Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1578 1579 [1580] 1581 1582 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3060908 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #23685 on: August 02, 2015, 07:00:38 pm »

No offense Neonivek, but you have quite a way with backhanded compliments. :P

Taken just a very slightly different way, your statement appears to be a slam that generalizes all anime to have mary sues (which I'd argue is not true), rather than a compliment about how anime is one of the places where Mary Sues can be an example of how tropes are tools and aren't always bad (I'd link the tvtropes page but I don't hate you all). Now I'm not saying that that's what you intended it to be, but it might be something to keep in mind when posting comments about things that anime in general does. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23686 on: August 02, 2015, 07:04:37 pm »

No, anime doesn't consist entirely of Mary Sues and frankly YEAH there are even terrible Mary Sues within anime (Hey Ichigo... >_<)

Frankly Mary Sues don't even make up a significant portion of Animes except maybe Shonen where it is rather common.

I wanted to show the many good Mary Sues of anime to show that the common perception of "It is BAD!" is misguided and flat out wrong.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #23687 on: August 02, 2015, 07:59:12 pm »

The common conception of "It is BAD!" is common because it's ((commonly)) RIGHT. Yes, a Mary Sue is, I guess, not always a terrible thing (and in anime it often fits the worlds better than a more "regular" character would even be able to.) Still, I'm not sure what you're describing is totally stringent in keeping with what a Mary Sue really is. You can have characters with sue-ish traits or tendencies, but that doesn't make them one.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #23688 on: August 02, 2015, 08:33:48 pm »

Still, I'm not sure what you're describing is totally stringent in keeping with what a Mary Sue really is. You can have characters with sue-ish traits or tendencies, but that doesn't make them one.
This. You could argue Superman is a Mary Sue because this and this and that thing, for example, but he's not usually called out as one because he's missing a bunch of other criteria.

For that matter, main (and competent) characters in general tend to overlap with Mary Sues as far as being good at succeeding, seldom meaningfully failing, and having the story revolve around them. But without pushing those factors all the way and tacking a few more on, that's not enough to mark them as Sues. And conversely, of course, not everyone labeled a Sue is the main character, because there are ways to be obnoxiously perfect and important without being the literal titular character.

In the case of Akagi, for instance:
BUT it works with Akagi because his opponents are not only larger then life, a lot of the time, but also the world is a bit more realistic so to speak so even though Akagi is a Mary Sue he still actually has to overcome disadvantages or just flat out luck against him.
The first bit sounds like he's high powered rather than Suelike, since his awesome amazingness is countered by similar foes, and the latter part makes it sound like he sometimes fails and suffers setbacks and so on. Both of those are typically major points in a Sue- that they face no real opposition or challenge at any time, or when they do it's done completely awfully.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23689 on: August 03, 2015, 12:05:43 am »

Akagi flat out never loses, is constantly praised for being a genius without parallel, and never really has to struggle unless someone puts something upon his shoulders that no other human being on earth would be able to do. All without having any real emotional drive that would cause him even a moment's hesitation. Even Batman would bow to this guy.

He is along the lines of Master Cooking Boy (who I love by the way!) who managed to become a Super Chef without any real training after just a refresher course.

This. You could argue Superman is a Mary Sue because this and this and that thing, for example, but he's not usually called out as one because he's missing a bunch of other criteria.

Superman has dived right into Mary Sue syndrome quite a few times (sometimes to his benefit, and sometimes to his detriment). But most of the time he falls under "What if Dr. Who fought terrorists?"

In that a Mary Sue in one situation isn't a Mary Sue in another.

But Akagi doesn't fight equal or greater opponents. They all have to cheat or manipulate the situation in order to put Akagi at a disadvantage. He is flat out better than everyone and started the series better than everyone. The only thing he had to learn was the rules which he did in a single round. He doesn't really struggle because everything is according to plan and no one else can understand the genius of the depths of his strategy. He thinks on a level no other human being could POSSIBLE understand (and by the way that is a quote so it is canonical).

