Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1609 1610 [1611] 1612 1613 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3057886 times)

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #24150 on: August 22, 2015, 12:41:58 am »

I think it's just that he read your post/posted/was in the process of posting before you had finished your highspeed edit Reelya.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #24151 on: August 22, 2015, 12:42:40 am »

@neo: ... mobile suits. There's not a separate name. Gundam, guntank, and guncannon, are all specific mobile suits, not... some kind of odd seperate category. In lore they were all designed for eventual mass production.* I guess if you're talking strictly the first series, you'd be thinking zeon mobile suits, but the GM and ball and whatnot showed up, too, if my memory's not completely failing me, so that doesn't really work.

As for the jegan, I'll give it this much: It's better than the GM :V

*And, indeed, eventually were -- there wasn't actually all that terribly much special about the gundam itself, except that freaking amuro the god of death was piloting it, and iirc zeon was producing suits with higher specs than the gundam by the end of the OYW in fairly decent numbers. There's actually a few other gundams running around concurrently with amuro's first walkabout, even, I do believe.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24152 on: August 22, 2015, 12:43:36 am »

No, the basics of what I wrote was in the first version. There's no actual reason to have 4 types even according to Neo's system.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #24153 on: August 22, 2015, 12:44:03 am »

Is it wrong that I was more excited about the idea of a KanColle-esque show based on the background artwork than the actual Gundam stuff? (Not that I'm hating on you guys, I've just never been a big fan of giant robot shows in general :P).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #24154 on: August 22, 2015, 12:45:35 am »

Then what are Mobile suits that are explicitly not Gundams, Guncannons, or Guntanks called?
As a general category?  They're called mobile suits.  All Gundams are mobile suits, but not all mobile suits are Gundams.  Or Guncannons or Guntanks, for that matter, though those are actually specific production models.  They might be called by their model if you're being more specific, though: Zaku, GM, Rick Dias, Jegan, or what have you. 

Actually, what makes an MS a Gundam can be sometimes tricky to discern, especially once all mobile weapons began using gundarium alloy.  Rule of thumb is basically that (a) it's a Federation model (Zeon and the Jovians do not build Gundams, though they may steal them; they have their own in-house designers), and (b) that it's basically a kitchen-sink prototype.  The most practical way is to check if it has the word "Gundam" in its name.  That'll get most of them, except oddball names like the Hyaku Shiki (Delta Gundam) or Penelope (Odysseus Gundam with Fixed Flight attachment).  And that's just UC; the definition itself changes based on which setting you're in. 

NOTQUITEANEDIT: Good heavens, y'all move fast.  Half a dozen new replies while I was checking on UC Gundams for any I missed.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 12:47:58 am by Culise »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #24155 on: August 22, 2015, 12:49:08 am »

Well, and some of the odd ones in the other direction... I'm pretty sure the B Gundam doesn't really count as a gundam :P

I mean, it probably should, because it's amazing (even if its performance is even worse than what it's patterned off of :V), but still.
Ask not!
Ask!

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #24156 on: August 22, 2015, 12:55:49 am »

@neo: ... mobile suits. There's not a separate name. Gundam, guntank, and guncannon, are all specific mobile suits, not... some kind of odd seperate category. In lore they were all designed for eventual mass production.* I guess if you're talking strictly the first series, you'd be thinking zeon mobile suits, but the GM and ball and whatnot showed up, too, if my memory's not completely failing me, so that doesn't really work.

As for the jegan, I'll give it this much: It's better than the GM :V

*And, indeed, eventually were -- there wasn't actually all that terribly much special about the gundam itself, except that freaking amuro the god of death was piloting it, and iirc zeon was producing suits with higher specs than the gundam by the end of the OYW in fairly decent numbers. There's actually a few other gundams running around concurrently with amuro's first walkabout, even, I do believe.

Well the Gundam did have the advantage of having the first beam weapons and basically being bulletproof due to its special expensive alloy, which is pretty much the only thing that was keeping Amuro alive until that was pointed out to him in the Ramba Ral arc.

The amount of Gundams that were running around in the One Year War according to side materials can get pretty hilarious at times. There's the Ground Gundams + EZ-8, the Alex, the Gundam Pixie(s), the Full Armor, the Heavy Gundam, the G04, the G05, the G-3 Gundam, the Waterproof Gundams, Blue Destiny Unit 2, Blue Destiny Unit 3, and the Mudrock Gundam.

