Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1592 1593 [1594] 1595 1596 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3061516 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #23895 on: August 11, 2015, 08:23:05 pm »

an english-speaking newbie is far more likely to watch it on, y'know, television, where it's showing and being called "attack on titan" exclusively

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #23896 on: August 11, 2015, 08:35:48 pm »

Unless they are actually, you know, Canadian, or European, or one of the many other countries that don't necessarily have that same show available on tv, and are thus watching it over the internet instead. :P

Or if they aren't an absolute newbie, but are instead just a newcomer that has only seen a handful of shows. I know tons more people who watch all their anime over the internet than on a real tv. And because often animes get added to internet sites before they ever get an official english title (due to them only having subbed versions while being released), many sites put the japanese one in the "main" slot with the english ones in the "secondary" slot instead of vice-versa.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23897 on: August 11, 2015, 08:41:30 pm »

Unless they are actually, you know, Canadian, or European, or one of the many other countries that don't necessarily have that same show available on tv, and are thus watching it over the internet instead. :P
Yes but this is an almost entirely English-speaking forum. If they're speaking on this forum then that means they can understand English a lot more than Japanese. Since they understand English more than Japanese, they're far more likely to watch English versions of shows than Japanese.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23898 on: August 11, 2015, 08:55:18 pm »

Yes but this is an almost entirely English-speaking forum. If they're speaking on this forum then that means they can understand English a lot more than Japanese. Since they understand English more than Japanese, they're far more likely to watch English versions of shows than Japanese.
I'm a native English speaker. I'd guesstimate that ~85-90% of the shows I've watched have been subs. I know for a fact that that doesn't affect how they're labeled; it's as has been said repeatedly already: the naming is not a single rule. Some shows are known by the original name, some by the source name, and some equally by both. You're most likely to find what you're looking for if you search for the commonly used name, not by demanding that everyone adhere to your arbitrary standard. For that matter, a complete newcomer (in this day and age who still  only watches anime on cable TV) who isn't also a complete numbskull is about five seconds away from their search result for "[show name] Japanese title"

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23899 on: August 11, 2015, 09:01:00 pm »

Exactly. I'm not saying that they don't include both titles (as I mentioned before, in most sites searching either title will pull you to the same page), I'm just pointing out that in the handful of those sites that designate one title as a "main" one and the others as "secondary" ones, the common trend I see is to put the japanese title in the "main" slot.

So searching either title will still get you to the show, it's just that, for example, searching "attack on titan" on many sites will redirect you to a page that looks something like this:

Title: Shingeki no Kyojin
Alternate Titles: Attack on Titan
Genres: ....
Description: ...

Not that it necessarily means you should be forced to use either one, as noted before that comes down to personal preference. I'm just noting a general trend I often see on internet-based anime sites.
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #23900 on: August 11, 2015, 09:06:35 pm »

Nah, I mostly watch subs, not dubs. Japanese vocals, not english vocals. Can barely speak a lick of japanese. That being said, I use the english names for shows 90% of the time, unless it's an easy to remember japanese name, like Yuru Yuri or Nichijou, or abbreviation of a longass name, like Watamote or Oreimo.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23901 on: August 11, 2015, 09:12:43 pm »

There are times when English titles don't accurately reflect the source title (see: Sakamichi no Apollon, lit. Apollon on the slope, ENG: Kids on the Slope). Using the English name exclusively would severely hamper that person's attempt to find that anime name, and vice versa.

There is no right way to approach this of course. Just use the dang title together with its JP name at least once per post. Romaji titles are nowhere near as correct as they are also in English; just merely preferences people keep in mind, since not everyone can read Kanji.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #23902 on: August 11, 2015, 10:07:19 pm »

Can't we cut the crap by referring to things by whatever name and assume people can Google it to find both names? Assuming ignorance is pointless, much like this argument.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23903 on: August 11, 2015, 10:10:29 pm »

Can't we cut the crap by referring to things by whatever name and assume people can Google it to find both names? Assuming ignorance is pointless, much like this argument.

IDK how this started; but I agree people are not idiots they will use Google on anime they're interested in, and figure out its alternate title in no time flat.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23904 on: August 11, 2015, 10:16:02 pm »

Sub preference seems to be about 55% - 60% of the English speaking anime-watcher population. Seems consistent across the first three polls I came across:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 10:31:06 pm by Reelya »

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #23905 on: August 11, 2015, 10:30:29 pm »

I would have placed it around 70%, but I'm quite biased.

A large amount of Subs-only people such as me are scarred by the 4kids dub of One Piece, is my guess, so I guess it'll balance out over time, maybe?
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23906 on: August 11, 2015, 10:49:59 pm »

A large amount of Subs-only people such as me are scarred by the 4kids dub of One Piece, is my guess, so I guess it'll balance out over time, maybe?
Eh, honestly I watch subs not because of any "scare", but rather because of a few simple reasons:
1) With the exception of the very rarely simulcast shows, it's impossible to watch shows as they come out in the dubbed version. As such if you want to watch a brand new show as its airing you have to watch subs, because dubs don't exist.
2) Many times dubs don't capture the same feeling that subs do, or suffer from problems due to translations or even speech times making lines uncomfortable (such as where the same line takes much longer in Japanese than in English meaning that phrases... sound very... strange when they... say them).
3) There's plenty of humor and other aspects of Japanese culture that just don't translate into English that well due to not having equivalents. A basic example is a lot of stuff involving different levels of formality in certain words. For example in often the form of the word "you" with a level of politeness equal to "you horrible bastard" and the one with a level of politeness for "my glorious king" both just get translated to the same old English word "you" in the dubs, losing that gradient of information.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23907 on: August 11, 2015, 11:00:56 pm »

* Arcvasti shrugs

I have no real preference on subs vs dubs. I mostly choose based on which one the main character's voice sounds whinier in and then avoid that one.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #23908 on: August 11, 2015, 11:28:57 pm »

I don't like dubs because they always seem to get the pronunciations wrong. Also, a lot of Japanese language things (like senpai or onee-chan) translate hilariously badly into English and then I get distracted.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #23909 on: August 11, 2015, 11:50:41 pm »

* Arcvasti shrugs

I have no real preference on subs vs dubs. I mostly choose based on which one the main character's voice sounds whinier in and then avoid that one.
*cough*DBZ japanese femgoku*cough*
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.
Pages: 1 ... 1592 1593 [1594] 1595 1596 ... 2193