Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1492 1493 [1494] 1495 1496 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3059312 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #22395 on: May 05, 2015, 12:37:21 am »

Flying Dice...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Just respect my view that she is a horrible abusive person because the anime doesn't pretend she isn't... I just don't find it funny and I especially do not find it sexy.

As well do not assume I am humorless because I don't find this funny. It is fully possible to like the Three Stooges and not ZnT. I hardly go after people who find Inuyasha (Kagome specifically from the show) abusive because "They didn't get the joke".
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 04:08:00 am by Neonivek »

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22396 on: May 05, 2015, 05:34:30 am »

Nia, on the other hand, is a Mary Sue Damsel in Distress who I....actually find endearing for some reason. Seriously, I've seen her character archetype before and I've always loathed it but not in this case. Anyone know why?
Spoiler: Actual Spoilers (click to show/hide)

fakedit: I've figured it out! I like Nia because she has the same voice actress as Starfire! It was so obvious in retrospect, I can't believe I didn't see it as the reason earlier!

On the subject, I don't think I can recall a single anime or Western TV show with actual swordfighting. Probably because the average person doesn't actually know what a real swordfight looks like, and instead they just make up shit that looks ridiculous.
Attacks that leave you wide open to counters and are risky as hell? Binding your sword against the enemy's so you can growl at him from four inches away despite the fact if either person tilted their blade even slightly the other person would topple? Doing grandiose spins that leave your back exposed? Aiming at the weapon instead of the person holding it? Damaging your blade edge by constantly smashing it against an opposing piece of hard steel? The magical ability to cut through plate armor with a two-pound thin bar of metal? Horrible footwork that leaves you unbalanced and extended? Not wearing a helmet? Not wearing any armor at all? Holding your hands forward while not wearing gauntlets or using a shield? Not using a shield properly? The list honestly goes on.
I want to see someone murder-strike a guy through the eye with a longsword crossguard at least once in my life.

tl;dr version: Movie swordfighting is as close to reality as WWE wrestling is to fist fighting.

The closest I can think of to a real fight in anime would be Seirei no Moribito.
This guy has the opinion that Maria the Virgin Witch has the most realistic medieval fighting of ALL media. I'd think that's a pretty solid recommendation, though I haven't watched it myself.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22397 on: May 05, 2015, 05:44:06 am »

Why do you people keep watching bad shows, then complaining about it? If stuff sucks, drop it like it's hot and never look back.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22398 on: May 05, 2015, 06:06:12 am »

Why do you people keep watching bad shows, then complaining about it? If stuff sucks, drop it like it's hot and never look back.

For me I have overactive investment.

If I watch a show for a few episodes I am hooked no matter how bad it becomes... or if there is one interesting character... or an interesting premise.

Like... you HAVE to know!

I find good shows harder to watch then bad ones... Because with bad ones you just have to watch it. With good ones you have to 'appreciate it'.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 06:08:03 am by Neonivek »

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22399 on: May 05, 2015, 06:11:24 am »

With PMMM, I had to wake up early to watch the final two episodes so I wouldn't have nightmares every time I daydreamed during class (having watched up to that point the previous night). It certainly didn't prevent them, but it would've been worse if I hadn't. I'd say that show had me "hooked" and it was definitely a good show.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22400 on: May 05, 2015, 06:29:44 am »

Ok... Uta No Prince Sama season 2 has kind of... stepped into unintentional HORRIFIC implications >_<

You know how the Carebears would often "Cure" people of being evil by using their powers on them?

Apparently in this anime there is a song that basically forces you to unite with everyone around you and be happy.

It is terrifying.

It is even weird because the magic mind screwing song even effects other people and completely alters their emotions, sometimes to the opposite of what it once was.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 06:35:18 am by Neonivek »

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22401 on: May 05, 2015, 06:34:35 am »

Anyone know any anime by name where one of the characters legitimately and unironically says, "I hope Senpai notices me"?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22402 on: May 05, 2015, 06:37:10 am »

Anyone know any anime by name where one of the characters legitimately and unironically says, "I hope Senpai notices me"?

In those EXACT words? I can't think of one at the top of my head.

It is a dang common plotline mind you. Heck I am watching an anime about dungeon diving and it has a "I hope senpai notices me!" plotline.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 07:10:49 am by Neonivek »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #22403 on: May 05, 2015, 07:14:47 am »

... what's it called?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22404 on: May 05, 2015, 07:55:57 am »

Flying Dice...

If you are going to find examples please find the real examples.
No, sorry. I just gave you examples of intent from both the LNs and the anime.

Just respect my view that she is a horrible abusive person because the anime doesn't pretend she isn't[citation needed]... I just don't find it funny and I especially do not find it sexy.

As well do not assume I am humorless because I don't find this funny. It is fully possible to like the Three Stooges and not ZnT. I hardly go after people who find Inuyasha (Kagome specifically from the show) abusive because "They didn't get the joke".

Again, if you'd read what I wrote, you'd know that I wasn't claiming that it was funny, but that it was trying to be funny. Once again, you're making claims based solely on what you think is going on without providing this thing called "proof". If you'd actually watched or read that scene, you would have known that it was entirely about the contextual joke; the sexual nature of the humor was incidental.

