Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1564 1565 [1566] 1567 1568 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3061572 times)

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #23475 on: July 19, 2015, 03:29:41 am »

If I have to praise Fairytale about one thing in particular... It never overplays the "Villain is an unstoppable thing and just beats on the heroes until they win"

EVERY SINGLE DBZ villain does this... All of them!
Vegeta was actually a good fight. He wasn't ever seen as unstoppable considering his first opponent was Goku. More than that, it was a drawn out fight where the Z Fighters only won due to teamwork. It took a x4 Kamehameha from Goku, Yajirobe cutting off Vegeta's tail, a Spirit Bomb bounced by Krillin and Gohan, and finally, Gohan landing on Vegeta as a Great Ape. It was a curbstomp battle for neither side.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 03:31:38 am by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23476 on: July 19, 2015, 03:34:23 am »

I am not saying they never had good fights that resulted because of this.

I just mean they did this so many times it wore extremely thin. Most shows of this type do this like crazy.

Fairytale for some unfathomable reason has no problem with our heroes being awesome. It is just refreshing.

What was that? Major villain? Well BOOM! Time for an action packed fight!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23477 on: July 19, 2015, 03:43:19 am »

I recently watched Sword of the Stranger and Children Who Chase Lost Voices From Deep Below. Both really excellent.

I've also gotten into Ashita no Joe, and I love it alot.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #23478 on: July 19, 2015, 03:46:46 am »

If I have to praise Fairytale about one thing in particular... It never overplays the "Villain is an unstoppable thing and just beats on the heroes until they win"
Fairy tail can be quite fun at times. My only big thing that I don't like about it is how pretty much every single person (except for the "X Slayer Magic" people, though even those tend to play things fairly lose and fast) has their own little magic system that follows its own rules and to hell with everyone else's. I mean what's the point of explaining how the villain's magic works when said knowledge becomes useless three episodes later when said villain is gone for good? And while great for roleplaying games, having an "anything goes" approach to magic in stories always seems like it sorta undermines the whole reason for explaining your magic systems in the first place; so that you can have characters do things with their magic to solve problems without it seeming like you are doing a total ass-pull to Dues Ex Machina whatever problem was there away.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23479 on: July 19, 2015, 03:50:48 am »

Basically replace magic with super power amroy.

It is basically the same logic as the Demon Fruit Users in One Piece.

My personal issue with the magic system is that it is directly contradicted twice... and one time there is this HUGE lampshade hanging for a magic type that is flat out never explained.

In fact some magics REALLY could use a bit more explanation (Angel summoning and GodSlayer... seriously where are the gods?)

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23480 on: July 19, 2015, 04:05:29 am »

« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 04:32:56 am by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23481 on: July 19, 2015, 04:28:34 am »

In other news, Bikini Warriors doesn't fail to disappoint. It's just as good as you would expect. I don't know how they've managed to pack so much bounce into only 5 minutes.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23482 on: July 19, 2015, 05:08:32 am »

GUYS. YOU GUYS. SUPERMAN VS GOKU 2.

I honestly wasn't expecting that ending

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23483 on: July 19, 2015, 06:33:49 am »

« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 06:35:51 am by Andres »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23484 on: July 19, 2015, 06:38:49 am »

star-destroying characters have been around ever since Super Perfect Cell!

I should state that no one has survived this attack through legitimate means.

Besides we are getting into what I call the "Gold Saint Speed" issue...

Where the Gold Saints are specifically stated to move "At the speed of light" then proceed to "not move at the speed of light".

In this case it is Sonic's "Speed of light" where... The speed of light must be really slow in the sonic verse.

It is kind of the larger differences between DBZ and Superman.

DBZ tends to exaggerate things to high hell. While Superman tends to downplay them to high hell.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 06:45:02 am by Neonivek »

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #23485 on: July 19, 2015, 07:49:23 am »

I forgot how good FMA:B is, and in my journey of watching it which now spans a year because I can't ever be arsed I realized
Also, this series contains immense amounts of ayy lmao.
If you think about it, so was I.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #23486 on: July 19, 2015, 09:51:40 am »

Another easter egg is that during the fight they crashed through the SGC convention center building, which is a real convention hosted by Screw Attack and the convention where I'm pretty sure the audience got the first look at this episode of Death Battle.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23487 on: July 20, 2015, 04:27:12 am »

I watched The Wind Rises today. I'm touched by the usual Ghibli charm, and then charmed some more at the sappy but heartbreakingly sincere love story weaved in, and then charmed even more upon remember that this is actually based on a For Reals guy that actually lived and existed in the For Reals dimension. Damn I'm charmed.

Then I watched some more Shadow Skill, which I'm becoming a stronger proponent for with each episode. It's kinda like Trigun, but if Vash was a woman instead.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23488 on: July 20, 2015, 05:39:43 am »

You know... I am starting to wonder if Chichi from Dragonball is meant to be a sort of meta joke.

In that the anime and manga treats her like she is a total nag and a pain.

Yet... everything she complains about are all legitimate complaints and Goku kind of lacks the drive to really fulfill them otherwise.

But I am starting to think that even though the anime and manga takes his side... that we as the audience are supposed to see through that. Like the manga/anime are from Goku's perspective.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23489 on: July 20, 2015, 06:46:54 am »

But I am starting to think that even though the anime and manga takes his side... that we as the audience are supposed to see through that. Like the manga/anime are from Goku's perspective.
Look at it this way, Goku left his family to continue fighting while Vegeta left fighting to be with his family.

In my opinion, Vegeta could be a way more interesting character if they actually tried, maybe even being protagonist material. They could play on his aspects of being the prince of all Saiyans, his pride, and his family. There could be some conflict between family time and training to become the strongest he can be. Issues can be raised as he tries to share his heritage with his children, but that can be difficult when his heritage is mostly based on fighting, eating, more fighting, and genocide. After that, add in a Gohan-Goku-like child-parent relationships. Introduce his decades-long rivalry with Goku and an uber-powerful villain to give everything more weight. Finally, make him a Super Badass Super Saiyan God x100 to balance out all the prissy feelings and family crap from most of the rest of this paragraph.
Pages: 1 ... 1564 1565 [1566] 1567 1568 ... 2193