Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3057677 times)

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #525 on: June 30, 2009, 01:34:40 pm »

Yes I know... I just want the bloody proof.

I only have Ciel, Arcueid, Sakura, and Shiki left.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: July 01, 2009, 07:45:06 am »

Status Report:
It has now been several days since I was introduced to the strange and mysterious world of the artform called... ANIME.
My productivity has decreased dramatically in this time, despite only modest exposure.
Conclusion: This stuff is addictive, dammit! >:(

(( ;) :D))
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: July 01, 2009, 08:04:12 am »

Status Report:
It has now been several days since I was introduced to the strange and mysterious world of the artform called... ANIME.
My productivity has decreased dramatically in this time, despite only modest exposure.
Conclusion: This stuff is addictive, dammit! >:(

(( ;) :D))

Its much better than watching Seinfeld re-runs all day, totally.  ;D

What have you been watching?

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: July 01, 2009, 08:21:07 am »

These Code Geass episodes you peaple linked me.

I never wach television, wich was one reason I asked for anime in the fist pklace; to do something other than look at text all day long.
It's kinda distressing to get my shedule unhinged, because I have my own semi-strict shedule whit things I'm suposed to do that I have actualy been able to make myself and that i like. It involves a lot if helping peaple over the net, reading scientific articles online and having my alarm set long before dawn, and other things that other peaple wont prompt you to do, so it's hard to get back on track if the track is lost. (that is my CURRENT SUPOSED shedule described, it's a bit messier in reality)

if there is more stuff that meets the criteria I stated erlier in the threadd I'd be thankfull for links, evrything so far has been great. If you dodnt want to serc the thread for criteria i could go back and do it I guess.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: July 01, 2009, 09:23:37 am »

Armok reminds me of the time when I was first exposed to anime - so many new worlds to explore and so very different from what I've been used to seeing.
Often, it was really hard to stop watching an interesting show, all of it's 25-ish episodes, despite having to go to work in the morning etc. It took me more than 100 different series/movies/ovas to start feeling jaded about the medium(after a while the repetitivness of certain ideas start showing), so look forward to lots and lots of broken schedules and sleepless nights.

Anyway, I've already recommended you some shows, as did probably everyone else here, but let me say it again: since you seem to be a hard-sf type of guy, try Planetes(trailer), or "Ghost in the shell" franchise (a short excerpt from the series). Then there's Texhnolyze (german trailer), and Ergo Proxy (trailer). Each and every one is in it's own way amazing exercise in SF storytelling, highly recommended. I'm sure that the last one is still available on youtube, not so sure about the rest of them.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: July 01, 2009, 10:33:07 am »

Armok reminds me of the time when I was first exposed to anime - so many new worlds to explore and so very different from what I've been used to seeing.
Indeed.

Often, it was really hard to stop watching an interesting show, all of it's 25-ish episodes, despite having to go to work in the morning etc. It took me more than 100 different series/movies/ovas to start feeling jaded about the medium(after a while the repetitivness of certain ideas start showing), so look forward to lots and lots of broken schedules and sleepless nights.
Hopefully it wont come to that. :D
I suspect that was your reaction to highly avible fiction, rather than specific to anime. I already have training in resisting those urges from webcomics, and I am familiar whit many concepts from TVtroopes, but most importantly I have a good knowledge of metafiction. There is less a risk of exploration becoming obsessive if you have a worldmap and a GPS.

Anyway, I've already recommended you some shows, as did probably everyone else here, but let me say it again: since you seem to be a hard-sf type of guy,
Truly hard scifi as such is mostly dead, really, tech is moving to fast and  chaoticaly to be predictible enought for ANYTHING to be plausible enought by the standards you could expect even a decade or two ago. WHat I do enjoy is complex consistntly explained mechanics, and for the plot to be influenced by things other than itself, such as said mechanics. These things in the flavors I like are mostly to be found in hard scifi, but also in certain works of high fantasy (the kinds that spend chapters explaining the magic system, like Eragon (althou there are other drawbacks of those books, but this is going of topic by now) oe diskworld (if you read it the right way) ) , and in many works tht canot be clerly genre clasified.
I'm also a gooner for lovable characters, especially created/arteficial ones (throught magic or technology)(for personal reasons I identify strongly whit the creator-creation relationship, and find it highly fascinating, one mind in detail designing another and then bringing it to life. And before you ask it has no reall paralels to parenthood, a born person is in practice random, and parents can only try to blindly nudge behavior indirectly. ), mainly AI, and especialy especialy if they are realistically fundamentally different from human. If you find something were a realistic nonanthropomorpic lovable AI protagonist in a hard scifi world, few things could make that anything but wonderfull.

try Planetes(trailer), or "Ghost in the shell" franchise (a short excerpt from the series). Then there's Texhnolyze (german trailer), and Ergo Proxy (trailer). Each and every one is in it's own way amazing exercise in SF storytelling, highly recommended. I'm sure that the last one is still available on youtube, not so sure about the rest of them.

YOu forgot the "legaly and freely avable on the net" part, or atleast informing me if they are. Untill I'm convinced I have wached evrything avable freely I wont be giving money to any big company, and probably not even then. As long as there is food on the table I wont go hunting.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: July 01, 2009, 10:38:35 am »

I reminder when I first started;
Back then I didn't like anime, I was all "Who the hell likes this trash like Naruto?"
And then I was browsing Youtube or something and I remembered one that I had heard about (From an H site, but anyways..) so I started watching it, and then it totally changed my view on anime.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: July 01, 2009, 05:02:53 pm »

YOu forgot the "legaly and freely avable on the net" part, or atleast informing me if they are. Untill I'm convinced I have wached evrything avable freely I wont be giving money to any big company, and probably not even then. As long as there is food on the table I wont go hunting.

i think its only free in dubbed. maybe subbed on rapidshare or some torrent site.

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #534 on: July 01, 2009, 05:14:08 pm »

Good luck trying to find free legal anime.

I personally have no luck.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: July 01, 2009, 06:29:03 pm »

I'll toss up this little gem of a site, animecrazy.com, lots and lots of subbed anime to view online. Two that I've been watching recently is asura crying (on site) and aquarion.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: July 01, 2009, 07:20:08 pm »

veoh.com

youtube (obviously)

zomganime.com

anilinkz.com (subs their own so no risk of bad embedders)

onepeiceofbleach.com (laggy)

megavideo.com (reliable but stupid, need an account to watch more then 2 shows in a row and it isnt fully buffered when it says it is....bad sight, only for desperate)

imeem.com (search engine is bad so just type the name of the anime into google and put IMEEM at the end)

there are more but these are the most reliable, frankly i dont see whats so hard about this, as simpley searching for them on google gives me more then enough sites to watch the things on.

Zand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: July 02, 2009, 02:49:26 am »

Uh, that stuff isn't really legal. If you're looking for legal stuff go to places like Funimation, or Crunchyroll. Some companies post stuff on youtube, like Kadokawa, iirc.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: July 02, 2009, 02:51:42 am »

Uh, that stuff isn't really legal. If you're looking for legal stuff go to places like Funimation, or Crunchyroll. Some companies post stuff on youtube, like Kadokawa, iirc.

This.

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #539 on: July 02, 2009, 02:58:33 am »

Well Umineko is out... If it follows its predecessor in terms of abridging, and censorship, then it's going to fucking suck.

Even if they don't abridge and censor they're going to rape the character designs. I mean the they even made Battler look like Lelouch, BLOODY LELOUCH...

I just had to vent that out.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 2193