Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1502 1503 [1504] 1505 1506 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3058239 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #22545 on: May 09, 2015, 06:23:47 pm »

For example in the standard hero's journey structure there's a point called the "refusal of the call". This is where the hero, in his ordinary life rejects the call to go off on the adventure, but then fate or somesuch kicks his backside to actually go do Hero Things.
If you're talking about that "monomyth" thing, no it's not a standard hero's journey structure. It has elements of such, but it's very much not a standard's hero journey, it's more of "standard hero fanfiction story".

I didn't mention the monomyth. but the general stages are in pretty much every influential book on scriptwriting etc. The tropes are everywhere because all the major sources on storywriting were heavily influenced by Joseph Campbell. His seminal work came out in 1949. It's been heavily influential on modern cinema scriptwriting, and the concepts have spread to every medium from that. So, there's the idea that some tropes are fundamental and work in any setting/story, but there's also the historical fact that these theories have directly influenced the last 50 years worth of screenwriting, regardless of whether they're really "universal" or not.

The basic tropes are everywhere in published fiction not just "fanfiction". In fact I'd be highly skeptical if fanfiction commonly adheres to any sort of rigorous structure.

Some things really do happen in almost every story. Aside from the obvious "there is a hero" idea, you're most likely going to get some sidekicks, and a mentor character. And you can bank on the mentor either dying or being otherwise incapacitated sometime after the half-way point of the work, but before the Big Battle.

You have no idea how much of a production line expensive commercial series are. They adhere to well established structures and theories of scriptwriting far more than fanfiction does, because they have to when they're pouring 10's of millions of dollars into something they don't want to experiment with story structure on top of that. Look at Star Wars. That adheres to the monomyth almost to the letter. And Star Wars influenced a whole lot of other movies. The monomyth is a set of rules that professionals stick to because it always produces a workable story. It's not some fringe thing that crazy fanfiction writers are into.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 06:43:14 pm by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22546 on: May 09, 2015, 06:45:14 pm »

Monomyth is unfortunately just so generic it applies to everything whether you like it or not.

"I went to the fridge and saw that there was no milk, so I went to the store and bought some more milk, I then walked home and had myself a tall glass of milk"

Is following the Monomyth.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22547 on: May 09, 2015, 06:47:59 pm »

TIL my car is supernatural, the greeter at Walmart is a threshold guardian, supermarkets are the great unknown, choosing a brand is a symbolic death, revelation, and rebirth, and making it through rush-hour traffic is a divine gift.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22548 on: May 09, 2015, 07:21:17 pm »

Let's not talk about the monomyth. Seriously, any discussion involving it will go on for several pages.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22549 on: May 10, 2015, 10:30:54 am »

Ok in the entire Yu-Gi-Oh series there was always something I found odd

There is often this point where the character receives or finds a bunch of "Useless" cards that either were abandoned or the villain gives the hero.

Yet the hero is never inhibited by this because it turns out there were actually some pretty powerful cards in there! just ones with low attack and defense values.

To admit this isn't that unusual because the average person in the show seems to be absolutely terrible at the game to the point where you need a class to know "how to fuse" and XYZ summons are considered "super advanced" in spite being made to be the easiest summon possible.

But it is always just weird especially in light that the vast majority of Yu-Gi-Oh cards are absolutely useless (one of the major criticisms of the real life game). It isn't like they made a Skull Servant Deck or something where you needed extra cards to make it worthwhile making it "seemingly" useless.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #22550 on: May 10, 2015, 11:33:08 am »

re: fics: Well no shit you gotta be discerning, Sturgeon's revelation and all that. A good starting point is with EarthScorpion, both AGSItV and Overlady are fantastic, and both rely on a failed summoning rather than "X character is summoned instead of the dickish pervert."

No time for a proper overview 'cause I'm sitting to take the GRE in about ten minutes, ciao!
First one's pretty fascinating, but it feels like it's slow as hell. Haven't gotten into the second one.

Part of the problem may be that I don't actually like any of these characters, so watching them do slightly less stupid shit isn't especially appealing.
AGSItV is pretty slow and I've been steadily losing interest over the last couple of chapters, but Overlady is super-awesome. Like seriously, it's some of the best fiction I've read in quite some time. Like 9.5/10 rating easily. Earthscorpion tends to be hit and miss with me, but when he hits he really hits hard.

Also worth noting that I've never watched/read FoZ.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 11:38:30 am by Demonic Spoon »

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #22551 on: May 10, 2015, 11:35:21 am »

Accidental doublepost, Bay12 has been wonky for me the entire day for some reason. Anyone else experiencing something similar?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 11:39:57 am by Demonic Spoon »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #22552 on: May 10, 2015, 07:21:17 pm »

Been slow and error-prone for me, and I've seen a few other people accidentally make four-five threads at once.

Started watching Yuki Yuna is a Hero, but I get the feeling I'm being reverse Madoka'd. Which is to say watching cute girls doing cute things while punching monsters.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22553 on: May 10, 2015, 07:40:42 pm »

It does kinda step up after the halfway mark. But overall I didn't enjoy Yuki Yuna. Poor man's Madoka.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22555 on: May 11, 2015, 12:14:40 pm »

I'm pretty sure I know how business works now.
I can't stop laughing now, oh spirits, the continuous gesticulation! The worst part is that that's exactly how a lot of meetings (not necessarily business/corporate ofc.) work, albeit slightly more exaggerated than normal.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22556 on: May 11, 2015, 12:19:39 pm »

I can't stop laughing now, oh spirits, the continuous gesticulation! The worst part is that that's exactly how a lot of meetings (not necessarily business/corporate ofc.) work, albeit slightly more exaggerated than normal.
two things
1.what anime is that
2.i agree that(in my opinion sadly)a lot of business meetings are like that )<:

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22557 on: May 11, 2015, 02:39:17 pm »

two things
1.what anime is that

Yahari Ore no Seishun Rabu Kome wa Machigatteiru (My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU).

The show is absolutely taking the piss out of people who try to look impressive by using big meaningless sentences and buzz words, I love it.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22558 on: May 11, 2015, 04:42:21 pm »

Zankyuo no Terror is pretty swell.

That is all.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22559 on: May 11, 2015, 05:30:43 pm »

two things
1.what anime is that

Yahari Ore no Seishun Rabu Kome wa Machigatteiru (My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU).

The show is absolutely taking the piss out of people who try to look impressive by using big meaningless sentences and buzz words, I love it.
before i go watch this does it have
1.excessive boobage
2.excessive gore
3.well designed characters
Pages: 1 ... 1502 1503 [1504] 1505 1506 ... 2193