Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1493 1494 [1495] 1496 1497 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3059187 times)

No lynch

• Bay Watcher
  • Came here for mafia, poking my nose around now
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #22410 on: May 05, 2015, 05:50:59 pm »

Meep
« Last Edit: July 15, 2021, 12:36:31 am by No lynch »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22411 on: May 05, 2015, 06:01:44 pm »

Okay, so.

I've heard a bunch of friends at school talking about anime, but I'm not sure what that is.

So for the uninitiated, what is anime and why are people so fanatic about it?

Japanese ripoffs of old American cartoons.

Or, slightly more seriously, you're going to get a response equivalent to asking someone "what are novels?"

"Anime" refers to, generally, cartoons made in Japan; some are adaptions of comics, games, or novels, others are standalone. They generally cover a wider range than western cartoons by virtue of having things other than children's shows or adult humor. That said, a lot of the series that have the largest fanbases in the West tend to be the ones directed at the 9-15 demographic, in part because that's when a lot of people over here started or start watching anime. If you're still in public school, I'd give about 60-70% odds that this is what your friends are watching

There's also a good selection of works that are partially or wholly targeted at adults which tend to be more along the lines of animated drama, romance, politics, science-fiction, &c. There's the ten-cent answer.

e: I'll throw up some links to clips from some of the quality works out there. Two from Cowboy Bebop, two from Baccano!, and one from Fate/Zero.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 06:15:13 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22412 on: May 05, 2015, 06:14:37 pm »

How about you respect my view that the Three Stooges are horrid unfunny bastards who do nothing but abuse each other for hours on end? Oh, look, we can both make spurious, unsupported, opinionated arguments!

Really? I thought you were using the three stooges as the excuse why ZnT was funny and sexy.

Because by all means if you dislike the three stooges because they are horrible abusive people who just beat each other up all the time... Fair enough. I don't like Tom and Jerry by the same merit.

But if you say "Hey this is funny so how dare you say this is not funny" then...

If you want to persist in pushing this, at least try to back it up instead of saying "Nuh uh your evidence doesn't count, and you need to respect my opinion even though I'm avoiding supporting it with anything from any source save my imagination!"

You picked the most 'innocent' examples of abuse you could find as evidence of the contrary.

It would be like if we had a fight where I say Fred yells at Wilma WAY too much... and you got images of Fred baby talking towards pebbles.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 06:20:29 pm by Neonivek »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22413 on: May 05, 2015, 06:17:33 pm »

How about you respect my view that the Three Stooges are horrid unfunny bastards who do nothing but abuse each other for hours on end? Oh, look, we can both make spurious, unsupported, opinionated arguments!

Really? I thought you were using the three stooges as the excuse why ZnT was funny and sexy.

Are you intentionally missing the point? Let me spell it out:

Genre. Conventions. Exist. Which. Would. Not. Be. Acceptable. If. They. Were. Acted. Out. By. Real. People. In. Real. Life.

Additionally:

Someone. Thinking. That. A. Work. Is. A. Certain. Way. Does. Not. Make. Them. Correct. If. Their. Opinion. Directly. Contradicts. All. Established. Evidence. In. Said. Work.

I can't make it any simpler than that.

3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22414 on: May 05, 2015, 06:22:01 pm »

Just because there are "gender conventions" doesn't make them right or even pleasant to watch.

And ZnT certainly crosses that line.

By the way the Three Stooges HAVE hit a woman before and poisoned a little girl.

As well Zero IS abusive... I don't get how "gender convention" changes that. The anime tries to make you laugh at how abusive she is, and make you feel aroused while she abuses a 12 year old boy.

That isn't something the anime tries to hide, that is directly in context.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 06:27:09 pm by Neonivek »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22415 on: May 05, 2015, 06:27:34 pm »

Just because there are "gender conventions" doesn't make them right or even pleasant to watch.

And ZnT certainly crosses that line.

By the way the Three Stooges HAVE hit a woman before and poisoned a little girl.

And yet you argued that the Three Stooges were "different". Second, I at no point claimed that they were good writing or enjoyable viewing. You're also still claiming things without backing them up at all. If you're just going to say "This is what I think and everything else is wrong," endlessly while ignoring every argument I make, I'm just going to drop it here, because there's no point banging my head against a brick wall or cluttering the thread up.

Otherwise, show me any passage at all from the LNs or any scene from that atrocious anime in which any of the characters seriously treat it as abuse rather than comedy.

3. Run Resize Enable

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #22416 on: May 05, 2015, 06:28:49 pm »

... genre, neo, not gender. Very different. Also Saito is 17, and violence as a gag setup is animation is just... normal. If you find it distasteful, that's okay, but ZnT really isn't exactly excessive compared to the norm.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22417 on: May 05, 2015, 06:31:34 pm »

That's what is honestly so baffling to me. There's more casual, social violence in your average Tom & Jerry or Southpark episode than in entire volumes or seasons of ZnT.

3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22418 on: May 05, 2015, 06:34:46 pm »

in which any of the characters seriously treat it as abuse rather than comedy.

Really? The guy treats it like abuse... and she treats it like abuse.

... genre, neo, not gender. Very different. Also Saito is 17, and violence as a gag setup is animation is just... normal. If you find it distasteful, that's okay, but ZnT really isn't exactly excessive compared to the norm.

Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuh... that is debatable. Perhaps in "Number of scenes of abuse" since there are certainly ones where the woman abuses our hero regularly (See Inuyasha).

But this is a quality over quantity sort of deal.

That's what is honestly so baffling to me. There's more casual, social violence in your average Tom & Jerry or Southpark episode than in entire volumes or seasons of ZnT.

Because ZnT is far FAR more grounded then ALL of those.

When I watch ZnT I feel like I am watching real scenes of abuse. Nothing takes me out of the scene to help me view it in a comical fashion...

I mean there was a scene later where she was in her underwear while doing it... But you see I am not a pervert.

---

But honestly I don't know what we are arguing.

Since I started off that ZnT is the only anime I hate... because by all means their depiction of abuse is rather realistic.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 06:37:33 pm by Neonivek »

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22419 on: May 05, 2015, 07:38:29 pm »

does anyone here like last exile
(note to other forum users:i half finished reading the 1000+ pages.)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 11:43:00 pm by High tyrol »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22420 on: May 05, 2015, 07:40:50 pm »

does anyone here like last exile
(note to other forum users:i havn't finished reading the 1000+ pages yet.)

No one expects you to actually read through the 1000+ pages.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #22421 on: May 05, 2015, 07:45:43 pm »

Never heard of it, but the 1k+ pages intrigues me. Wuzzit?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #22422 on: May 05, 2015, 07:48:35 pm »

ZnT is a lightnovel. Those parts read as literal torture.

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22423 on: May 05, 2015, 07:55:52 pm »

does anyone have a suggestion for good time travel anime like steins gate?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22424 on: May 05, 2015, 08:05:11 pm »

ZnT is a lightnovel. Those parts read as literal torture.

Yeah that is what astonished me the most.

I honestly thought the Anime made it up...
Pages: 1 ... 1493 1494 [1495] 1496 1497 ... 2193