Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1467 1468 [1469] 1470 1471 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3085024 times)

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #22020 on: April 10, 2015, 04:26:04 am »

Anyone know if Macross is available on any (legal) streaming site? The only I've found are the Macross Plus and Macross 2 miniseries on Hulu, but I prefer to watch things in sequence. I haven't watched any of the "classic" shows (the few animes I've watched are from 2010 and later), and giant mechs saving mankind through the power of J-Pop seems like a decent starting point (specifically I saw this clip from Macross Frontier and was intrigued).

What I've actually watched recently is Barakamon and KanColle, since I had nothing else to do through easter. Barakamon was a great, fun watch with some sad undertones about the depopulation of the Japanese countryside. KanColle struck me as being pretty much Upotte without the shock value (no furiously masturbating finnish girl elf kalashnikov) and with a silly game premise. Somehow not a bad show though.

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22021 on: April 10, 2015, 05:18:10 am »

I watched Blade of the Immortal and found it a bit lacking (Does the dude have to die EVERY Episode?) and now I'm a bit starved for a good Samurai Anime. Can anyone help?
English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22022 on: April 10, 2015, 05:34:22 am »

Depends what you want from a Samurai anime. House of Five Leaves is good but has very little swordfighting, for instance.

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22023 on: April 10, 2015, 07:01:24 am »

I'd actually like a bit of action as well. It doesnt have to be Bleach-levels, but I really love me some good swordfighting. (ACTUAL swordfighting. I watched the first two Episodes of Samurai Kings recently. I thought you couldnt get worse than DBZ in terms of overdose, but appearantly I was very wrong.)

I'll check out House of Five Leaves out nonetheless. Thanks!
English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22024 on: April 10, 2015, 07:33:52 am »

I am just tired of animes where punches occur in the attack dimension so nothing affects anyone.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22025 on: April 10, 2015, 07:48:22 am »

I'd actually like a bit of action as well. It doesnt have to be Bleach-levels, but I really love me some good swordfighting. (ACTUAL swordfighting. I watched the first two Episodes of Samurai Kings recently. I thought you couldnt get worse than DBZ in terms of overdose, but appearantly I was very wrong.)

I'll check out House of Five Leaves out nonetheless. Thanks!
Battle of Gods has a lot more substance over style in terms of fighting than it used to. It's not just endlessly punching each-other forever interspersed with ki blasts, at least. Maybe you should check it out?

I am just tired of animes where punches occur in the attack dimension so nothing affects anyone.
Come again?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22026 on: April 10, 2015, 08:36:26 am »

Anyone know if Macross is available on any (legal) streaming site? The only I've found are the Macross Plus and Macross 2 miniseries on Hulu, but I prefer to watch things in sequence. I haven't watched any of the "classic" shows (the few animes I've watched are from 2010 and later), and giant mechs saving mankind through the power of J-Pop seems like a decent starting point (specifically I saw this clip from Macross Frontier and was intrigued).

What I've actually watched recently is Barakamon and KanColle, since I had nothing else to do through easter. Barakamon was a great, fun watch with some sad undertones about the depopulation of the Japanese countryside. KanColle struck me as being pretty much Upotte without the shock value (no furiously masturbating finnish girl elf kalashnikov) and with a silly game premise. Somehow not a bad show though.

If you liked Barakamon, I'd recommend Gekken Shoujo-Nozaki-kun and Gugure Kokkuri-san (it's the dude from Bakaramon basically doing 100% the same character...<_<). Yeah, and definitely Gin no Saji for another great fish-out-of-water country life anime.

KanColle was a lot like Strike Witches, but less of the fan-service.

As for Macross, there's a huge long-standing international copyright kerfuffle stopping it getting released like a normal show. You can buy it in some places but it's probably not going to be legally streamed on major services. Not for decades probably, now that major movie studios are paying money for the rights to make a movie series out of the bastardized American spin-off that's the source of the copyright issues.

Basically the situation for Macross is as if a Chinese company got the legal rights to make a Chinese dub and re-edit the 1977 Star Wars, then tried to demand that the agreement meant that the Chinese version is the only legal version in the world, and tied up Lucasfilms in the courts with ridiculous lawsuits to stop them selling any Star Wars movies worldwide. And then try and sell you Chinese-made low-budget "sequels". This is how Macross is basically faring, with all the American-made "Robotech" sequels being unadulterated filth.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 08:53:06 am by Reelya »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #22027 on: April 10, 2015, 09:14:08 am »

Hey, watch that last bit. The books are actually somewhat interesting. A few of them, anyway. Ones I've read have been fairly solid, not "unadulterated filth."
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22028 on: April 10, 2015, 09:39:23 am »

From some googling it seems like Hulu had the original series at least between 2010-2012 but I can't find it there anymore (unless they're hiding it through some geoblocking shit), so they did manage to get streaming rights, at least for a while.

Buying boxed copies looks to be hideously expensive, and I only buy those I've watched and enjoyed enough to not risk streaming services dropping the rights (which happens all too often). So far the only I've bought are Sound of the Sky and Angel Beats.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 09:42:56 am by olemars »

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
  • I coveted that wind, I suppose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22029 on: April 10, 2015, 10:58:09 am »

I watched Blade of the Immortal and found it a bit lacking (Does the dude have to die EVERY Episode?) and now I'm a bit starved for a good Samurai Anime. Can anyone help?
'

It isn't anime exactly, but if you want good samurai sword fighting watch Samurai Jack.
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
It's FEF, not FEOF

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22032 on: April 10, 2015, 03:12:14 pm »

In today's episode of Shokugeki No Soma:

Spoiler: our daily foodgasm (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: bonus old man (click to show/hide)

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22033 on: April 10, 2015, 03:37:37 pm »

Never seen/heard of this anime. But that old man, it makes me want to watch because I know he'll have cool monologues.

GENERATION 29:

DreamCarver

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels breath: Seeking infant.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22034 on: April 10, 2015, 04:09:24 pm »

First Koufuku, now this. I don't know how I'm going to make it to dinner. Fictional food just looks so AMAZING.

=====

Meanwhile in Nisekoi:World War Waifu: Season 2
ONODERA:Yaaay, we're finally back! Now I can get some screentime with Ichijo-ku-
CHITOGE: Nah, girl, sit down, first episode is mine.

Well, looks like it's gonna be another full season of cute status quo and hilarious faces. I'm pretty okay with this.
"Anything man can imagine is a possibility in reality."
Electrum, pedophilia, and necrophilia at the same time!?
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.
Pages: 1 ... 1467 1468 [1469] 1470 1471 ... 2193