Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1556 1557 [1558] 1559 1560 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3061484 times)

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #23355 on: July 12, 2015, 12:11:42 am »

I must say, near the end of the stardust crusaders arc, I could really see the effects of anime time dilation, it was kind of insane how long each second took for how much they said.
Talking is a free action, mate.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23356 on: July 12, 2015, 12:14:34 am »

I remember once seeing one of the Star Trek movies they were in this wormhole and they said "40 seconds to impact" and it took maybe 5-10 minutes to happen while they discussed ways to avoid the explosion. It's not just anime, it's all action films. Saying the actual screen time doesn't give the same sense of urgency.

EDIT: Yup, there's a trope about this, the "Magic Countdown".

Apparently Star Trek does this a lot, since there are two examples other than the one I remembered.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 12:21:03 am by Reelya »

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #23357 on: July 12, 2015, 12:23:53 am »

Just heard the new OP for Jojo: Stardust Crusaders. That opening riff. DJENT DJENT DJENT DJENT DJENT. Love it. Goes from djent djent chugging to melodic speedy japanese metal. Pretty cool. Djent is this fairly new microgenre of metal, although the core style of djent, extremely downtuned guitar chugging, has been used in a variety of genres before it, and the band associated with "starting" the genre has been around since the late 1980s as an extreme metal band.

On the other hand, I liked how Jojo made use of rock-blues sounding tunes before this.

...Sorry, the music geek in me geeked out a bit at hearing an anime op in a music style I was least expecting.
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #23358 on: July 12, 2015, 01:25:03 am »

Classroom Crisis is looking pretty fun so far. Even if engineer kids building spaceships on Mars aren't your thing, it's also shaping up to be pretty much Engineering Vs Upper Management The Anime and the second episode had some interesting corporate intrigue stuff that will definitely feature a lot in the show considering that after episode one aired the director tweeted "Thanks for watching the first episode. Welcome the world of betrayal and intrigue, to people who believed this would be your standard school romcom, sorry."
It's FEF, not FEOF

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #23359 on: July 12, 2015, 01:27:48 am »

The Jojo Stardust Crusaders credits song is amazing. I did not expect a cover. Love it. The series just keeps getting better and better.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #23360 on: July 12, 2015, 01:35:23 am »

« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 01:38:11 am by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #23361 on: July 12, 2015, 01:48:00 am »

It's not even a cover, it's the actual song, same as how the ending for part 1 and 2 was a song from an actual old prog rock band the author is a fan of! :D
I knew that sounded familiar as hell. I assumed it was a cover, I didn't think an anime would be allowed to use the actual song, what with copyright laws and such as they are now.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23362 on: July 12, 2015, 01:51:36 am »

Why wouldn't they? If you're paying, they're playing. That's what song licensing is all about, it happens all the time with ads and video games already. The copyright laws do not exist to prevent above-board song licensing. And the licensing costs for a 30 year old song would be peanuts. They want your money more than you need their song, so the bargaining power is in the licensees hands.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 01:53:26 am by Reelya »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23363 on: July 12, 2015, 01:53:17 am »

JoJo is produced by Warner Bros, so they don't even need to buy the songs.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #23364 on: July 12, 2015, 01:55:02 am »

Why wouldn't they? If you're paying, they're playing. That's what song licensing is all about, it happens all the time with ads and video games already. The copyright laws do not exist to prevent above-board song licensing. And the licensing costs for a 30 year old song would be peanuts. They want your money more than you need their song, so the bargaining power is in the licensees hands.

JoJo is produced by Warner Bros, so they don't even need to buy the songs.

Alright. I don't know what I expected.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #23365 on: July 12, 2015, 04:11:08 am »

i like anime but I do this weird thing where if all my friend are watching something I don't want to watch it so I don't watch things like FMA or Soul Eater but I can sit back and enjoy those shows that they see as to "American" like Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon all day.

I do this, but it's mostly because the anime that all my friends watch is awful, unbearable garbage. :P
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23366 on: July 12, 2015, 04:40:33 am »

Don't watch Soul Eater. The second half of the anime sucks, probably because it stops following the manga at that point.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23367 on: July 12, 2015, 04:44:20 am »

i like anime but I do this weird thing where if all my friend are watching something I don't want to watch it so I don't watch things like FMA or Soul Eater but I can sit back and enjoy those shows that they see as to "American" like Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon all day.

I do this, but it's mostly because the anime that all my friends watch is awful, unbearable garbage. :P

I'm sure we can come up with something worse. Get them to watch Akikan.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23368 on: July 12, 2015, 04:45:13 am »

Started the Stardust Crusaders arc of JoJo. The Stands are an interesting addition to the lore. I guess hamon was getting a bit overused.
Joseph Joestar is great, but hamon is kindof a generic do-everything power.  Stands are more narrow and interesting, and I think they get a lot better throughout SC (and become amazing in Part 4).

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #23369 on: July 12, 2015, 05:28:20 am »

why do people say there's lots of character death in attack on titan

nobody who matters ever dies, except people who are only important BECAUSE they died

Spoiler: manga spoilers (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 1556 1557 [1558] 1559 1560 ... 2193