Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1508 1509 [1510] 1511 1512 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3059222 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #22635 on: May 16, 2015, 08:11:21 am »

Well Dungeon has managed to do the impossible and become half as interesting pretty much immediately by diving head first into outright Harem territory... instead of simply eluding to a sort of harem mentality.

Ohh well... It had the knowledge to toss the stupid "Will they, wont they" plot to the side as to not interfere with the interesting plot... So I am sure that this episode was just a fluke/joke and there really won't be women throwing themselves at our main character constantly to vie for his attention.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22636 on: May 16, 2015, 09:52:23 am »

I've caught up with Dugeon myself. I get the harem aspects. There are at least 5 girls who he interacts with regularly, and maybe 1-2 more waiting in the wings.

But I don't get where you say there's an "interesting plot". There really isn't much overarching plot at all except "Bell gets more and more level-ups". Side plots come and go, but they don't seem to go anywhere. Meanwhile the harem keeps getting bigger. One of the plots coming up now is to do with yet another lady interested in the hero for some inexplicable reason.

Sure, they're foreshadowing a potential Big Bad, but it's only a few eps from the end-of-season, so it's more like a token baddie to give the hero a bossfight in the finale. To me, that sort of thing in an action/harem/comedy is not a "real" plot. We all know how it ends, he fights Big Bad in the finale, and the show ends with his life in stasis with his expanded harem. That's not a "plot", it's a sitcom.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 10:01:47 am by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22637 on: May 16, 2015, 09:59:56 am »

The story of Bell and his slow building relationship with others, the city, and his quest for self-determination?

That is definitely the more interesting plot then "who will get into his pants!"

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22638 on: May 16, 2015, 10:03:34 am »

You know the majority of shows labeled "harem" don't actually involve constant efforts of multiple girls to get into the heros pants? A few do, but most do not.  The common feature of all harem shows is "attention", not sex. And all the girls in Dungeon want his attention, so it's a regular harem. Also, all harem shows have stronger first seasons because those contain the "meeting the girls" plot arcs, and thus are more interesting than the part that comes later, when it becomes more about slice-of-life and day to day interactions. You might be mistaking these "introduction" plot arcs for the "relationship building", I think.

The city isn't really that interesting either. Everything revolves around the same basic thing about gods/goddesses who have entourages of adventurers who level up in a single D&D dungeon. It's very weak as a setting. Because the gods can be "anything", the plot is at the same time "nothing". There's no substance to it and more gods and familias are just added in ad-hoc as it goes.

Things just tick along in the city, there's no dynamic aspect to the storyline whatsoever.

And his "quest for self-determination". Seriously? All his life goals are is to level up as an adventurer. Sure he has some backstory about family members killed off, but that's the most generic possible backstory and motivation of all time.

Don't pretend there's anything more than 1-dimensional in this series.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 10:30:24 am by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22639 on: May 16, 2015, 10:34:23 am »

Whatever...

I hate a show I am told I hate everything.

I like a show and I am told I am projecting a completely different show onto it.

Maybe I should just have an entirely apathetic view... Like "anime exists"

To fulfill this I'll watch Umineko about 10 times... That would suck out anyone's soul.

Ultimately Reelya I saw the main appeal of Dungeon is that it is mostly a show about "growing up" set in a sort of dungeon universe so exploring the setting was also important.

Bell might be "one dimensional" but that is fine, he is just a kid. He is just learning about what he really wants and if he has the ability to do it.

My faith in the show has yet to be completely shattered... for me to go in here and whine about how terrible the show has become... how it completely failed to meet my expectations of being "not a terrible anime".

Sure we know it is going to happen... It is an anime and anime isn't subtle. It doesn't pretend to have harem elements in order to follow through with an enriching story. It only exaggerates these harem elements as it goes along and suck everyone into this black hole of misery only for the main character to show how awesome he is in the last second.

We aren't going to get Princess Tutu twice.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 10:39:16 am by Neonivek »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22640 on: May 16, 2015, 10:40:29 am »

Nitpicking and whitewashing are two extremes.

I like a lot of bad shows, but I don't try and defend them or whitewash their flaws.

My main nitpick with Dungeon is that it has the type of plot/setting which entirely ensures that the plot can't go anywhere. In many cases, it's not an issue of the plot not going anywhere, but the entire premise of the show ensures that it can't. These shows can be fine, but don't try and see a great plot where it's not. You get mini-arcs and the plot stasis returns.

I'd contrast that with Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic. Despite it's flaws, at least actual plot events happen in Magi, and it's has far deeper character development.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 10:42:53 am by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22641 on: May 16, 2015, 10:42:26 am »

That is because there is no "Plot" to Dungeon so to speak.

It is like "Ready or Not" or "Boy Meets World"

What is the plot to those TV shows? Nothing...

That is what I still am delusional to think the show is.

Dungeon isn't bad yet... Right now it is 50% the way towards bad as if the current episode.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2015, 10:44:59 am by Neonivek »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22642 on: May 16, 2015, 11:13:04 am »

Oh well, we can all agree this one is bad. it's a newly announced anime for summer based on a series of figures. Character names so far are fighter, mage, paladin, dark elf, hunter and valkyrie. So all archetypes.

Synopsis
Set in an RPG world with swords and magic, warriors must form a party to defeat the demon lord. But, these warriors are all wearing Bikini armor!! (Source: Official site)

The series is called "Bikini Warriors". Here's a (NSFW) visual:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #22643 on: May 16, 2015, 11:14:53 am »

Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #22644 on: May 16, 2015, 11:21:06 am »

At the very least, I can applaud the design of their title. Very NES, much wow. Near straight dragon quest rip, is nice.

Also character names being archtypes isn't a necessary point against! Maou Yuusha did the same thing and I think most of us can agree it's pretty darn decent.

... this one probably won't be, but still.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22645 on: May 16, 2015, 11:25:53 am »

By the way I finished watching the Chimera Ant arc of HxH the other day, that was pretty great.  I think the show is about on-par with FMA (it has more filler but better villains).
To fulfill this I'll watch Umineko about 10 times... That would suck out anyone's soul.
You should really read the VN already

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22646 on: May 16, 2015, 11:26:35 am »

Set in an RPG world with swords and magic, warriors must form a party to defeat the demon lord. But, these warriors are all wearing Bikini armor!!
TBH you could describe a lot of series with this synopsis.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #22647 on: May 16, 2015, 01:50:48 pm »

Well. I'm not sure what I was expecting. At least they're honest.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #22648 on: May 16, 2015, 02:54:43 pm »

Man, as a person who hasn't seen the Unlimited Blade Works route before of F/SN, it really seems like we're moving into the endgame, but we've still got at least 4 more episodes (one of which will probably be at least partly an aftermath one) and as many bad guys as we have episodes. This looks to be an exciting, awesome battle-filled ending.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22649 on: May 16, 2015, 05:48:05 pm »

Man, as a person who hasn't seen the Unlimited Blade Works route before of F/SN, it really seems like we're moving into the endgame, but we've still got at least 4 more episodes (one of which will probably be at least partly an aftermath one) and as many bad guys as we have episodes. This looks to be an exciting, awesome battle-filled ending.
NO SPOILERS. DO NOT EVEN MENTION A BIG BAD IF THERE IS ONE.

So....why do you guys watch harem anime so much? I mean, it's all terrible. Always. Why watch it? Is it purely so you can complain about it here or something?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.
Pages: 1 ... 1508 1509 [1510] 1511 1512 ... 2193