Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1601 1602 [1603] 1604 1605 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3058523 times)

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #24030 on: August 16, 2015, 05:38:23 pm »

I thought people did go bonkers en masse.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #24031 on: August 16, 2015, 05:47:13 pm »

Yeah, pretty much. Bit over 1/3rd (~3.8 thousand) of the 10k populace in the first bit died, and a lot of that was to explicit suicide or suicidal insanity. Lotta' people went bugnuts, though from what I understand it didn't get too terribly much screen time.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
« Reply #24032 on: August 16, 2015, 11:05:17 pm »

A friend of mine recently introduced me to Fairy Tail. Within the first few episodes I have been exposed to a Lawful Good sweet girl and avid reader who for some reason fights with a spade-tailed whip; a spiky-haired dude with the most badass longcoat I've ever seen who also happens to be a compulsive stripper; and my personal favorite, a black guy in sunglasses who slices 'n dices with scissors and greatly enjoys emasculating his foes by snipping off their glorious beards mid-battle.

These things are related.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24033 on: August 16, 2015, 11:19:05 pm »

I love Fairy Tail Good luck!

I warn you the anime does get REALLY bad and generic during the tournament arc but good news! it recovers!

It oddly fails at Tournament arcs >_>

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #24034 on: August 17, 2015, 12:11:25 am »

... y'know, I've changed my mind on the god of highschool being shoddy. It's not just shoddy, it's a good shoddy. All over the gorram place in a lot of ways, but somewhere around half way through it became more engaging. Don't ask me to pinpoint exactly why (Maybe it's the stand knockoffs?), but it actually gets kinda' nice as things go along.

I... still probably wouldn't recommend it. But as second-string stuff goes, it's pretty alright, and the style's pretty nice, if somewhat inconsistently so.

Also, after a point the eyes start becoming amusing. Like, half the cast has funky eyes. Still not sure what the hell's going on with the MC's.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 12:13:05 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24035 on: August 17, 2015, 12:47:40 am »

I always was convinced that so many animes take place in Highschool was because your ordinary Japanese citizen living in one of their tightly packed Can-of-sardines cities lives a daily life of unfulfilling frustration and stress, and the last time they experienced genuine happiness was in the rose-tinted halcyon days of their youth in Highschool. So they just "write what you know" or at the very least perceive that they know.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24036 on: August 17, 2015, 12:51:33 am »

I always was convinced that so many animes take place in Highschool was because your ordinary Japanese citizen living in one of their tightly packed Can-of-sardines cities lives a daily life of unfulfilling frustration and stress, and the last time they experienced genuine happiness was in the rose-tinted halcyon days of their youth in Highschool. So they just "write what you know" or at the very least perceive that they know.

To me it has to do with just the structure of highschool being basically perfect.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24037 on: August 17, 2015, 01:04:29 am »

So I'm still catching up on Charlotte. I...don't know how I feel about it yet.

It's a pretty different boat than Angel Beats, though. No tears here. Although...both of them do have a plot that is linked to supernatural things happening that end when you graduate high school, so there's that similarity.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 01:36:31 am by quinnr »
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #24038 on: August 17, 2015, 02:30:35 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

In other news, School-Live most certainly is not the moe schoolgirl shenanigans I was expecting. Kinda glad I went into it without knowing anything.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24039 on: August 17, 2015, 02:34:30 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

In other news, School-Live most certainly is not the moe schoolgirl shenanigans I was expecting. Kinda glad I went into it without knowing anything.
Spoiler: Charlotte (click to show/hide)
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24040 on: August 17, 2015, 02:46:10 am »

Don't overestimate how widespread the popularity of anime is in Japan. A few thousand dvds is considered good sales of an anime DVD volume, compared to mainstream live action films which will be watched by millions of people. Almost all this stuff we're talking about is incredibly niche, and the majority of Japanese people are definitely less familiar with the whole range of available titles than us in this thread, so it's not really possible to draw conclusions about Japanese people as a whole from this.

Also, the school setting is far more prevalent in shonen and shoujo, which are created specifically for younger audiences, than they are in anything created for an adult audience, so that kind of puts into question whether nostalgia is the main thing, or whether they're creating a lot of teen material that is in fact aimed at teens.

Anyway, whether or not nostalgia is at play, your analysis of Japanese high school seems totally off. Japanese highschool is not fun and games, so I doubt that the vast bulk of Japanese people had a carefree highschool life which they look back on with fondness in their grim adult life. I'm betting that adult life gives you a lot more freedom: In highschool you had exams, parents pressuring you to do well, cram school etc. And they have to do entrance exams every 3 years to get into the next school. Once you're an adult you can drink and have sex, live on your own etc. Much better.

Also you're overestimating how crowded Japan is. It has less population density than Holland, Belgium or Israel, and I doubt you consider any of those crowded places.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 03:15:13 am by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24041 on: August 17, 2015, 02:51:28 am »

In all fairness the differences between what makes it as a anime and what makes it as a manga can make sense.

Since well.. Action isn't very exciting in manga form (unless you like the cliff notes of battles) but can look awesome in Anime form.

But if you want to see what happens to an anime when it uses the fight from a manga move for move... watch Saint Saiya and the Lost Canvas with its "Turn based RPG battle"

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #24042 on: August 17, 2015, 02:54:17 am »

High school is a good source of BAD BOYZ WHO DON'T PLAY BY THE RULEZ shounen archetype characters. If you're out of school, it's improbable (besides hikikomori) that you're unemployed or a troublemaker, at least from what little I understand of Japanese culture (never been there, just read a little bit).

Besides, high school is a convenient place that every character has to be, as well as a source of new characters. Need to force two characters together that wouldn't normally meet? They pass eachother in the hallway! Need a new character? New student!
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #24043 on: August 17, 2015, 03:07:52 am »

BTW, Japanese people don't have rose-colored highschool lives. They have cram school and huge exam pressure.
And they have school on Saturdays. You can't possibly be happy in life if you go to school on Saturdays.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24044 on: August 17, 2015, 04:02:19 am »

High school is a good source of BAD BOYZ WHO DON'T PLAY BY THE RULEZ shounen archetype characters. If you're out of school, it's improbable (besides hikikomori) that you're unemployed or a troublemaker, at least from what little I understand of Japanese culture (never been there, just read a little bit).

Well that and the context is different.

The "Bad boy who don't play by the rules" in a job setting isn't a good guy, he is very much a bad guy. The kind of guy who if he was still hired you wish he wasn't. Why? Because he doesn't do his work thus you have to pick up the slash.

A bad boy who doesn't play by the rules in a school setting doesn't really affect you, your grades, or your life really.

---

Ewww... Watching Food Wars and this woman cut up cow meat and showed that the meat was extremely marbled.

And I was like "Ewww! Do you know what they have to do to make a cow give meat like that?"

At least it is finally an anime that knows how to draw meat and make it look tasty...

Though the woman also starts cooking with butter and JUST the smell of butter alone is enough to make people fawn over her dish. Its freeken butter! There is nothing special about it. Dear goodness I know food shows exaggerate to hell and back about how dang good their food is, but these people keel over the most mundane stuff.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 04:15:52 am by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 1601 1602 [1603] 1604 1605 ... 2193