Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1507 1508 [1509] 1510 1511 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3059479 times)

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #22620 on: May 15, 2015, 07:28:20 am »

Pretty much, though truthfully it was never really much of a 'martial arts' manganime to begin with.
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22621 on: May 15, 2015, 04:17:05 pm »

Er, I can't remember enough to properly comment, but I'm pretty sure actual skill was made fairly irrelevant a long, long time ago in that series. After the last proper World Tournament Arc (Piccolo Jr. at the end of Dragon Ball). After that, it became pretty much 100% about special techniques, energy blasts, power ups, pure physical abilities, and HIYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!
Well, it seems it's become relevant again. Heck, in that movie we first see Vegeta training his technique rather than moar x150 gravity. Power is still very obiously important but a lot of the damage the heroes dealt in that movie were because they were skilled, never really being more powerful than Beerus.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #22622 on: May 15, 2015, 04:39:48 pm »

At one point, Beerus even commented that Vegeta was a skilled fighter (but simply not powerful enough) - something he didn't say of Goku.
I think its kinda ALWAYS been implied that Vegeta is a more skilled fighter then Goku. At least on a tactical level.

The thing that really lets Goku get over on Vegeta is that Goku has better training strategy i.e. in the Cell arc when Vegeta trained for "MOAR POWAH" Goku came upon the idea to train himself to make super saiyan "normal" and even earlier he was the first to make use of the ships gravity controls for training purposes.

If they ever fought with perfectly matched power levels I don't think Goku would do very well.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22623 on: May 15, 2015, 04:50:40 pm »

Pretty much, though truthfully it was never really much of a 'martial arts' manganime to begin with.

Shhh! we must keep up the illusion that they are actual martial artists! rather then just... people who punch really hard.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22624 on: May 15, 2015, 05:36:43 pm »

Can anyone tell me who this is? :p

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #22625 on: May 15, 2015, 05:43:26 pm »

Can anyone tell me who this is? :p
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Main character's sister from the anime Oreimo, short for "There's No Way My Little Sister Can Be This Cute!"

That is the titular sister.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22626 on: May 15, 2015, 06:40:39 pm »

A character from one of the foremost otaku-bait fetish series in the world.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #22627 on: May 15, 2015, 06:56:46 pm »

A character from one of the foremost otaku-bait fetish series in the world.
Well that may be a bit harsher than necess-...wait, no, no, this checks out. It has both the otaku-bait and the fetish fuel.

I didn't think it was complete shit though. :v There's almost certainly worse siscon animus.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #22628 on: May 15, 2015, 10:10:59 pm »

There are, but "foremost" and "most" are two different words. While oreimo isn't the most otaku-bait fetish series in the world (not by a ruddy long shot), it's definitely one of the best known and best representative thereof. One of the foremost of its kind, yeh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22629 on: May 15, 2015, 10:31:17 pm »

Ilooked it up. It doesn't really seem like my thing, but I might give it a look once I'm done with the three series I'm already in the middle of.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22630 on: May 15, 2015, 11:48:52 pm »

Oreimo was ok, but I don't really recommend it particularly - unless that's exactly what you're looking for, a light harem/comedy with otaku/siscon memes, or if you're someone who absolutely wants to see every single popular anime. But if that was the case, you've probably already seen Oreimo.

There are just too many other good shows out there. Even in "haremish" shows there are dozens more out there that have more originality to offer than Oreimo. Seitokai Yakuindomo is one of my favorites of the harem/school club genre. It has it's own very distinctive style of humor and doesn't rely on the stock situations you find in most similar shows. e.g. accidental boob grabs like you find in Oreimo etc.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 11:51:56 pm by Reelya »

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22631 on: May 16, 2015, 01:12:14 am »

Can someone explain to me why an incest anime is so popular?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #22632 on: May 16, 2015, 01:19:22 am »

