little heart out, and that's it. Surprisingly fun and charming.

To be fair, it is by a former Ghibli Animation Supervisor Kitaro Kosaka, who helped make Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke, but he moved over to Madhouse for this one so I guess it'd be more accurate to say it's Ghibli-related.

EDIT: Also, I finished Space Dandy. Very bizarre ending with not nearly as much Dandy as I was hoping for, but we got a lot of Honey so I guess it's alright.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 07:36:14 am by JoshuaFH »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #24406 on: September 12, 2015, 07:44:43 am »

I tried to read the LNs of that, but I had to drop the series about two or three paragraphs into the first volume. Maybe it was just the translator, but it read like a primary schooler's description of a comic book full of sound effects.
Oddly enough, from what I've seen of some folks talking about it, it... sorta' gets better? The LNs appear to be higher quality than either the manga or the anime, and are good enough on characterization you actually get non-hostile, vaguely appreciative commentary on several of the characters (main character bunnydude included) and scenarios/plot points from folks that are generally fairly discerning.

It's still largely harem/fanservice pandering, but danmachi apparently doesn't let that burden it as much as many of its ilk does.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #24407 on: September 12, 2015, 12:19:33 pm »

Fan-translated (or even officially translated) stories are always a bit of a crapshoot, because you are wagering on not only the author's skill as a writer, but the translator's skill as a writer as well. I can think of several examples where excellent stories in their native language have been turned into absolute garbage due to bad translation. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #24408 on: September 12, 2015, 12:23:04 pm »

Fan-translated (or even officially translated) stories are always a bit of a crapshoot, because you are wagering on not only the author's skill as a writer, but the translator's skill as a writer as well. I can think of several examples where excellent stories in their native language have been turned into absolute garbage due to bad translation. :P

Wait, translators write too? I thought that the translator handed off the translated script to another writer.

Naïve of me, I know.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24409 on: September 12, 2015, 12:26:05 pm »

Huh? Translation is the task of taking one language and converting it to another. There is no intermediate stage called a "script". There is prose in one language, which is converted to prose in another language, intended to convey the spirit of the original piece of work, more than the literal word choice. And the person making the decisions has always been someone with a strong knowledge of both languages, because only they understand the idioms in both languages and the cultural significance. Translation has been like this for thousands of years. Maybe you're thinking of literary translators as the same thing as translators who are hired to translate spoken conversations. They're not the same thing at all. Translating French to English modern speech in realtime is nothing at all like sitting down and translating a book of poems from French to English. Literary translators translate both fiction and non-fiction books into other languages, and it's their job to make readable output, not just do a word-replace.

What you're calling a "writer", is in fact what they call an "editor": the guy or gal who pretties up any writers output. But just about every writer uses an editor, even JK Rowling.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 12:51:23 pm by Reelya »

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24410 on: September 12, 2015, 03:22:22 pm »

It reminds me a lot of Valkyria Chronicles... the game not the anime.

Where in the game (the GOOD version of the story) Welkin was a weirdo with his head in the clouds, but was in fact incredibly intelligent. Thus a lot of what Welkin and Alisa's relationship was, was about mutual respect. (In the anime... they super downplay Welkin's weirdness)

So I am sure later she will respect him.

By the by don't watch the anime of Valkyria Chronicles... Just watch a Letsplay of the game... much more fulfilling.

Though actually... You should watch the anime after seeing the game. If only so you understand the process I shall call "Animization". Where something is made less interesting by amplifying anime tropes in the thing being adapted.

Was reminded that I have the game in my Steam by this post and started playing it...it's pretty fun, but geez it's got a lot of cutscenes. I'll have to watch the anime after, because the game itself feels like it's pretty close to just being an anime as it is.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24411 on: September 12, 2015, 03:24:12 pm »

Well... I'll just say... Tell me when you get to the first boss... In the anime.

I want to hear your thoughts.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24412 on: September 12, 2015, 03:26:33 pm »

Well... I'll just say... Tell me when you get to the first boss... In the anime.

I want to hear your thoughts.

I want to finish the game first before I watch it, though, so it'll probably be a while. But I'll pop in when I do.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24413 on: September 13, 2015, 03:52:03 am »

I just finished The Tale of the Princess Kaguya. An awesome pastel colored story. With this viewing I've now watched almost all Ghibli movies with the exception 'When Marnie was There' and 'Ocean Waves'

And nearly their entire roster of shorts, MVs, commercials, and videogames. I haven't experienced those either, but PFFFt whateva.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #24414 on: September 13, 2015, 04:37:17 am »

I really want to get in to Fist of the North Star but I can't watch the original anime adaptation (the one that's on Crunchyroll). It... shows it's age, to say the least. Has there been a better adaptation, or should I look in to reading the manga?

I have to say though, the theme song of the original show is one of my favorite anime themes ever.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24415 on: September 13, 2015, 05:31:25 am »

I really want to get in to Fist of the North Star but I can't watch the original anime adaptation (the one that's on Crunchyroll). It... shows it's age, to say the least. Has there been a better adaptation, or should I look in to reading the manga?

I have to say though, the theme song of the original show is one of my favorite anime themes ever.

Oh yeah there's a modern take, it's called Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, or as I call it: Fist of the North FABULOUS edition with 50% more homoeroticism.

But if you want a serious answer, there's Legend of the Dark King, which covers the story from the perspective of the primary antagonist.

There's also Fist of the Blue Sky, which takes place 50 years prior to the show and follows Kenshiro's great uncle, also named Kenshiro as he whoops the shit outta China.

There's some graphically updated OVAS and that very briefly and very spuriously cover important events from the show.

But in all honesty, if you want the full FOTNS experience then you gotta watch all 100-ish eps of the old series and love it wrinkles n' all. Then watch the sequel series which is similarly long.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24416 on: September 13, 2015, 10:27:39 am »

JoJo's anime adaptation is a recent thing, but the JoJo manga dates from 1986, vs 1983 for Fist of the North Star. So JoJo is definitely the go-to series if you want an overpowered retro shonen action story, but with modern graphics.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24417 on: September 13, 2015, 05:41:12 pm »

Wow... Dragon Ball really did get hit with Bleach Syndrome.

I guess it had to, otherwise it would be completely unwatchable.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24418 on: September 13, 2015, 05:42:32 pm »

Shouldn't that be the other way around? Bleach got hit with Dragonball Z syndrome?
* Sirus has not actually seen Bleach
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #24419 on: September 13, 2015, 05:44:41 pm »

... could be talking about the new one(s?), I guess?

E: Or maybe neo is experiencing time backwards, ala merlin.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 1626 1627 [1628] 1629 1630 ... 2193