Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1598 1599 [1600] 1601 1602 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3061176 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #23985 on: August 15, 2015, 01:49:30 am »

Rub is some folks don't find that sort of conflict to be interesting. I know I'm kinda' iffy about it, m'self -- those bits of NGE never really peaked my interest, when I watched it.

So they replace it with different conflicts, making it more interesting through that method. It's not like the setting doesn't have a dozen other venues for interesting barriers to story progression besides malicious incompetence, after all.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #23986 on: August 15, 2015, 01:55:34 am »

And a lot of interest in re-writing some sorts of stories comes from making it not a crapsack world, or making certain characters die, etc.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23987 on: August 15, 2015, 10:44:13 am »

Eeh. Two different sorts of fix-fics. There's ones that aim to fix problems with the setting to make it more interesting to read about, and then there's ones that aim to "fix" "problems" with the setting &c.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #23988 on: August 15, 2015, 11:02:14 am »

The type I'm talking about relies on the writer being good at what they do. For instance, someone rewriting Code Geass with the perspective that Shirley doesn't get killed, or One Piece where Ace doesn't get killed, or a version of Harry Potter where Voldemort somehow repents and so forth (it would have to be a rewrite of all his scenes to make him less evil.)

Obviously, if the writer is bad these will be horrible. But I just can't help but imagine how curiously interesting they would be if the writer knew their stuff.   
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23989 on: August 15, 2015, 11:44:09 am »

The type I'm talking about relies on the writer being good at what they do. For instance, someone rewriting Code Geass with the perspective that Shirley doesn't get killed, or One Piece where Ace doesn't get killed, or a version of Harry Potter where Voldemort somehow repents and so forth (it would have to be a rewrite of all his scenes to make him less evil.)

Obviously, if the writer is bad these will be horrible. But I just can't help but imagine how curiously interesting they would be if the writer knew their stuff.

Actually, you can rewrite stuff that leaves the scenes intact from the viewpoint of the main characters but changes the motivations behind the acts. I'm not very familiar with Harry Potter, but wasn't there a prophecy involving Harry and Voldemort? You could write a version where Voldemort was aware of the prophecies too, and had to "go along" with things even though he didn't actually want to do a lot of it. Maybe write it such that Voldemort actually has incredible prescience: "at 5pm today i will do such and such" to the point he no longer has much free will.

That could kind of deconstruct how baddies in fantasy series with prophecies always try and go against the prophecies even though they know it's impossible. Actually, they seem to have selective amnesia about the prophecies. If one part of the prophecy says they will become the king, they will have 100% faith in this part of the prophecy, yet paragraph 2 where it says "and then gets killed by the Hero", and suddenly they're like "well, it's just a prophecy, surely I can prevent that!"
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 11:48:42 am by Reelya »

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #23990 on: August 15, 2015, 01:02:31 pm »

Actually, you can rewrite stuff that leaves the scenes intact from the viewpoint of the main characters but changes the motivations behind the acts. I'm not very familiar with Harry Potter, but wasn't there a prophecy involving Harry and Voldemort? You could write a version where Voldemort was aware of the prophecies too, and had to "go along" with things even though he didn't actually want to do a lot of it. Maybe write it such that Voldemort actually has incredible prescience: "at 5pm today i will do such and such" to the point he no longer has much free will.

That could kind of deconstruct how baddies in fantasy series with prophecies always try and go against the prophecies even though they know it's impossible. Actually, they seem to have selective amnesia about the prophecies. If one part of the prophecy says they will become the king, they will have 100% faith in this part of the prophecy, yet paragraph 2 where it says "and then gets killed by the Hero", and suddenly they're like "well, it's just a prophecy, surely I can prevent that!"
In Harry Potter, at least, Voldy was aware of part of the prophecy as well, though, and also well aware that he only knows part of it.  It's actually the (series spoiler, in case someone popping in hasn't read the series yet)...
It's also a minor plot point that prophecies in HP are mutable, because Harry is not just the boy who survived, but the boy he chose; one other character matched every single detail of the prophecy as well, and if Voldemort had killed his parents instead, the first book would have been...
Spoiler: More minor spoilers (click to show/hide)

I think it's actually a logical consequence of certain assumptions, rather than selective amnesia.  If you decide that prophecies are mutable, then it makes perfect sense to go about them like an a la carte buffet.  "I'll take an order of emperorship with a side of world domination, hold the heroes."  It's not like these villains typically would have just sat back and stayed home if they had never heard the prophecy at all; they were already going for the emperorship with a side of world domination.  Heroes, certainly, are perfectly willing to turn the screws on prophecy as well if it doesn't suit them.  In both cases, it's not like they just decide to sit back and relax under the logic that the prophecy will do all the work for them.  Usually.  Though, that actually might make an interesting story as well; the heroes hear this prophecy that assumes they'll succeed, decide its true, and just sit back and wait for it to happen.  And wait, and wait...

