Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1623 1624 [1625] 1626 1627 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3055904 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #24360 on: September 08, 2015, 10:39:57 am »

Ep 3-4 are very talky, but eps 5-7 have all the fight scenes so you might want to hold out till then.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24361 on: September 08, 2015, 10:48:01 am »

Everything in the show feels so bizarre and out of place as well. The bizarre uniforms that are worn both in and out of school, the magic guns, just having the 'magic' expounded on at length in nonsensical programming-speak, the forced incestuous vibe...

The prologue mentions that the world just narrowly averted thermonuclear war, I'm starting to feel like that would have been preferable.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24362 on: September 08, 2015, 10:57:05 am »

I'm just reading some fan's review of the start of the second arc, which is an interhigh sports carnival that goes for 10 episodes and feels like it's never going to end. After part 2 luckily things pick up with a 9-episode interhigh debating contest. Which is luckily for us viewers attacked by terrorists.

The fans main complaint is that they go through the source material too fast and skim over a lot of the important technobabble. So what we're seeing is a sped-up Mahouka without 90% of the talky bits. I'm guessing that without condensing it, the sports-carnival arc could easily have been made into an entire 26 episodes by itself. This is a common claim from fans defending the series, they talk about all the exposition and backstory and technobabble details that got cut from the show, and claim that if only this material was left it, it would have saved the show ... clearly lack of dialogue hurt the show.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 11:02:38 am by Reelya »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24363 on: September 08, 2015, 11:09:22 am »

I mean, one of my favorite shows is Gambling Apocalypse Kaiji, which in the second season has our main character Kaiji sitting in a chair and screaming at a machine for 10+ episodes, so I can kinda forgive sequences that go on for far too long so long as they're interesting for the entire ride. But I doubt that Mahouka is up to the challenge of being interesting at any point in time.

But I feel I'm goin on too long for what are basically my first impressions of the show, so I'll clam up for now.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #24364 on: September 08, 2015, 07:00:04 pm »

I mean, one of my favorite shows is Gambling Apocalypse Kaiji, which in the second season has our main character Kaiji sitting in a chair and screaming at a machine for 10+ episodes
Best season

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24365 on: September 08, 2015, 07:17:58 pm »

-snip

I read the manga before the anime release and it was 10 times more stupid. That two-tier system literally lasted for like 3 chapters before it all went to bust and forgotten. Mr. Stu acted like he had bunch of weaknesses until we get like "I take long times to incantate spells and save them for later" or "This magic is very diffuicult" while blowing a whole building up. Side characters are completely side characters who is only there to either be a: beaten up by Stu or b: fascinated by Stu. Fucking fanfaction down to its core cause the author was so damn cheesy and couldn't write a fucking decent story without hurting his precious MC.

This was the same time Nisekoi was getting popular and actually like the first couple of volumes until the author said fuck it we are going to unending harem mode. Fuck the main story, thats never referenced again.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #24366 on: September 08, 2015, 10:29:05 pm »

That smile in the newest UQ Holder ;_;
It's FEF, not FEOF

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24367 on: September 09, 2015, 07:42:37 am »

This tournament arc of Fairy Tail is really good. Aside from it having proper animation, the fights are great, the Fairy Tail guild is kicking ass, and the heroes aren't being unrealistically challenged.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24368 on: September 09, 2015, 08:12:55 am »

I read the manga before the anime release and it was 10 times more stupid. That two-tier system literally lasted for like 3 chapters before it all went to bust and forgotten.

I got the feeling that the author started with the two-tier system but decided to drop the concept pretty quickly. And it's very jarring because in the first part, Tatsuya is talking from the oppressed side, but when the writer retconned out the prejudice, Tatsuya is suddenly lecturing other low-borns about not trying to rise above their station, because winners and losers is the natural order of life. And the siser extols at length how the test is wrong because it didn't recognize onii-sama's greatness, rather than saying it's wrong to divide the school into winners and losers, and give all the resources to the winners. Basically the author is outright defending elitist discrimination, as long we don't make a mistake as to who are the deserving superior people vs the undeserving inferior people.

It's ultra-jarring because the author laid on the prejudice really thickly at the start yet by episode 4, the hero is claiming that the oppression is all imaginary, and is because of ingrained loserism by the losers. But most of them are first year students at an elite academy, which is stated to only take the top 1% of national scorers. It doesn't make sense for any of them to have such ingrained loserism, since they did not have a history of us/them division before entering the school.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 08:33:36 am by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24369 on: September 09, 2015, 11:26:25 am »

This tournament arc of Fairy Tail is really good. Aside from it having proper animation, the fights are great, the Fairy Tail guild is kicking ass, and the heroes aren't being unrealistically challenged.

I frankly kind of hated it. It turns into a huge never ending bunch of anti-climaxes and a HUGE unfortunate amount of fanservice to sexist degrees.

Unrealistically challenged? :P they aren't even being challenged.

But that is kind of all I remember honestly... I think there was more to it then that... Probably that it didn't do what a tournament arc was supposed to and was just pretty boring and filler.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24370 on: September 09, 2015, 05:14:23 pm »

I frankly kind of hated it. It turns into a huge never ending bunch of anti-climaxes and a HUGE unfortunate amount of fanservice to sexist degrees.

Unrealistically challenged? :P they aren't even being challenged.

But that is kind of all I remember honestly... I think there was more to it then that... Probably that it didn't do what a tournament arc was supposed to and was just pretty boring and filler.
Yeah, the fanservice is awful, but the level of challenge the heroes are facing makes sense. Lauxus and Erza curbstomped their enemies but that makes sense because they're actually known as awesome sauce powerhouses. I'm just glad she's finally awesome rather than getting beaten just to make Natsu look good when he wins, despite her actually being stronger than him.

The others have either lost, gotten a draw, or only just barely managed to get a win. I've just finished watching Wendy's fight, by the way, so spoilers.

Natsu storming the Sabretooth hall was pretty cool too.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24371 on: September 09, 2015, 05:22:15 pm »

The issue is that the fights are either Curbstomps OR flat out impossible to win losses.

There is no real struggle to win.

But honestly it has been a long while since I saw it. For some reason I feel like I completely forgot it exists, all I can remember was how mad I was at how bad it got all of a sudden.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 07:51:50 pm by Neonivek »

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24372 on: September 10, 2015, 07:12:33 am »

The issue is that the fights are either Curbstomps OR flat out impossible to win losses.

There is no real struggle to win.

But honestly it has been a long while since I saw it. For some reason I feel like I completely forgot it exists, all I can remember was how mad I was at how bad it got all of a sudden.
I've just started watching the sequel series and you might like it. The heroes are getting challenged again, production qualities are slightly better (decently better when it comes to fight animations), and they've added some orchestral music. The downside is that the iconic Celtic music has decreased in both quantity and quality. It's not bad at all, really, just kinda par for the course.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24373 on: September 10, 2015, 03:06:19 pm »

Well after the Tournament Arc... Fairytail gets to its flat out worst arc of them all.

THEN it recovers with its Tartaros arc.

Honestly what I am mad at might have just been the arc after the tournament arc. Since other then the overwhelming sexism in the tournament arc I cannot remember much. Heck I thought the fact that the heroes just kicked everyone's butt to be refreshing outside a few fights where I kind of wish the enemy put up more of a fight.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24374 on: September 10, 2015, 10:53:47 pm »

Recommendation: Manga - Dungeon Meshi

Its about cooking and eating dungeon monsters.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation
Pages: 1 ... 1623 1624 [1625] 1626 1627 ... 2193