Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1542 1543 [1544] 1545 1546 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3065188 times)

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #23145 on: June 28, 2015, 12:19:22 pm »

Yup, watched all of them too. Great suggestions nonetheless. What's Moribito about? Is it dubbed?

EDIT: I've actually watched those anime over the course of about a year. I don't have Netflix. I just watch it online.

Moribito is good, I have no idea about the dub.

It's essentially a fantasy drama about a bodyguard protecting a prince from assassins, due to him becoming possessed by a demon. A lot of stuff about spirituality, with one of the few strong female protagonists in anime.
The fight scenes are relatively brief, but really well animated and intense.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23146 on: June 28, 2015, 01:29:35 pm »

5. Anime can have music in it. Manga can't.
On a related note I've really been enjoying JoJo part 4, it's like the good parts of Stardust Crusaders only all the time and with more continuity.  Plus all the stands are named after songs so you know what to play while reading

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23147 on: June 28, 2015, 01:49:49 pm »

It's a shonen sports series about boxing which is known for the intense action sequences. Normally I can't stand shonen battle series, nor do I care for sports, let alone boxing. Hajime no Ippo stands out because the character development is excellent, for both the main characters and their the opponents who are all fleshed out people with believable motivations, not just 1 dimensional villains brought in for the current fight, as you get in most shonen series. It has a lot of comedy elements too, so it's not just GARR all the time, but the show knows when to be serious as well, so it's not overplayed. This is probably the best sports-related anime ever made.
^^This.

I rewatched One Outs recently, a show about Baseball, and I'd say that's on par if only because it doesn't drag on forever and there isn't a RETARDED half-assed romance subplot floating like a flaccid ghost in the background.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #23148 on: June 28, 2015, 03:29:37 pm »

5. Anime can have music in it. Manga can't.
On a related note I've really been enjoying JoJo part 4, it's like the good parts of Stardust Crusaders only all the time and with more continuity.  Plus all the stands are named after songs so you know what to play while reading
If I've watched all the anime, can I just pick up at the end of Stardust Crusaders in the manga?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23149 on: June 28, 2015, 03:36:32 pm »

Yeah the recent anime is very faithful to the manga.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #23150 on: June 28, 2015, 03:39:57 pm »

Yeah the recent anime is very faithful to the manga.
Right on. Thanks for the tip. I can't wait to start! c:<

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23151 on: June 28, 2015, 05:55:21 pm »

I don't think the English equivalents e.g. dono => lord, sama => lord/lady actually make sense. Sama is a term used when you respect someone in general, it's not equivalent to a noble title like lord or lady. "Sir" is closer, but heavily implies knighthood. "Sir Reelya". So, no english equivalents quite right for the job. It definitely makes sense if the characters are Japanese, though should be dropped for e.g. Baccano! or other anime set outside Japan. Anyway, anime has just as much of that as manga. So what's the dif?
First of all, I'm talking about dubbed anime because that's the only kind I watch. The only time I heard those honorifics are in the old version of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, and only one guy used them. Secondly, as I mentioned in my first point, honorifics aren't necessary to know what people think of others. Not once have I watched an anime and thought "I wonder what that person thinks of that other person" unless they were deliberately trying to invoke that for a plot twist or something.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #23152 on: June 28, 2015, 06:07:01 pm »

I don't think the English equivalents e.g. dono => lord, sama => lord/lady actually make sense. Sama is a term used when you respect someone in general, it's not equivalent to a noble title like lord or lady. "Sir" is closer, but heavily implies knighthood. "Sir Reelya". So, no english equivalents quite right for the job. It definitely makes sense if the characters are Japanese, though should be dropped for e.g. Baccano! or other anime set outside Japan. Anyway, anime has just as much of that as manga. So what's the dif?
First of all, I'm talking about dubbed anime because that's the only kind I watch. The only time I heard those honorifics are in the old version of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, and only one guy used them. Secondly, as I mentioned in my first point, honorifics aren't necessary to know what people think of others. Not once have I watched an anime and thought "I wonder what that person thinks of that other person" unless they were deliberately trying to invoke that for a plot twist or something.
Have you tried watching subs? It can be quite the experience. Especially if you can't speak Japanese. Like, watching subbed DBZ and finding out for the first time that Goku's voice actor is a female. Sorry, spoilers.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #23153 on: June 28, 2015, 06:16:11 pm »

It's a shonen sports series about boxing which is known for the intense action sequences. Normally I can't stand shonen battle series, nor do I care for sports, let alone boxing. Hajime no Ippo stands out because the character development is excellent, for both the main characters and their the opponents who are all fleshed out people with believable motivations, not just 1 dimensional villains brought in for the current fight, as you get in most shonen series. It has a lot of comedy elements too, so it's not just GARR all the time, but the show knows when to be serious as well, so it's not overplayed. This is probably the best sports-related anime ever made.
^^This.

I rewatched One Outs recently, a show about Baseball, and I'd say that's on par if only because it doesn't drag on forever and there isn't a RETARDED half-assed romance subplot floating like a flaccid ghost in the background.
There's also 'Hajime No Ippo: The Fighting!' which I've seen on Crunchyroll, it's far more fighting focused, I would heartily recomend you watch it if only for the visceral impacts.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23154 on: June 28, 2015, 07:03:07 pm »

^^This.