Akagi is literally a human being so intelligent that no other human being could understand him. Combined with an inhuman calm that could make him face death itself and never flinch. In a series where they have nothing better to do but constantly tell us these two facts. With opponents who are far inferior to him.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 12:10:11 am by Neonivek »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #23690 on: August 03, 2015, 05:51:24 am »

... man, wuxia manga, why are you doing... what you're doing. You're amusing, but every time I see the main heroine all I can think is "Toot toot here comes the incest train *chugachugachugachugachuga*"

This... Doupo Cangqiong thing. It's occasionally amusing. Can't really recommend it :V

Xun critter, maybe this brother fixation is not the best idea. Main character guy, please stop declaring your intent to screw your sister. You've got a harem chasing after you. Go for one of them, instead ;_;
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #23691 on: August 03, 2015, 11:51:21 am »

Well, I just got into Chinese cartoons. Being an absolute novice, I'm current watching Gurren Lagann, Nichijou and, uh, "Bodacious Space Pirates". I'm enjoying them. Could someone direct me to something similarly light-heated like Nichijou but still bearing a kind of quirky plot like Gurren Lagann?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #23692 on: August 03, 2015, 11:55:36 am »

... not. those aren't chinese. Is japanese. Ve... very different.

Also maybe Kill la Kill?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #23693 on: August 03, 2015, 11:59:09 am »

Also maybe Kill la Kill?

No, I'm fairly certain they're Chinese (/s!). Also, I tried Kill la Kill but it didn't really appeal to me. Of course, this was within the first few episodes, should I have stuck with it?

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #23694 on: August 03, 2015, 12:02:00 pm »

I just finished watch PSYCHO-PASS and I was very impressed.

Spoiler: Actual spoilers (click to show/hide)

Is the second season worth bothering with? I heard it was written by different people. Also, are there any other animes (or any other kind of show, really) that have the following features?

- Not too long
- An exploration of an intriguing idea or deep theme
- Multi-faceted characters that could be real human beings
- A series-arc where things tie together (i.e. strong structure, minimal filler)

I felt Death Note came close, but the bottom fell out of it half-way through. Baccanno! has completely ridiculous characters, but they're uniquely characterised and they have interesting motivations, and the mysteries of the setting carry it forward. I've been enjoying Mushishi, but in general I prefer something with a metaplot. I was liking the original Full Metal Alchemist, so I should probably return to that at some point.

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #23695 on: August 03, 2015, 12:04:21 pm »

I just finished watch PSYCHO-PASS and I was very impressed.

Spoiler: Actual spoilers (click to show/hide)

Is the second season worth bothering with? I heard it was written by different people. Also, are there any other animes (or any other kind of show, really) that have the following features?

- Not too long
- An exploration of an intriguing idea or deep theme
- Multi-faceted characters that could be real human beings
- A series-arc where things tie together (i.e. strong structure, minimal filler)

I felt Death Note came close, but the bottom fell out of it half-way through. Baccanno! has completely ridiculous characters, but they're uniquely characterised and they have interesting motivations, and the mysteries of the setting carry it forward. I've been enjoying Mushishi, but in general I prefer something with a metaplot. I was liking the original Full Metal Alchemist, so I should probably return to that at some point.

I've heard that Cowboy Bebop fits those themes fairly well.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #23696 on: August 03, 2015, 12:09:05 pm »

Ah, I do like Cowboy Bebop as well. It's got a really great setting and the music sort of ties into the emotional core of each episode.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #23697 on: August 03, 2015, 12:55:39 pm »

Also maybe Kill la Kill?

No, I'm fairly certain they're Chinese (/s!). Also, I tried Kill la Kill but it didn't really appeal to me. Of course, this was within the first few episodes, should I have stuck with it?
Yes. Go back and keep watching it until you love watching scantily clad girls swinging swords around.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #23698 on: August 03, 2015, 12:59:02 pm »

Also maybe Kill la Kill?

Yes. Go back and keep watching it until you love watching scantily clad girls swinging swords around.

Oh, I already do. But if I wanted to watch scantily clad women with big eyes fight I'd just go to a medieval parade on the beach.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23699 on: August 03, 2015, 01:50:16 pm »

Also maybe Kill la Kill?

Oh, I already do. But if I wanted to watch scantily clad women with big eyes fight I'd just go to a medieval parade on the beach.

That has nothing to do with big eyes!
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.
Pages: 1 ... 1578 1579 [1580] 1581 1582 ... 2193