Is it wrong that I was more excited about the idea of a KanColle-esque show based on the background artwork than the actual Gundam stuff? (Not that I'm hating on you guys, I've just never been a big fan of giant robot shows in general :P).
That was actually what I was posting about. The Super Fumina showed up as a joke in the last episode of Build Fighters Try and so it's kinda hilarious that it's getting its own kit :P
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 12:59:27 am by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #24157 on: August 22, 2015, 01:08:19 am »

... wasn't that special alloy just luna titanium? I mean, it was definitely an advantage when it was first fielded, but they were eventually loading up a buncha' junk with that stuff, iirc. Though checking it does look like it was primarily around key areas instead of the whole thing...

Beam rifle was definitely a big deal, but it was also something that was mostly ubiquitous after a bit. Was the point I was tryin' to make, that there wasn't anything really special about the gundam except its pilot. Everything about it was (in some cases fairly rapidly, as in the case of the beam weaponry) disseminated out.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 01:11:10 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #24158 on: August 22, 2015, 01:19:34 am »

Ah yeah agreed.
It's FEF, not FEOF

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24159 on: August 22, 2015, 10:34:09 am »

So naturally after watching Ashita no Joe, I decide to pick up Ashita no Joe 2. I'm loving it so far, the art style and cinematography is extremely similar to the Black Jack OVA, which I just adore.

Will be continuing strongly.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24160 on: August 22, 2015, 10:01:40 pm »

Finally got around to watching Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works (it's on Netflix!) I was really excited because Rin's always been my favorite character (her and Illyasviel) in the show, and the entire first episode was the story from her point of view. Then I realize that it was labelled Prologue and we're back to Emiya. So sad :( I'm sure it'll be great though, I haven't played through any of the game past the beginning so it'll be neat to see what's different in this route.

Also, the animation is WAY PRETTY (that first fight scene...the particles...) which is great since most of these first episodes are not really different from the anime at all.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 10:05:15 pm by quinnr »
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #24161 on: August 22, 2015, 10:05:30 pm »

Finally got around to watching Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works (it's on Netflix!) I was really excited because Rin's always been my favorite character in the show, and the entire first episode was the story from her point of view. Then I realize that it was labelled Prologue and we're back to Emiya. So sad :(
Oh thank god, it wasn't just me.

Ah, but seriously, I actually endorse that one with no reservations (that I can think of right now). It's like, sometime after Fate/Zero, the Nasuverse was struck by lightning and split in two. The evil half went on to become Prisma Illya and peeps in children's dressing rooms, while the good half became this version of UBW and hits existential angst with swords.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #24162 on: August 22, 2015, 10:24:39 pm »

Finally got around to watching Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works (it's on Netflix!) I was really excited because Rin's always been my favorite character in the show, and the entire first episode was the story from her point of view. Then I realize that it was labelled Prologue and we're back to Emiya. So sad :(
Oh thank god, it wasn't just me.
Pretty sure everyone would have preferred it from Rin's POV.

I liked Fate/Zero more than UBW, myself. Mostly because there was more time spent exploring all the servant/master relationships and forms thereof, and less of the funky Archer x Rin x Emiya x Saber love polygon nonsense.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #24163 on: August 22, 2015, 10:34:13 pm »

Oh, I liked Fate/Zero better, too, but I have reservations about recommending it to people. For example, I have to say, "Okay, please overlook pretty much everything about Sakura". It's not that it's not better, it's just that Fate/Zero has a bunch of extra stuff that I feel compelled to disclaim.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24164 on: August 22, 2015, 10:50:23 pm »

So, episode 8 of Charlotte is out now. (And I just realized it's on Hulu...geez they actually keep that stuff up to date now. What a good time.)
Spoiler: Charlotte (click to show/hide)

Also the last day that I'm going to be alone for a while so hopefully there won't be any tears in what I binge watch tonight. New roommate who I'm pretty sure won't like anime as much as my old roommate :( It's definitely not the same watching without a friend.

EDIT: Also, Key does a really good job at incorporating music into their shows.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 11:15:57 pm by quinnr »
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.
Pages: 1 ... 1609 1610 [1611] 1612 1613 ... 2193