It's taboo, which automatically appeals to some slices of the population. Moreover, it creates a situation in which the two characters can be living together with no further explanation required, making a great many standard scenes trivial to justify (walking in during shower, etc.) as well as an instant "But that's forbidden love!" theme. Basically, if you work really hard to ignore the squick, it's an effective way to conceal the degree to which you're a hack writer, although as the schtick proliferates it stops doing that. This is often "justified" by a reveal that they are step-siblings or one or both are adopted, or some other mechanism of ensuring that they're no more closely biologically related than is culturally acceptable. Although that actually makes it a bit creepier to me, not because of anything to do with the narrative per se, but because it suggests that inbreeding is the only thing the author sees wrong with incest.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22633 on: May 16, 2015, 02:20:37 am »

I stumbled over a little game called "Adventure Bar Story" in the 3DS Eshop, an anime-styled game where you run a Bar by being a great chef, and you give yourself an edge by collecting ingredients in 'dungeons' (more accurately described as just outdoor locales) and fighting monsters in generic RPG turnbased combat.

I have to say though, for a game that looks so generic and so cheaply made, I've just fallen in love with it. I say that in earnestness, cause while it's individual components seem uninteresting, put together it creates a very enjoyable pace for this little game.

What ties it together is the cooking. There's 100+ dishes you can make that you need to sell, in order to make money and make your Bar a successful business, which is the ultimate goal of the game. You also need to cook dishes to level up your characters, or as the game puts it "The only way to level up is to EAT!" and goddamn do your characters need to eat alot, hucking down 5-6 pizzas a day is pretty normal. Certain foods also afford your characters temporary buffs for that day. Money from sales is random, but influenced by how prestigious your restaurant is, variety, value of the dishes, a dish's demand, and how 'stale' an item is; you can't keep serving the same things over and over again, or else people get sick of it and won't buy.

With the money you get from transactions, you can buy more ingredients to make more dishes, but also you can use spare cash for consumable health potions, phoenix downs, weapons, armor, etcetera.

So, in short, your cooking ability directly translates into your progression through the story, your character's levels and ability, your items, your buffs, and your weapons/armor. It's very unifying in how it ties together every element of the game at once.

Of course, as you progress through the game, you have to continue learning new recipes. You have dozens of ingredients, but how to put them together to form worthwhile dishes is anybody's guess! Fortunately, there's recipes everywhere in the game, you can buy them from merchants, find them in books, or from talking to people in you adventure. As you acquire more ingredients and talk to people, the game also throws 'hints' your way, which are incompleted recipes, and you can try to piece together the missing ingredients. It's extremely satisfying, in that not only do you have to spend time in the game to advance your characters, but you have to actually think and learn about the game's world in order to advance through it, otherwise you simply can't succeed.

This is one of those games where you simply can't rely on GameFAQ's or any outside help at all, relying on your own smarts is what makes the game enjoyable.

Moreover, it has a time limit mechanic, in that each day lets you do exactly one thing: You can go to a dungeon to collect free ingredients and fight monsters, or you can visit a neighboring town to purchase unique ingredients from their local stores and use other game mechanics found there. Every ten days the game is gauging your progress in a cooking competition, so you have to use your time wisely! Limited Time mechanics are things I love alot. I love it here, I loved it in Persona 4, I loved it in Recettear, and I wish more games used it. It really makes you appreciate the weight of your actions more.

I just wanted to gush real fast about this dumb little game I've found a surprising appreciation for, cause otherwise I'm sure noone will ever look at it.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #22634 on: May 16, 2015, 02:42:32 am »

Okay, just rapid-fired my way through the first 6 episodes of "The Devil is a Part-Timer!" and I've got to say that it was exactly what I needed. With all the crap that has been going on in my life, it was nice to be able to settle back and enjoy a nice comedic show that doesn't simultaneously involve drowning in fanservice (which can be alright at times, don't get me wrong, but it's not really what I want ATM). So far it's been 5/5 stars from me, we'll have to see if it can pull through to the end. :)
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: 1 ... 1507 1508 [1509] 1510 1511 ... 2193