Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1543 1544 [1545] 1546 1547 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3064925 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #23160 on: June 28, 2015, 10:16:34 pm »

This is probably a weird thing to be bugged by and probably marks me as a hopeless casual when it comes to anime, but the lack of blood in those scenes is kinda throwing me for a loop. You've got people getting stabbed in the torso, faces slashed, one particularly nasty wound where some guy gets ripped up the middle, but in most cases there isn't even much of a mark to denote the injury. Some bruising and a little blood from a relatively minor shoulder wound, and that's it.

Don't get me wrong, the animation itself is amazing and I really wish there was more awesome spear-fighting in the media. Though that "prince" looks more like a princess (assuming I'm looking at the right character in the first couple of scenes).

Yeah the lack of gore kinda bugged me a bit in Moribito. Though I eventually got used to it and it is a great anime regardless. N' I don't think being bugged by that "marks you as a casual" when it comes to anime considering that quite a few of them are hyper-violent.

Also, the prince isn't exactly supposed to be a manly man so that might have been intentional. He looks more masculine once he gets his hair cut.
...So the woman in the last few fight scenes wasn't the prince? Huh. I figured that since they had somewhat-similar looks, they were the same person but perhaps after a time-skip of some years :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23161 on: June 28, 2015, 10:23:34 pm »

Yeah the prince doesn't really ever fight. I only took a glancing look but the only scene I saw that had him was the battle in the rice paddies.

https://youtu.be/al1CpCfSEHo?t=3m55s that's him there, if you're curious.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #23162 on: June 28, 2015, 10:59:00 pm »

Have you tried watching subs? It can be quite the experience. Especially if you can't speak Japanese. Like, watching subbed DBZ and finding out for the first time that Goku's voice actor is a female. Sorry, spoilers.
basically a sassy "yes" via quotes
Oh. Missed that. My bad, yo.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23163 on: June 28, 2015, 11:32:17 pm »

Have you tried watching subs? It can be quite the experience. Especially if you can't speak Japanese. Like, watching subbed DBZ and finding out for the first time that Goku's voice actor is a female. Sorry, spoilers.
Then we get dubs like Ghost Stories.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23164 on: June 29, 2015, 12:04:04 am »

Not sassy. I would've answered and then explained my answers anyway, but since I already did that, I just decided to take the quotes from because it requires less time and creativity.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23165 on: June 29, 2015, 12:38:03 am »

This is probably a weird thing to be bugged by and probably marks me as a hopeless casual when it comes to anime, but the lack of blood in those scenes is kinda throwing me for a loop. You've got people getting stabbed in the torso, faces slashed, one particularly nasty wound where some guy gets ripped up the middle, but in most cases there isn't even much of a mark to denote the injury. Some bruising and a little blood from a relatively minor shoulder wound, and that's it.

Don't get me wrong, the animation itself is amazing and I really wish there was more awesome spear-fighting in the media. Though that "prince" looks more like a princess (assuming I'm looking at the right character in the first couple of scenes).

Yeah the lack of gore kinda bugged me a bit in Moribito. Though I eventually got used to it and it is a great anime regardless. N' I don't think being bugged by that "marks you as a casual" when it comes to anime considering that quite a few of them are hyper-violent.

Also, the prince isn't exactly supposed to be a manly man so that might have been intentional. He looks more masculine once he gets his hair cut.
...So the woman in the last few fight scenes wasn't the prince? Huh. I figured that since they had somewhat-similar looks, they were the same person but perhaps after a time-skip of some years :P
Yeah, trying to avoid spoilers here, but in the first couple it's Balsa when she was younger, prior to the start of the plot. As Sindain said, the prince is the one running away to hide in the rice paddy fight; that's Balsa all grown up.

Don't necessarily disagree about the lack of blood, but everything else was good enough to ignore that, IMO.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23166 on: June 29, 2015, 03:56:25 am »

This deserves to be linked again. It's a must-see for anyone.

Just beware, this shows was dubbed twice by different companies. The first one basically threw the script out and went all Samurai Pizza Cats on us, the other one is completely serious. Since the show itself looks kinda boring, I'd go with the joke dub here.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #23167 on: June 29, 2015, 04:01:31 am »

Just beware, this shows was dubbed twice by different companies. The first one basically threw the script out and went all Samurai Pizza Cats on us, the other one is completely serious. Since the show itself looks kinda boring, I'd go with the joke dub here.
Wuh. It's like they made their own abridged series. Their own official abridged series. This is amazing.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23168 on: June 29, 2015, 08:52:43 am »

Wuh. It's like they made their own abridged series. Their own official abridged series. This is amazing.

Unfortunately, it's only about 2~3 scenes per episode that are like that; those videos are every scene of that type in the show, from what I can tell. The rest is just normal dialogue.

In terms of Moribito, one of the reasons there isn't much blood is because Balsa is intentionally trying not to kill people. The rest of it... I assume they opted not to go for it due to the show not being about visceral violence, but rather an attempt at finding a peaceful resolution to a very bad situation.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 08:58:19 am by Hawkfrost »

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23169 on: June 29, 2015, 12:06:25 pm »

Unfortunately, it's only about 2~3 scenes per episode that are like that; those videos are every scene of that type in the show, from what I can tell. The rest is just normal dialogue.

Nah you can watch an episode and clearly hear the bs coming out. Drinking game for references of Jesus anyone?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 01:04:08 pm by Tellemurius »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23170 on: June 29, 2015, 12:40:30 pm »

I checked a bit more out. there are a ton of little perversions of the dialogue that are definitely not in the sample vids. Examples from the first few minutes of episode 1:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23171 on: June 29, 2015, 01:40:47 pm »

Fair enough, but it's certainly not as much of it as you would probably hope.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23172 on: June 29, 2015, 07:54:48 pm »

I just finished watching "From Up on Poppy Hill" and I enjoyed it immensely. To summarize the movie, it's "Fucking Culture man, Culture EVERYWHERE."

and by that, I just mean that the world is so detailed and lively, so steeped in its own history and the traditions of its people, that I can't help but feel nostalgic for a home and time that I never lived in. Truly a great movie.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #23173 on: June 29, 2015, 09:08:00 pm »

Finally got around to watching Rebellion. Had some great parts, but overall I'm not sure how much I was missing.
Spoiler: Actual Spoilers (click to show/hide)
Honestly I think they might have been better off just making Pretty Gangbanger Madoka★Magica from the get-go.

Of course, I always wanted them to make Pretty Gangbanger Madoka★Magica anyway, so there's that.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23174 on: June 29, 2015, 10:42:23 pm »

Finally got around to watching Rebellion. Had some great parts, but overall I'm not sure how much I was missing.
Spoiler: Actual Spoilers (click to show/hide)
Honestly I think they might have been better off just making Pretty Gangbanger Madoka★Magica from the get-go.

Of course, I always wanted them to make Pretty Gangbanger Madoka★Magica anyway, so there's that.
Obligatory, for those who haven't seen/heard it.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 1543 1544 [1545] 1546 1547 ... 2193