Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1608 1609 [1610] 1611 1612 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3057893 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #24135 on: August 21, 2015, 11:34:23 pm »

I think they are guncannons >_>

All I remember is that Gundams are infantry, Guntanks are tanks, and Gunguns are artillery.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #24136 on: August 21, 2015, 11:37:11 pm »

... I guess it's nice to invent random categories instead of just going by what the series itself uses...? And yeah, neo, your memory is completely shot. Like. Entirely. Pretty sure gungun was never used as a word in the series, and both gundams and guntanks and most of the artiliery (i.e. xamels, zaku cannons, etc.) are all mobile suits (except when they're mobile armors :P). Series does have tanks, but they're not guntanks and they're also more or less completely irrelevant except to get stepped on by zakus for a bit in the beginning of the very first show.

Though OW's statement is now making me try to recall if one of the gundam shows ever had a bit/funnel cannon. I'm not sure if it'd exactly help to have a funnel launching gun emplacement like that, but... well, they made weirder stuff, I guess.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24137 on: August 21, 2015, 11:38:21 pm »

I know Frumple but there are Mobile Suits who are only Mobile Suits. So I made Mobile Suit a major denomination of Mobile Suits.

Still think they might be Guncannons... hmmm

Also yes you are right Guntanks and Guncannons pretty much only existed in the original and were swiftly buried... Even though story wise they were just as valid as the Gundam (just better at other things)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 11:40:13 pm by Neonivek »

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #24138 on: August 21, 2015, 11:53:27 pm »

You are thinking of Guncannons.

Actually the Guntank and Guncannons have a lot of variations and descendants, and while most of the direct descendants were made during the One Year War, you can see their influence continue into the later eras, most obviously with the Guncannon as around 70% of the EF grunt MS have a cannon variant of some kind. The Guntank's descendants were kinda dropped after the One Year War, though the Guntank II remained in service up until Unicorn at least, but it eventually was revisited through direct descendants such as the Loto and eventually the Guntank R-44 in the Late UC era. When it comes to AUs the Guntank tends to not have many imitators, but there are quite a few MS with Cannon variants out there.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 12:08:12 am by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24139 on: August 21, 2015, 11:58:49 pm »

Goodness Fairy tail.

I am starting to miss how One Piece used to have absolutely no one die.

Since this arc feels like so much potential is just being outright massacred left and right. It feels so wasteful and pointless other then to make the villains, who were ALREADY bested, seem "uber elite yo".

I have mixed feelings... On the one hand this is a pretty decent arc... On the other hand it feels like Fairy Tail might be ending soon.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #24140 on: August 22, 2015, 12:01:47 am »

... I guess it's nice to invent random categories instead of just going by what the series itself uses...? And yeah, neo, your memory is completely shot. Like. Entirely. Pretty sure gungun was never used as a word in the series, and both gundams and guntanks and most of the artiliery (i.e. xamels, zaku cannons, etc.) are all mobile suits (except when they're mobile armors :P). Series does have tanks, but they're not guntanks and they're also more or less completely irrelevant except to get stepped on by zakus for a bit in the beginning of the very first show.

Though OW's statement is now making me try to recall if one of the gundam shows ever had a bit/funnel cannon. I'm not sure if it'd exactly help to have a funnel launching gun emplacement like that, but... well, they made weirder stuff, I guess.

The Gadelaza had giant Fangs which carried other Fangs, but that's more of a sword that shoots swords :P.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 12:06:02 am by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #24141 on: August 22, 2015, 12:15:30 am »

The AMX-015 Geymalk has funnels that shoot more funnels.  I think that's all I can find, though. 

That said, I've always had a soft spot for the less humanoid designs.  That TK-53 looks really cute.  The angle to the legs of the other designs kinda feel like...umm, what was it...Fafnir of the Azure?  I kinda feel like some aerial design also had similar forward-balanced leg structures. I think it's partially the high heels, too; they don't really help. 

((That said about high heels, while digging around for an old flowchart of mecha evolution to review the descendants of the Guntank and Guncannon, I did stumble across this little wonder...))

