Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1573 1574 [1575] 1576 1577 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3061729 times)

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #23610 on: July 29, 2015, 08:54:59 pm »

Just realized. Crunchyroll JoJo censors Jotaro smoking a cigarette. He just happens to have a perfect shadow over just the half of his face that has a cigarette, despite standing on the middle of a boat in the middle of the ocean in broad daylight.

Censorship seems to be getting really out of hand.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #23611 on: July 29, 2015, 09:01:29 pm »

...Getting out of hand? It's very much better than it ever has been.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23612 on: July 29, 2015, 09:05:18 pm »

Just realized. Crunchyroll JoJo censors Jotaro smoking a cigarette. He just happens to have a perfect shadow over just the half of his face that has a cigarette, despite standing on the middle of a boat in the middle of the ocean in broad daylight.

Censorship seems to be getting really out of hand.

In a later fight, Jotaro is smoking a cigarette and there's a huge nonsensical white blotch over his face that conceals his smoking. It's like he was suddenly bukakke'd off screen and nobody is paying it any mind.

I think it has to do with the fact that he's still technically a minor despite being a mountain of a man comparable to his grandfather.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #23613 on: July 29, 2015, 09:08:37 pm »

...Getting out of hand? It's very much better than it ever has been.
I'll rephrase that. I find the censorship to be ruining my viewing experience and wish that such censorship wasn't necessary. It probably was worse in the past but that doesn't mean I should like it now.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
It's FEF, not FEOF

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23615 on: July 30, 2015, 02:27:35 am »

It really shouldn't...

But I always find it hilarious when characters attempt to speak English in Anime.

They are always hilariously bad at it to the extent that good English actually stands out.

Though currently I don't think anything will beat that Canadian swearing in that figure skating anime (and I am sorry but I can't remember the name... it wasn't even good)

---

Ok My Love Story became good again

Mostly because the last two episodes I gone were fillers without anything hanging on them (because they would advance the plot... OHH NO!). But luckily they kicked their rears in gear and gave me something.

So the last episode of it I watched finally was good and rather touching. It actually put Takeo in a compromised situation, for once.

---

Also after reading an article about "What Caucasians look like" in anime (it was mostly trying to disprove that anime characters look American. americans in Anime have a distinct look).

I can't help but notice now...

For example American characters tend to have large noses.

---

Also WOW... Takeo... isn't that tall he is just 6'7'' (exactly three inches taller then me)

But then again the Average height in Japan is 5'6''... Which my Younger Sister is taller than.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 03:26:33 am by Neonivek »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23616 on: July 30, 2015, 03:39:46 am »

Fun note "figure skating anime and manga" actually has a whole wikipedia page to itself. Admittedly there are only two entries on the page, but it's a thing.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23617 on: July 30, 2015, 03:41:29 am »

Ginban Kaleidoscope, there we go!

Most hilarious use of English of all anime I've seen... and has no contenders.

Honestly the only stuff that gets close are stuff from Excel saga... but in their case they intentionally mess up the English.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23618 on: July 30, 2015, 03:51:28 am »

Hmm I might have to check that out. Kiniro Mosaic would give it a run for it's money though. Nothing tops the Engrish in that show from everything I've seen.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #23619 on: July 30, 2015, 07:24:46 am »

Also WOW... Takeo... isn't that tall he is just 6'7'' (exactly three inches taller then me)

But then again the Average height in Japan is 5'6''... Which my Younger Sister is taller than.
... neo, check the numbers. 6'7" is over half a foot taller than the highest recorded national male average in the ruddy world (which is 6'). That counts as pretty tall.

Also you. You're in canada, right? Your national average tops out at 5'9.5". You're tall, too. Not freakishly tall like those mutants that break seven foot, but it's pretty darn significant.

... and the relevant national male average in japan is 5'7", not 5'6". The ladies are 5'2". Point being dude is pretty damn tall, pretty much anywhere.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23620 on: July 30, 2015, 07:47:43 am »

Canadians are tall!? I always thought we were average!
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23621 on: July 30, 2015, 08:39:39 am »

Canadians are a full 2.5 inches taller than the Japanese, on average. So they tower over the asian midgets.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23622 on: July 30, 2015, 10:48:13 am »

... neo, check the numbers. 6'7" is over half a foot taller than the highest recorded national male average in the ruddy world (which is 6'). That counts as pretty tall.

Also you. You're in canada, right? Your national average tops out at 5'9.5". You're tall, too. Not freakishly tall like those mutants that break seven foot, but it's pretty darn significant.

... and the relevant national male average in japan is 5'7", not 5'6". The ladies are 5'2". Point being dude is pretty damn tall, pretty much anywhere.

whooooops
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 11:00:43 am by Sirus »
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #23623 on: July 30, 2015, 10:49:45 am »

please no linking to the illegal material ;_;

Copy image/edit is the way to go, yeah.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23624 on: July 30, 2015, 11:17:58 am »

Why is it that most reincarnation light novels are blatant wish-fulfillment?

They all start with some quite nice world building and a good concept, but it often devolves into "I can do this, I can and will do that!" and a few 8 year olds becoming too close with the protagonist.

Mushoku Tensei is by far one of the better ones, among the ones I've read. Protagonist might be overpowered due to a head start in knowledge and an iron will, but his hubris tends to result badly for himself and his allies. Said thing devolves a bit though once it reaches the unnecessary s*x parts. [Any reason why the guy has to have three wives?]

Tensei Shitara Slime Datta Ken is like Re:Monster in which the guy gets some powers that allow him to absorb powers from his foes. It personally sits somewhere on meh-tier, and I didn't finish reading near the end of the first arc, since the guy is just power-gain after power-gain, aimlessly.

Re:Monster starts out interesting, peters out in hypocritical actions from our "hero", in which he [lewd]. Otherwise good enough, but is still power-gain after power-gain in a rapid growth-state.

Gunota ga Mahou Sekai ni Tensei Shitara, Gendai Heiki de Guntai Harem o Tsukucchaimashita!? or AKA the overly long title that most people just call Gun-Ota, is a rather interesting thing. Our guy is reincarnated in one of the more bloodiest intros in the reincarnation recreation thingy thing. Then he wakes up, discovers he doesn't have much magical ability, but from his previous life was a metalworker addicted to guns, and upon discovery of a special liquid metal, decides to recreate gun technology.

You'd hope said thing is interesting but unfortunately it loses its steam rather quickly. Guy gets married early game and is introduced to another heroine. Also, was there a point saying that the first heroine had C-cups at age 8? >.> On the second part, he suddenly knows enough technique to cook some snacks and is apparently an apt storyteller. There's a wide gap between one weapon and the next during that time, and I ended up losing interest because the guy was suddenly far more skilled than he should have been.

All in all, there's a quite sizeable library of these things now, but I don't think any one of them has pulled a "grand one" yet. RE:Monster is fine as it is but it's just power levels after power levels, and people fawning over a smart goblin. Mushoku Tensei already concluded, and might be worth a read, but there are some glaring flaws to it if you ask me.

None have yet pulled a reverse-reincarnation situation yet, in which fantasy guy dies and is resurrected on the modern, real world. Hm.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.
Pages: 1 ... 1573 1574 [1575] 1576 1577 ... 2193