Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1506 1507 [1508] 1509 1510 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3058724 times)

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #22605 on: May 14, 2015, 06:15:26 pm »

He has yaoi hands. Thus, it is a yaoi.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22606 on: May 14, 2015, 06:20:21 pm »

He has yaoi hands. Thus, it is a yaoi.

Ohhh the spoilers I wish I could give.

Because when I said subtext I bet people were expecting like the Naruto subtext... Ohh it is a bit more overt.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22607 on: May 14, 2015, 10:47:42 pm »

it's probably fanservice for the female viewers since it's shoujo, whereas Naruto is shonen so if it's in there, it's going to be waaaaay more on the low-down so as not to turn off their core demographic.

Like i was saying, the harem genre often has blatant yuri overtones that also don't go anywhere: they're more like set-piece comedy (e.g. the infamous girl-on-girl boob groping) than actual plot-points. They just have the lesbian-boob-grope scene in there, and it's not elaborated on, nor is it expected to be elaborated on, because that is the nature of the genre. So there might be such a thing as a "genre derail" in just about any genre: if they actually followed up on the typical scenes in an extremely logical way, the entire genre of the series itself would be derailed into a deconstruction of the tropes.

Think about action movies for a second, all the "saved in the nick of time" scenes. Let's make that more logical. Either you'd actually play it safe, or the main characters would quickly end up dead. Either way would be more realistic, but you've either turned it into a very short, tragic movie about the dangers of e.g. not using a seat-belt (with realistic head injuries) or you've removed one of the key thrills of watching action movies: the excitement of all the close-calls.

Yes, there are things that do not make sense in fiction. But that doesn't mean fiction is bad. Telling a captivating story vs a realistic story are two different things. So, not every trope needs to turn into a full-blown plot point. You can complain about that, cut away all the fat of a series completely. But almost any series would end up extremely short then. I could tell you the entire plot of Star Wars in under 5 minutes easily, by removing all unnecessary points.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 11:00:37 pm by Reelya »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #22608 on: May 14, 2015, 11:26:04 pm »

Because when I said subtext I bet people were expecting like the Naruto subtext... Ohh it is a bit more overt.
Someone say something about subtext?
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #22609 on: May 14, 2015, 11:27:48 pm »

Someone say something about subtext?
I wonder how many times this amv has been posted in this thread. I think this is the third time I've seen it.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #22610 on: May 14, 2015, 11:28:22 pm »

I know right? It's because it's applicable to so much in the world of anime. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22611 on: May 14, 2015, 11:40:01 pm »

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #22612 on: May 14, 2015, 11:54:04 pm »

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #22613 on: May 15, 2015, 12:10:05 am »

If I had one major complaint about MY Love STORY!! [sic] so far it'd be the art style. It straddles the line between being normal anime and being just...different enough that it's...not appealing. Something about the prominence of almost everyone's lips in some way combined with the occasional expressions and/or anime eyes. It's got some kind of uncanny valley effect.

That was probably the most prominent example I've seen of it so far. Might just be something to do with the main girl's design.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22614 on: May 15, 2015, 02:28:39 am »

Yes, there are things that do not make sense in fiction. But that doesn't mean fiction is bad. Telling a captivating story vs a realistic story are two different things.

I would argue that you can make a captivating realistic story, you just need to be a better writer. Using "standard" tropes are generally a crutch for people who do not have the imagination to come up with something truly brilliant, or for those that just want to make money and thus play it safe.

If I had one major complaint about MY Love STORY!! [sic] so far it'd be the art style. It straddles the line between being normal anime and being just...different enough that it's...not appealing. Something about the prominence of almost everyone's lips in some way combined with the occasional expressions and/or anime eyes. It's got some kind of uncanny valley effect.

That was probably the most prominent example I've seen of it so far. Might just be something to do with the main girl's design.

Yeah that main girl kinda freaked me out when I watched it, she looks almost like she's going to yandere-stab someone.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22615 on: May 15, 2015, 02:53:48 am »

btw for the k-on fans, this seasons Show By Rock looks very K-On-ish, at least near the start. Then ... stuff happens. I'm not really sure what.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22616 on: May 15, 2015, 03:54:29 am »

Gonna talk about Battle of Gods for a sec.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

UXLZ

• Bay Watcher
  • God Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #22617 on: May 15, 2015, 07:25:46 am »

Er, I can't remember enough to properly comment, but I'm pretty sure actual skill was made fairly irrelevant a long, long time ago in that series. After the last proper World Tournament Arc (Piccolo Jr. at the end of Dragon Ball). After that, it became pretty much 100% about special techniques, energy blasts, power ups, pure physical abilities, and HIYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!
Ahhh~ She looked into your eyes,
And saw what laid beneath,
Don't try to save yourself,
The circle is complete.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22618 on: May 15, 2015, 07:26:36 am »

Er, I can't remember enough to properly comment, but I'm pretty sure actual skill was made fairly irrelevant a long, long time ago in that series. After the last proper World Tournament Arc (Piccolo Jr. at the end of Dragon Ball). After that, it became pretty much 100% about special techniques, energy blasts, power ups, pure physical abilities, and HIYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Not to mention they pretty much stopped refining their techniques.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22619 on: May 15, 2015, 07:28:00 am »

That's just what shoujou art looks like.  I believe the anime in general is trying to play with shoujou genre conventions by having it focus on the hot guy's ugly best friend instead of him
Pages: 1 ... 1506 1507 [1508] 1509 1510 ... 2193