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #24142 on: August 22, 2015, 12:18:04 am »

The AMX-015 Geymalk has funnels that shoot more funnels.  I think that's all I can find, though. 

That said, I've always had a soft spot for the less humanoid designs.  That TK-53 looks really cute.  The angle to the legs of the other designs kinda feel like...umm, what was it...Fafnir of the Azure?  I kinda feel like some aerial design also had similar forward-balanced leg structures. I think it's partially the high heels, too; they don't really help. 

((That said about high heels, while digging around for an old flowchart of mecha evolution to review the descendants of the Guntank and Guncannon, I did stumble across this little wonder...))

This is probably the most complete one I've found.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 12:22:18 am by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #24143 on: August 22, 2015, 12:21:28 am »

That seems to be loads better than the one I found.  Or at least, certainly more comprehensive. Thank you. ^_^

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #24144 on: August 22, 2015, 12:23:41 am »

No problem. Speaking of which, there's an upcoming manga that takes place in UC 0096 starring a set of suits based off the original trio. Featuring the most imaginatively named mobile suit, THE CANNONGUN

...also the stupidly placed G-First. Jesus Bandai I love the G-Self, but if you're gonna start putting its ancestry into the timeline, at least have it be in the Late Universal Century where it would make sense for it to show up.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 12:27:54 am by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24145 on: August 22, 2015, 12:27:33 am »

I'm not sure why you're counting Gundams as a separate class to mobile suits, Neo. The entire title of the show is Mobile Suit Gundam. I mean, structurally there's much less difference between Gundam and a Zaku than many of the specialized units that the Zeons throw up against the crew. If you're counting Gundam as it's own unique category then every Zeon special unit needs it's own category too.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #24146 on: August 22, 2015, 12:28:53 am »

... my favorite mobile suit (not counting the zaku, anyway, since it's the best thing in the entire franchise :P) is probably the xamel, personally. Ain't much better than a great hulking monstrosity packing a gun longer than some other MS are tall, and it's not as silly looking as some of the other beefy ones. Got a menacing sort of moxy to it, without being one of the superweapon/end-boss machines. I've always liked the ones that have presence -- like they can take a cannon to the face and just keep going, and do it by dint of sheer weight instead of some sort of space magic.

S'always made me kinda' sad it never seems to be the protag faction that has the weighty machines. Always the bad guys have the stuff with oomph :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24147 on: August 22, 2015, 12:29:26 am »

Also been watching Food Wars and it has kind of been driving me nuts in terms of how the school is set up, the contests, the unfair criteria, the instant elimination (Goodness what happens to your tuition?)

Then I came to a stunning realization that will rock the world forever!

The School in Food Wars is not a very good school... in fact so far it doesn't even qualify as a school

I mean I've been wracking my brain to legitimize this school, but in the end no... along with Hogwarts it just isn't very good.

I'm not sure why you're counting Gundams as a separate class to mobile suits, Neo. The entire title of the show is Mobile Suit Gundam.

Then what are Mobile suits that are explicitly not Gundams, Guncannons, or Guntanks called?

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #24148 on: August 22, 2015, 12:35:55 am »

My favorite MS is probably the G-Self at the moment. I really like the organic shapes and distinctive colors of the RC era MS, and love their design philosophy of Pack As Many Weapons As Possible Into Every Inch Of The Frame. And the G-Self is just so delightfully fun bullshit. I'll probably buy it's MG kit in a heartbeat as soon as it gets announced. After that one it would probably be the Jegan and its variants.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 01:30:50 am by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24149 on: August 22, 2015, 12:40:35 am »

Then what are Mobile suits that are explicitly not Gundams, Guncannons, or Guntanks called?

You're not even making sense now, or not reading what I wrote.

Gundam, the main one. Is a mobile suit. The same design class as a Zaku. So now you only need 3 categories : mobiles suits, mobile artillery, mobile tanks.

It's clear that if you're dividing things along that line it completely fails to capture all the weird things that the Zeon make too, like Big Zam.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 12:42:28 am by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 1608 1609 [1610] 1611 1612 ... 2193