Also, you're ignoring the fact that gender norms exist in fiction, for better or for worse. If you genderflipped everyone in Negima (as one author did), peoples' perceptions of it would radically shift, with literally no changes except the genders of the characters. The guy who tried that genderflipped rewrite had to radically change a lot of material just to make it not come off as pedoshit. Your point falls flat because you're ignoring the fact that, regardless of what you think, the general audience and author of ZnT don't see it the same way. If that wasn't true, it wouldn't have been written that way, and it wouldn't have been popular with people with bad senses of humor.

Have you ever seen an anime where a female character is the pervert and/or rude asshole who is beat on by a fairly unrestrained male lead? No? That's because it's a genre convention when those roles are male/female respectively. I don't think it's funny, but it's not exactly difficult to notice or understand as trends in fiction go.

How about you respect my view that the Three Stooges are horrid unfunny bastards who do nothing but abuse each other for hours on end? Oh, look, we can both make spurious, unsupported, opinionated arguments!

I wouldn't particularly care if you'd said it once, because this fanon is shilled a lot, mostly among people who watched the anime once and read fanfiction with flanderized portrayals of Louise as a total psycho... but you do it every couple pages. Any excuse you have to bring it up, you do. I have zero desire to do so, but I wouldn't be surprised if you've made more posts complaining about your perception of what you remember of the show than you have total non-negative comments.

If you want to persist in pushing this, at least try to back it up instead of saying "Nuh uh your evidence doesn't count, and you need to respect my opinion even though I'm avoiding supporting it with anything from any source save my imagination!"

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22405 on: May 05, 2015, 10:36:22 am »

Hey guys, maybe cool it down a bit?
This seems to be heading toward slinging actual insults at each other, and that's the sort of thing people get banned over.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22406 on: May 05, 2015, 10:57:22 am »

For me I have overactive investment.
If I watch a show for a few episodes I am hooked no matter how bad it becomes... or if there is one interesting character... or an interesting premise.
Like... you HAVE to know!
I find good shows harder to watch then bad ones... Because with bad ones you just have to watch it. With good ones you have to 'appreciate it'.

Well, I used to be like that, so I can only tell you about how it was for me, but: try to get over that. Learn to just, well, let it be. There's too many really good books/shows/movies/comics/stories in this world to spend your time on something you don't like.

It's hard in the beginning, but you'll probably be better of for it.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22407 on: May 05, 2015, 02:27:50 pm »

Not wearing any armor at all?

A lot more common then you would think. In fact a lot of your complaints are not EXACTLY uncommon even in real sword fighting.

In fact there are a few sword strikes in real sword fighting that does involve "grandiose spins".

In particular I was speaking of battlefield swordfighting; I don't think any person who could afford a sword and the training to learn how to use it would decide to march/ride into a real battle with no armor.

As for spins, the only ones I can think of off-hand are ones used in Asian martial arts, and I really doubt you would start whirling it up like a Dervish while you have allies both behind and beside you, not to mention the fact that it takes your point (and/or shield) off line so any random guy could stick you with a spear.

In a civilian dueling situation, obviously the situation is different, most people would be wearing at most minimal protection and you have to adapt your style accordingly.

This guy has the opinion that Maria the Virgin Witch has the most realistic medieval fighting of ALL media. I'd think that's a pretty solid recommendation, though I haven't watched it myself.

I am both surprised that Skallagrim got mentioned in this thread, and that a show I had completely ignored due to looking like it was pandering nonsense actually happened to have realism like that, I am impressed. 'Might actually try and check it out (and probably get disappointed, who knows).

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22408 on: May 05, 2015, 03:29:39 pm »

Hey guys, maybe cool it down a bit?
This seems to be heading toward slinging actual insults at each other, and that's the sort of thing people get banned over.
Sorry if it came off like that. I'm not trying to insult Neonivek as a person -- and if you've taken it that way, Neo, I apologise -- but I'm pretty sick of this same intellectually dishonest line of argument being put forward over and over.

The series in question is a piece of good worldbuilding and potential ruined by a workmanlike author's crappy romcom/drama and sophomoric humor, but there's a distinct difference between hating a work for faults it possesses versus hating it for faults that you've made up or misremembered, and then being upset when other people don't adhere to the same reality that you've invented.

I imagine there's probably also someone out there who'd take issue with equating a one-off visual gag with a riding crop between two teenagers with BDSM play, but it's not me.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22409 on: May 05, 2015, 04:06:34 pm »

In those EXACT words? I can't think of one at the top of my head.

It is a dang common plotline mind you. Heck I am watching an anime about dungeon diving and it has a "I hope senpai notices me!" plotline.

It's actually an English-speaking otaku meme that spawned a few years ago. I researched it and couldn't find any trail back to a show.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/i-hope-senpai-will-notice-me
The first known occurence was on tumblr less that 3 years ago. Specifically dated 8th August, 2012 with "Has Senpai Noticed Me Yet?" which then mutated into the other forms. I'm unable to find and utterances combining "senpai" and "notice" prior to 2012, so I think this is legit.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 04:15:53 pm by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 1492 1493 [1494] 1495 1496 ... 2193