There's also 'Hajime No Ippo: The Fighting!' which I've seen on Crunchyroll, it's far more fighting focused, I would heartily recomend you watch it if only for the visceral impacts.

That's just legit just another section of the manga, as are all the movies.

But yeah, I really liked Hajime No Ippo, but I swear, when I dropped the manga, Ippo was on his way to being the first World Boxing Champion while still a virgin. It's awesome to see such a such a lowly guy like Ippo work his way up and make himself into the manly awesome boxer that he is, but it's just straight cringe-worthy when he fawns over this one chick who's ostensibly saving himself for him, and he has plenty of opportunities, but it's just played up for laughs because apparently remaining sexually infantile is just the pinnacle of comedy. It badly detracts from Ippo's character because every other character is developing, except for HIM, so as you progress through the story you see Ippo just getting better at boxing and every other part of his life and personality is neglected.

I know it's a Shonen, and it's alright for guys to be kind of a dweeb and awkward when it comes to the opposite sex, but this gag goes on for what is literally years and years of Ippo's life, and at a certain point you just resent the writer for being so lazy and refusing to either finalize it or kill it, but instead this romance joke remains in limbo for what I presume will be the day Ippo actually dies of old age.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #23155 on: June 28, 2015, 07:06:53 pm »

The Fighting is the name of season 1 of the anime.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23156 on: June 28, 2015, 07:44:25 pm »

Yup, watched all of them too. Great suggestions nonetheless. What's Moribito about? Is it dubbed?

EDIT: I've actually watched those anime over the course of about a year. I don't have Netflix. I just watch it online.

It's essentially a fantasy drama about a bodyguard protecting a prince from assassins, due to him becoming possessed by a demon. A lot of stuff about spirituality, with one of the few strong female protagonists in anime.

This. Moribito's required viewing if it's even remotely similar to your interests. The fights have excellent choreography; here's a good sample without any pesky spoiling subs.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23157 on: June 28, 2015, 09:30:19 pm »

Have you tried watching subs? It can be quite the experience. Especially if you can't speak Japanese. Like, watching subbed DBZ and finding out for the first time that Goku's voice actor is a female. Sorry, spoilers.
I watched AoT subbed and it was ok. When the dub came out, it was still ok. I enjoyed the dubbed version more, though. I hadn't watched subs before then and while I expected the dub to be more enjoyable, I was surprised that I enjoyed the sub less because of the accent rather than the language.
But then there was Son Goku and Friends Return. I wanted to watch it but unfortunately there was no dub of it. In the end, I decided to watch the sub. Attack on Titan's sub was decent so why not?
It was the worst thing I ever heard.
Everyone, EVERYONE sounded like a woman. Goku who had a freaking awesome English VA now sounded like an old woman. In English, children are usually played by female VAs but it's usually done well enough that you can't tell. In the Jap dub, however, it was like they weren't even trying to hide the fact that they had female VAs. Vegeta - freaking Vegeta - sounded like what only Kid Vegeta should sound like and he had the manliest voice in the entire god-damned OVA!
Seriously, f*ck the Japanese dub of DBZ.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23158 on: June 28, 2015, 09:59:59 pm »

This. Moribito's required viewing if it's even remotely similar to your interests. The fights have excellent choreography; here's a good sample without any pesky spoiling subs.
This is probably a weird thing to be bugged by and probably marks me as a hopeless casual when it comes to anime, but the lack of blood in those scenes is kinda throwing me for a loop. You've got people getting stabbed in the torso, faces slashed, one particularly nasty wound where some guy gets ripped up the middle, but in most cases there isn't even much of a mark to denote the injury. Some bruising and a little blood from a relatively minor shoulder wound, and that's it.

Don't get me wrong, the animation itself is amazing and I really wish there was more awesome spear-fighting in the media. Though that "prince" looks more like a princess (assuming I'm looking at the right character in the first couple of scenes).
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23159 on: June 28, 2015, 10:08:49 pm »

This is probably a weird thing to be bugged by and probably marks me as a hopeless casual when it comes to anime, but the lack of blood in those scenes is kinda throwing me for a loop. You've got people getting stabbed in the torso, faces slashed, one particularly nasty wound where some guy gets ripped up the middle, but in most cases there isn't even much of a mark to denote the injury. Some bruising and a little blood from a relatively minor shoulder wound, and that's it.

Don't get me wrong, the animation itself is amazing and I really wish there was more awesome spear-fighting in the media. Though that "prince" looks more like a princess (assuming I'm looking at the right character in the first couple of scenes).

Yeah the lack of gore kinda bugged me a bit in Moribito. Though I eventually got used to it and it is a great anime regardless. N' I don't think being bugged by that "marks you as a casual" when it comes to anime considering that quite a few of them are hyper-violent.

Also, the prince isn't exactly supposed to be a manly man so that might have been intentional. He looks more masculine once he gets his hair cut.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."
Pages: 1 ... 1542 1543 [1544] 1545 1546 ... 2193