Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1516 1517 [1518] 1519 1520 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3058514 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #22755 on: May 21, 2015, 01:15:23 am »

I understand it's a direct translation instead of a rewrite

Ouch!

"Trap? I thought you said baseball card"

Direct translations though are kind of a iffy thing because they usually never translate names and when they do... it can be rather weird...
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 01:17:29 am by Neonivek »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #22756 on: May 21, 2015, 01:19:03 am »

In other news, I think it's a webtoon/manwha, but can I just say Fantasy World Survival is pretty damn excellent? It's a fairly down to earth semi-dystopian fantasy, with plenty of action and whatnot. It also stars mokepon's dimensionally displaced protagonist as a main character :V
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22757 on: May 21, 2015, 01:20:17 am »

From the description it sounds like an "After the end" manga.

Where the story takes place AFTER the happy ending and shows the sort of conclusion of what happened.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #22758 on: May 21, 2015, 01:27:12 am »

*waggles hand* Sorta'. That aspect is there, but it's not been the major focus so far.  M'about 4/5ths of the way through what's been translated, I think. More about a pair of fellows making their way through that conclusion than the conclusion itself, though by what hints have been dropped that may change at some point in the future. The reviews are pretty spot on, imo.
Ask not!
Ask!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #22759 on: May 21, 2015, 01:46:29 am »

I understand it's a direct translation instead of a rewrite
Ouch!
Well, pretty much all the special attacks in all of the Fate/ series are just the names of real mythological weapons/etc. (Gae Bolg, Bellerophon, etc,), so the naming stuff isn't actually a problem (actually, their pronunciations of the names of weapons/etc. is generally excellent, especially in the Dubbed version). So none of that "galactic donut" nonsense naming that you see popping up in things like Dragonball Z. The big problem is that the vast majority of lines translate to things that take a fair bit less time to say in English than they would in Japanese. Instead of dealing with this problem by doing small sentence rewrites, or by just having the actors say the whole thing and then pausing at the end, Fate/Zero approached the problem by... adding these really... long pauses fairly randomly in the middle of many of the sentences to stretch their length out to the time of the original Japanese ones. You end up with these really artificial sounding sentences, with people saying things like "So that's it... I know the secret of your spear. Lancer. That red spear... is able to negate magic." Compare that to something like Toaru Kagaku no Railgun, where the sentences aren't always quite a direct translation, but as a result often sound much more natural. (It's probably not helped by the fact that Fate/Zero likes to do lots of cutting back and forth between the faces of two people as they talk, meaning the timing of the sentences is a lot more strict than a normal group scene shot either :P).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22760 on: May 21, 2015, 01:50:23 am »

I watched the sub of Attack on Titan before I watched the dub due to the dub not being out. It was my first time watching a Japanese sub and it was surprisingly ok. When the dub came out, I watched it and my opinion that it was better to watch a dub than a sub was strengthened. The quality wasn't exceptionally good or anything but it was an entirely different experience. I was no longer having to tolerate the silly-sounding screams or deal with the constantly changing subtitled terms (aberrant, abnormal, etc.) Also, I could now recognise Armin was a boy without having to look it up on Google.

But then there was Son Goku and Friends Return. I wanted to watch it but unfortunately there was no dub of it. In the end, I decided to watch the sub. Attack on Titan's sub was decent so why not?
It was the worst thing I ever heard.
Everyone, EVERYONE sounded like a woman. Goku who had a freaking awesome English VA now sounded like an old woman. In English, children are usually played by female VAs but it's usually done well enough that you can't tell. In the Jap dub, however, it was like they weren't even trying to hide the fact that they had female VAs. Vegeta - freaking Vegeta - sounded like what only Kid Vegeta should sound like and he had the manliest voice in the entire god-damned OVA!
Seriously, f*ck the Japanese dub of DBZ.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #22761 on: May 21, 2015, 02:14:03 am »

SUPAH ROBO! SUPAH ROBO

Interesting graphical style. Galient looks fantastic.

