Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1541 1542 [1543] 1544 1545 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3057764 times)

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #23130 on: June 28, 2015, 03:30:19 am »

Can someone recommend me an anime to watch. I finished Kill la Kill a little while ago and it's left a hole that can only be filled by more awesome anime. I've already watched TTGL, PMMM, and Bleach.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23131 on: June 28, 2015, 03:50:46 am »

Can someone recommend me an anime to watch. I finished Kill la Kill a little while ago and it's left a hole that can only be filled by more awesome anime. I've already watched TTGL, PMMM, and Bleach.

Well, all those are are on Netflix so I'm presuming that's your source of anime at the moment. Also on Netflix is Death Note, Attack on Titan, and Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood. I heard Moribito is good but I haven't watched any.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23132 on: June 28, 2015, 04:25:25 am »

Yup, watched all of them too. Great suggestions nonetheless. What's Moribito about? Is it dubbed?

EDIT: I've actually watched those anime over the course of about a year. I don't have Netflix. I just watch it online.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 04:32:00 am by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23133 on: June 28, 2015, 04:39:38 am »

You should set up a myanimelist account or something, then you can add stuff to the list as you go, so you never get the same suggestion twice. Otherwise we're just guessing about what you've seen.

Here's my current completed list (sorted by my ratings). I recently clocked over 10K episodes of completed shows. Which is kinda getting towards embarassing territory tbh, well past "this is cool" territory.

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/cipheron&status=2&show=0&order=4

I'll throw out Hajime no Ippo, Cowboy Beebop and Trigun as suggestions.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 04:44:20 am by Reelya »

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23134 on: June 28, 2015, 04:50:17 am »

I've watched the first episode of Cowboy Beebop and honestly it doesn't look like my thing. I guess I could give Trigun a go. What's Hajime no Ippo?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23135 on: June 28, 2015, 05:01:13 am »

It's a shonen sports series about boxing which is known for the intense action sequences. Normally I can't stand shonen battle series, nor do I care for sports, let alone boxing. Hajime no Ippo stands out because the character development is excellent, for both the main characters and their the opponents who are all fleshed out people with believable motivations, not just 1 dimensional villains brought in for the current fight, as you get in most shonen series. It has a lot of comedy elements too, so it's not just GARR all the time, but the show knows when to be serious as well, so it's not overplayed. This is probably the best sports-related anime ever made.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 05:08:07 am by Reelya »

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23136 on: June 28, 2015, 05:13:04 am »

It's a shonen sports series about boxing which is known for the intense action sequences. Normally I can't stand shonen battle series, nor do I care for sports, let alone boxing. Hajime no Ippo stands out because the character development is excellent, for both the main characters and their the opponents who are all fleshed out people with believable motivations, not just 1 dimensional villains brought in for the current fight, as you get in most shonen series. It has a lot of comedy elements too, so it's not just GARR all the time, but the show knows when to be serious as well, so it's not overplayed. This is probably the best sports-related anime ever made.
My preferences usually lie outside of "real life" stuff but that recommendation is enough to make me watch it.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #23137 on: June 28, 2015, 05:13:23 am »

^^This.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #23138 on: June 28, 2015, 06:03:42 am »

You might also consider HnI's manga!

... if you've got like a week to set aside and read it. Or a year or two or somethin'. Not sure if it's the longest manga series in existence, but it's definitely one of the top few. 110 volumes... and counting. More or less continuous serialization since 1989.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23139 on: June 28, 2015, 06:42:09 am »

Not the longest. The other day I was reading how JoJo is 113 volumes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_manga_series_by_volume_count

The longest is 195 volumes, but that one has been in serialization since 1976. #3 on the list has been written by the same guy since 1968!

Hajime no Ippo comes in at 10th longest.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 06:44:30 am by Reelya »

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23140 on: June 28, 2015, 07:36:15 am »

I personally don't like manga. The right-to-left structure, the issues with text size and scrolling, the Japanese honorifics (in English-translated manga), and the lack of colour just makes reading manga unenjoyable.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #23141 on: June 28, 2015, 07:52:08 am »

1) You get used to it.
2) Depends on the scan.
3) It's the same in subbed anime. Do you prefer Dubs? The honorifics add extra meaning, anyway. I prefer it when the honorifics are there.
4) Personal preference.

Honestly, I tend to enjoy reading manga more than watching anime since it goes at my pace, rather than the anime producer's. (Reading vs. Watching, that is.)
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #23142 on: June 28, 2015, 08:05:56 am »

1) You get used to it.
2) Depends on the scan.
3) It's the same in subbed anime. Do you prefer Dubs? The honorifics add extra meaning, anyway. I prefer it when the honorifics are there.
4) Personal preference.

Honestly, I tend to enjoy reading manga more than watching anime since it goes at my pace, rather than the anime producer's. (Reading vs. Watching, that is.)
I'm in the same boat as UXLZ here.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23143 on: June 28, 2015, 08:15:00 am »

I watched AoT subbed and it was ok. When the dub came out, it was still ok. I enjoyed the dubbed version more, though. I hadn't watched subs before then and while I expected the dub to be more enjoyable, I was surprised that I enjoyed the sub less because of the accent rather than the language.
As for the extra meaning in honorifics, they don't really do much. They're either unnecessary in understanding the relationships between people (you don't need to hear the "sama" to know that Kamina thinks he's awesome) or an English equivalent can be used (Lady Satsuki instead of Satsuki-sama).

I've never had a problem with this. Besides, pace is something said producers are good at and use to make the shows more entertaining. Manga, on the other hand, is like jumping from scene-to-scene which results in less flow than their anime equivalents. Also, pace-making on the producer's end allows music to be utilised effectively.

5. Anime can have music in it. Manga can't.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 08:22:15 am by Andres »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23144 on: June 28, 2015, 10:17:12 am »

I personally don't like manga. The right-to-left structure, the issues with text size and scrolling, the Japanese honorifics (in English-translated manga), and the lack of colour just makes reading manga unenjoyable.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab with 8' screen. I read all my manga on that. So no scrolling required. Actually I bought that one precisely because it's the perfect size for manga, and fits in a pocket, too.

I don't think the English equivalents e.g. dono => lord, sama => lord/lady actually make sense. Sama is a term used when you respect someone in general, it's not equivalent to a noble title like lord or lady. "Sir" is closer, but heavily implies knighthood. "Sir Reelya". So, no english equivalents quite right for the job. It definitely makes sense if the characters are Japanese, though should be dropped for e.g. Baccano! or other anime set outside Japan. Anyway, anime has just as much of that as manga. So what's the dif?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2015, 10:24:31 am by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 1541 1542 [1543] 1544 1545 ... 2193