Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1552 1553 [1554] 1555 1556 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3061964 times)

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #23295 on: July 07, 2015, 11:51:59 pm »

I mean either the anime does a poor job in justifying why our main character is a loser or Japan has some vastly different criteria of weirdness.
You haven't watched many Japanese commercials, have you? Also, tentacles.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #23296 on: July 07, 2015, 11:52:14 pm »

... you want to know how many people in my high school played tennis to stay in shape? Insofar as I'm aware, zero. The local inner-city park-like thing had a tennis court, once. When I was young. The netting rotted out and was never replaced. The next city over had racketball courts, at one point. Had. The list kinda' goes on. If it's an odd pastime for the area, it's an odd pastime for the area, and that can most defiiiinitely lead to ostracization.

S'kinda' like, hell. You think you could get away with playing golf in high school in most places in the US and have it be seen as "incredibly normal"? No. No, you could not. In might not lead to outright social rejection, but it's not normal. Tennis is roughly in the same place. It's not the most normal of sport choices in a lot of places.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #23297 on: July 07, 2015, 11:56:30 pm »

school in Japan

Ahahahahahahahahahahahaha, it's cute that you think only Japanese schools are like that. It's not national.

It isn't that "Ostracizing someone for being different" is unique. But rather the specific things they pick on him for are very Japanese.

For example he said he wanted to play tennis to stay in shape. Something that would be incredibly normal in just about any society on earth. Yet it is considered weird as far as the anime is concerned.

I mean either the anime does a poor job in justifying why our main character is a loser or Japan has some vastly different criteria of weirdness. One or the other.

It really does feel like an informed flaw.

Isn't Japan this extremely conservative place with high expectations and norms and values for people to meet and follow? So they probably have a wide variety of "weird" because they have such strict societal rules. Anything not meeting the rules exactly may be "weird."

With the tennis thing I'd think what they find weird is not the he's choosing to play tennis to stay in shape, but that he's choosing to play tennis to stay in shape.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23298 on: July 08, 2015, 01:50:44 pm »

Yeah the "weird" wasn't that he chose Tennis it was that he chose to play sports to "stay in shape" (something that where I live might be weird coming from a child's mouth but not a teen's)

I guess if the anime made him less attractive it might be a bit more believable.

But lucky for me I FINALLY got over it.. and I can try to get through that episode again later. At least when they call him weird while he is playing Tennis it is that he is secretly amazing and they just can't realize it yet.

---

I actually noticed that a lot of animes would probably die rather then make their main characters unattractive.

It isn't a bad thing mind you, to the audience an unattractive character is an unattractive character and one not worth our time.

Yet there is something that rings false about a character feeling doomed to the background and is rather invisible when she is drop down gorgeous and could win a bikini contest hands down.

I hate to say it... but it is like that Family Guy episode where they replaced Meg with a much more attractive actress but kept her personality and "issues" the same. So she would complain about how plain she is in spite being sexy to a degree that all the guys gawk at her. Except in the Anime's case they are serious.

I like to imagine that these animes take place in a world where everyone is so attractive that being beautiful is just nothing special. (And honestly in exactly one case I was right... It was one where every single character even a minor character with only one line who was 80 was a super model)

Don't get me wrong I know in real life there are stunningly beautiful people who feel ugly or invisible. Yet these characters are not supposed to be that kind of messed up.

I just looking at Japanese "Hollywood Homely" so to speak, but I just find it so interesting how far it stretches down to their personality. I remember Valkyria Chronicles and in the games Welkin really was weird and could barely communicate with people. So when they made an anime of it they just made Welkin come up with random "weird" ideas to tone this down to make him more attractive to the audience.

Is there a term for "Hollywood Homely" for personality? Like a character described as anti-social and maybe she will be blunt but is otherwise social?

So we have a character who sits at her computer all day and doesn't socialize with ANYONE! Thank goodness this doesn't affect her looks or personality. I mean of COURSE she is attractive and has all the required social graces. Didn't you know? The internet teaches you to speak eloquently.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 02:01:29 pm by Neonivek »

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #23299 on: July 08, 2015, 02:51:55 pm »

With the style of anime, seems like the only way to make a character clearly ugly is to make them practically a deformed troll.

A more subtle approach would just result in a slight variation on the generic anime face.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Jarvis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23300 on: July 08, 2015, 03:26:10 pm »

I just watched Madoka Magica: Rebellion. The animation was superb throughout and I thought it was cool seeing the quintet all together but
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23301 on: July 08, 2015, 03:49:33 pm »

« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 04:00:54 pm by Reelya »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #23302 on: July 08, 2015, 04:10:26 pm »

Another theory is that people just like throwing "big words" like "deconstruction" around to sound erudite, and they don't like applying this to shows they disliked.
That seems a little contrived and Kafkaesque, don't you think?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23303 on: July 08, 2015, 04:12:41 pm »

Not really. There are plenty of posers around that like to look intellectual. And plenty of people who get butthurt and irrational about shows they like or don't like. There's definitely some crossover between those two trends. So you definitely get people misusing intellectual terminology to either praise or slam a show.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 04:14:23 pm by Reelya »

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #23304 on: July 08, 2015, 04:25:15 pm »

Another theory is that people just like throwing "big words" like "deconstruction" around to sound erudite, and they don't like applying this to shows they disliked.
That seems a little contrived and Kafkaesque, don't you think?
Don't worry, I got the joke.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #23305 on: July 08, 2015, 04:41:45 pm »

I have some very strong feelings on Rebellion, which I will outline below. The short version is, everything was extremely in character, but the movie's pacing and overall construction make that very much non-obvious. Whether that's good or bad is a matter of taste. If you like analysis, you're in the right place. If you think that being needlessly obtuse is a bad idea, you're not. The series was kind of misleading because it had something to offer people of both persuasions.

These are most of my thoughts on the matter, originally posted in response to somebody who felt the ending was out of character and largely due to Urobuchi wanting to go extra edgy (though it does nothing to refute the second part). Added to this -

In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23306 on: July 08, 2015, 05:12:55 pm »

All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #23307 on: July 08, 2015, 08:32:30 pm »

Me and sprin just watched the first episode of Elfen Lied. Having seen a "stream of consciousness review" of madoka work pretty well, I decided to try it out with him and save our chat log while we watched.

Spoiler: Chat Log (click to show/hide)

Tell me if you're interested in making a thread for this (This is a anime tradition at this point) or if it's just clutter. I don't mind if it is.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Sprin

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Sprin Dragon, Master of Madness!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23308 on: July 08, 2015, 08:43:24 pm »

I like to think we're funny
Quote from: Karnewarrior
HOW DID YOU KNOW I WAS LOOKING UP RULE 34 OF D*CKS?
Sprin is certifiably insane, but there is no denying his brilliance.

Cthulufaic

• Bay Watcher
  • whats a touhou
    • View Profile
« Reply #23309 on: July 08, 2015, 08:59:17 pm »

I like to think we're funny
Don't worry, I laughed a few times just imagining the looks on your faces as well as what could have been on the screen.
Pages: 1 ... 1552 1553 [1554] 1555 1556 ... 2193