Neo look its actual Knight Gundam this time :D
It's FEF, not FEOF

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #22762 on: May 21, 2015, 02:44:37 am »

or deal with the constantly changing subtitled terms (aberrant, abnormal, etc.)
This usually only happens if you switch sites you are watching a show on as you go along. If you always watch it from the same site then it's almost always the same sub group doing it each week, which means the terms they use are generally consistent throughout (the exceptions being the horrible english you see in openings occasionally :P).

And yeah, manly voices are one of the things Japanese VA's often aren't as good at doing as American VA's, so something with a cast of fairly exclusively manly guys (like DBZ) is gonna suffer a fair bit. On the other hand what I definitely love about sub's instead of dubs is that they add a bit of age to the voices of most school aged characters; I'd rather listen to a cast of characters that sound like older high-school aged kids than ones that sound like the screeching girls and soprano guys you find on a middle school field any day.

Also: You couldn't tell that Armin was a guy at first glance? ??? Like I find that 99% of the time the combination of body shape, hair length, face style, and a bunch of other little details lets me tell at first glance what gender characters are, with very few exceptions (I can honestly think of only two times in shows where I haven't been able to tell a character's gender the first couple of seconds; Crona in Soul Eater and Hastur in Haiyore! Nyaruko-san). In the case of Armin I noticed (in general decreasing order of importance):
1) He doesn't have breasts.
2) He doesn't have hips.
3) He has thicker eyebrows.
4) His hair is both short and his bang line is almost totally horizontal without any separate "framing locks".
5) His lips are neither dainty nor full, and his mouth is larger than the female mouths in the series.
6) He was wearing guy's clothes when he first showed up.
Put them all together and, BAM, guy. Albeit a guy with some feminine features (notably his overall facial composition, his eye shape+size combination, and his longer hair on the sides+back), but definitely a guy.

Is it just me that doesn't have any trouble identifying anime genders at all? Is this a widespread problem that I've somehow missed out on? :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22763 on: May 21, 2015, 03:13:57 am »

Not knowing Crona's gender can certainly be forgiven. Word of God says not even he knows Crona's gender.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22764 on: May 21, 2015, 04:43:15 am »

2) Their parents are absent from their children's lives because they're always working, are deadbeats, abandoned the family, mysteriously disappeared, need rescuing, died, or are even antagonists or villains in the story. Sometimes their absence is some part of the protagonist's call to adventure; they set off to discover their parents, rescue them, or defeat them. The children may also run away from home, or be separated from them in the wake of tragedy or disaster. Common to more gritty or serious stories, or those aimed at older kids or teens, though comedy and upbeat themes work fine with it too. Anime: Record of Lodoss War, NGE, YuYu Hakusho, Dragon Ball, Fullmetal Alchemist, Naruto. Cartoons: Adventure Time, Thundercats. Stories: Harry Potter again, Eragon, Lord of the Rings (Sorta? Hobbits are kinda symbolic of children).
Star Wars is the classic example of this trope, since Luke's backstory has a bit of almost every possible thing you listed, with his real and foster parents.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 04:45:24 am by Reelya »

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22765 on: May 21, 2015, 06:46:57 am »

The only dub I'll watch is the Black Lagoon one, just because I like listening to Dutch say things.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #22766 on: May 21, 2015, 06:49:41 am »

... afro samurai, maaan.
Ask not!
Ask!

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22767 on: May 21, 2015, 08:31:05 am »

The Black Lagoon dub is the greatest thing ever.

In a rather unrelated note, glorious 80 anime ovas with american dubs tend to be hilarious. Try watching dubbed angel cop and not bursting into laughter on every episode.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22768 on: May 21, 2015, 09:09:21 am »

On that note, what are some 80s anime worth watching?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22769 on: May 21, 2015, 10:09:36 am »

I like that the guy who tortures his kids and keeps his daughter in indefinite solitary confinement is not the worst dad in HxH
Pages: 1 ... 1516 1517 [1518] 1519 1520 ... 2193