EDIT: Fixed to take in account the post immediately below.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 01:30:36 pm by Culise »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #23991 on: August 15, 2015, 01:25:07 pm »

-snip-
I'm fine with your post (agree with it even), what I don't like is that you used transparent text for your spoilers. >:( There are many of us with sensible browsers that logically treat transparent text as "always transparent", not that silly "transparent until you highlight it" thing that some of you still seem to have. :P For those of us with said browsers, the only way to see your text is either to copy/paste it into a text document (which is a bit of a pain) or to click the quote button (which can also be a bit of a pain if we don't want to respond to you). Just something to keep in mind.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #23992 on: August 15, 2015, 01:29:22 pm »

-snip-
I'm fine with your post (agree with it even), what I don't like is that you used transparent text for your spoilers. >:( There are many of us with sensible browsers that logically treat transparent text as "always transparent", not that silly "transparent until you highlight it" thing that some of you still seem to have. :P For those of us with said browsers, the only way to see your text is either to copy/paste it into a text document (which is a bit of a pain) or to click the quote button (which can also be a bit of a pain if we don't want to respond to you). Just something to keep in mind.
Ah, sorry about that.  I had no idea there were browsers that worked that way; it seems distinctly odd to me from a usability and accessibility (depending on how it works with screen-readers) standpoint.  I've fixed my post.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #23993 on: August 15, 2015, 01:42:23 pm »

No, no... transparent is probably better for spoilers. Or better yet, transparent text inside spoilers. There's a lot of people that are apparently completely incapable of stopping themselves from looking inside spoiler boxes. People with cruddy browsers can suffer as they deserve :V
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23994 on: August 15, 2015, 01:44:11 pm »

No, no... transparent is probably better for spoilers. Or better yet, transparent text inside spoilers.

Unfortunately, we can't nest spoilers. That would make it quite a bit easier.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23995 on: August 15, 2015, 01:59:05 pm »

That still wouldn't solve the problem of people who pathalogically must open every spoiler. They couldn't stop themselves opening one spoiler and then there was nothing but a spoiler in it, labelled "really spoilery honest!" So, are they not going to open that one since the empty outer-spoiler sated their curiosity?

So is there going to be a heirarchy of spoileryness that posters must adhere to in a nested fashion. What if you opened a level-1 spoiler but the contents were clearly of a level-5 spoilery nature? You were lulled into a sense of security that spoilers didn't actually contain spoilery material, then you open one and - bang - entire end of a major series blown. If we had a convention with nested spoilers and level 1 spoilers were "safe enough" that people just opened them anyway, then it just moves the problem along while making the site harder to read.

Personally, I think rather than nested spoilers we need an alternate "Block" collapser which is for collapsed material that isn't spoilers, such as collapsing down images or walls of text, but indicating that they're not actually a spoiler. Perhaps, add some code such that automatically wraps images in a block if you spam a lot, or big, images? That would actually be pretty cool since it would be an anti-troll feature, as well as preventing newbs from posting too many images, and save time when you're trying to actually provide a gallery of images.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 02:11:17 pm by Reelya »

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23996 on: August 15, 2015, 03:25:39 pm »

That still wouldn't solve the problem of people who pathalogically must open every spoiler. They couldn't stop themselves opening one spoiler and then there was nothing but a spoiler in it, labelled "really spoilery honest!" So, are they not going to open that one since the empty outer-spoiler sated their curiosity?

Just have the last spoiler have the first spoiler inside it so they open spoilers forever.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #23997 on: August 15, 2015, 04:24:52 pm »

Just have the last spoiler have the first spoiler inside it so they open spoilers forever.

Hyperlink to a website where you can press buttons endlessly.

Rubidium

• Bay Watcher
  • Rubidium has RETURNED
    • View Profile
« Reply #23998 on: August 15, 2015, 05:04:06 pm »

That still wouldn't solve the problem of people who pathologically must open every spoiler. They couldn't stop themselves opening one spoiler and then there was nothing but a spoiler in it, labelled "really spoilery honest!" So, are they not going to open that one since the empty outer-spoiler sated their curiosity?

Hyperlink to a website where you can press buttons endlessly.
Think of your computer keys as buttons.
Rubidium has RETURNED!

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23999 on: August 15, 2015, 07:15:10 pm »

People should really put massive story spoilers behind proper tags, because damn am I lucky I already knew of the ones that just got dropped in this thread.
Pages: 1 ... 1598 1599 [1600] 1601 1602 ... 2193