Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1524 1525 [1526] 1527 1528 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3057935 times)

Redzephyr01

• Bay Watcher
  • Ferrum Cor
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #22875 on: May 29, 2015, 07:35:00 pm »

So I just watched the Hyperdimension Neptunia anime. I can't believe that someone at Funimation thought it would be a good idea to put internet memes in an anime. It's otherwise an alright anime, but the internet memes are just so cringeworthy.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22876 on: May 29, 2015, 07:41:19 pm »

So I just watched the Hyperdimension Neptunia anime. I can't believe that someone at Funimation thought it would be a good idea to put internet memes in an anime. It's otherwise an alright anime, but the internet memes are just so cringeworthy.
Someone needs to play the games....

Redzephyr01

• Bay Watcher
  • Ferrum Cor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22877 on: May 29, 2015, 07:48:08 pm »

They used the "all your base are belong to us" meme, twice, unironically. It would be fine if they did it just once, but they said it twice, and it didn't even make sense the second time they used it.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #22878 on: May 29, 2015, 08:07:38 pm »

You... you do know the entire thing's premise is "Console Wars, the Anime" (/"the Game"), right? I mean. It's going to meme. The entire thing is based off what amounts to internet memes. Explicitly.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #22879 on: May 29, 2015, 08:21:22 pm »

Plastic Memories seems pretty neat.

Spoiler: summary (click to show/hide)

I'm digging it so far. Androids, animu grills, android animu grills, the underlying question of "what measure is a non-human". It's cool.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22880 on: May 29, 2015, 08:30:42 pm »

There's a reason why Neptunia is a niche game, and now a niche (albeit nowadays I guess popular...?) anime.

So far, been scrounging up certain manga of various degrees of questionable content. Those mangoes I'll omit there, but so far, I've been hooked on Sekai Oni and Re:Monster.

I'll be brief on both, but Sekai Oni starts pretty much like how Gantz does, and evolves (for better or for worse) into an okay shounen mango with more appeals to emotion than your standard shounen mango.

Re:Monster is about a man dying somewhere and reincarnating as a goblin. Antics ensue as the guy still remembers his skills from his previous life. It's fun for a bit albeit it lacks... progression. Somehow reminds me of Dwarf Fortress Adventure mode. Eh.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #22881 on: May 29, 2015, 08:36:16 pm »

Finished the first episode of Plastic Memories. Pretty sad first episode. The whole concept of retrieving and terminating--effectively euthanizing--androids that are practically people except they're not people is pretty dark and sad and fraught with philosophical questions, but that first episode ending really knows how to peg you in the feels. ;-;

That being said, it's not a total grimdark tragedy. Lots of lighthearted moments to balance it out. Would recommend.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #22882 on: May 29, 2015, 08:36:45 pm »

Re: Monsters also has a fair chunk of the LN translated. I can't in good conscious recommend it -- its sudden interjection of tentacle-assisted harem fucking isn't really appropriate for B12 discussion -- but it was oddly enjoyable. The manga's indeed further along at the moment, though, last I checked. Fun to read it from both perspectives.

You can see broadly similar stuff (though generally with less surprise tentacoo) via japtem's translations (which actually is the group that trans'd part of the Re:Monster LN), the Ark LN project (currently primarily carried forward by Ark Machine Translations), and a few one-off projects. Legendary Moonlight Sculptor, Grimgal (early in the translation, but I'd fairly heartily recommend it.), stuff like that.
Ask not!
Ask!

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22884 on: May 30, 2015, 01:56:46 am »

Goodness I am hitting the same issues with Fairytale again

Entire 30 minute episodes are passing but I feel like nothing has happened.

Ohh well it is STILL in an upswing so I should count my blessings. As long as things are getting better it doesn't matter.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22885 on: May 30, 2015, 06:55:50 am »

The latest weeks manga sales:
5 harem series made the top 10 this week in nytimes. Everything on the list snugly fits into the "shonen" category, there aren't even any seinen series that are selling well. Also, every series is either sci-fi or fantasy and there are no real-world series.
This list includes 3 shonen series, 2 historical or folklore-based series, 2 sports series, 3 romance/drama/slice of life. Number of harems: zero. Unlike the US charts we see stuff on their that's squarely aimed at both male and female readers, and older and younger readers, and the majority of this list (6/10) are set in the regular world devoid of magic or sci-fi.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 07:11:53 am by Reelya »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #22886 on: May 30, 2015, 01:02:22 pm »

Also, every series is either sci-fi or fantasy and there are no real-world series.
At least they're doing something right >_>

Less snarky, can anyone identify where the zog the thing in the white dress in the short scene at 0:36-0:37 in this is from? It's been bothering me ever since I first saw the ruddy thing.
Ask not!
Ask!

Redzephyr01

• Bay Watcher
  • Ferrum Cor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22887 on: May 30, 2015, 01:11:18 pm »

Also, every series is either sci-fi or fantasy and there are no real-world series.
Doesn't JoJo take place in the real world?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #22888 on: May 30, 2015, 01:17:20 pm »

Only conceptually. It's thoroughly bizarre, and has both sci-fi (Nazi cyborgs!) and fantasy (ripple, vampires, stands, etc., etc.). It borrows real geography. Somewhat. That's about it.
Ask not!
Ask!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #22889 on: May 30, 2015, 01:22:07 pm »

Less snarky, can anyone identify where the zog the thing in the white dress in the short scene at 0:36-0:37 in this is from? It's been bothering me ever since I first saw the ruddy thing.
Pretty sure that's the Major from Hellsing.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: 1 ... 1524 1525 [1526] 1527 1528 ... 2193