Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1459 1460 [1461] 1462 1463 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3058365 times)

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #21900 on: April 02, 2015, 01:14:49 pm »

It isn't the length of the series but the variety of series you see.

If I listened to a 100 hour rap solo, I'd hardly consider myself a connoisseur of rap.
So you meant you have yet to see a show in the USA that could be confused for a genuine anime by people with a significant amount of experience with anime?
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21901 on: April 02, 2015, 01:15:52 pm »

Once again more then a tertiary glance.

As in more then 2 animes.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21902 on: April 02, 2015, 01:18:02 pm »

I'm sorry, but you're being very dismissive in the name of keeping your point together.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21903 on: April 02, 2015, 01:21:35 pm »

I'm sorry, but you're being very dismissive in the name of keeping your point together.

And your taking something I've said and then taking it to the absolute strictest literal meaning and then putting them side by side to say there is a contradiction.

As in no... I am not saying someone needs to be an expert in Anime in order to not be fooled into thinking Avatar is an anime. They just need to have watched more then two and no... it doesn't matter how many episodes those 2 animes are because it remains within the sphere of those two animes... when the themes you would understand in anime would need comparison to others rather than itself.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21904 on: April 02, 2015, 01:28:20 pm »

« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 03:27:21 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21905 on: April 02, 2015, 01:32:54 pm »

For sure, Avatar attempts to have a very anime style which still having its own (The way the character's chests are drawn is a very... western ideal... as well as the general way the characters are inked)

Mind you to me it is still "Western style" pretty undeniably but that is because I have enough experience in western animation that the animation tropes shine through even when it is imitating another.

Aang would look a lot less Jarring in the Justice League then he would in Hetalia.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 01:44:28 pm by Neonivek »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21906 on: April 02, 2015, 02:02:16 pm »

We notice certain patterns in Western RPGs (Open world games with less focus on strong narrative and more on a world narrative, Ala Tolkien)
And then we have JRPGs (Linear games with a heavy focus on a strong narrative with the world being more of a theme within that narrative, ala Shakespeare.
Dragon's Dogma was open world-ish (Ok, Dungeon crawler Dark Souls-ish), and it was so JRPG I had trouble speaking English afterwards.

You'll never see an assassin Hattori Hanzo, or a Rider Takeda Shingen, or a Saber Miyamoto Musashi.
I actually like the heroes they picked out aren't Japanese.
Out of the three examples you mentioned I've only heard of Miyamoto Musashi.
Woah. Miyamoto was actually the last of those names I ever heard about.
Takeda Shingen was actually the first, and that's because he's like, the big bad badass on horseback in pretty much every historical Japanese whatever.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #21907 on: April 02, 2015, 02:19:30 pm »

« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 02:55:01 pm by penguinofhonor »

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #21908 on: April 02, 2015, 02:38:38 pm »

It was about when Arrested Development came out that things started to change. That was very unusual at the time both for the ongoing plotlines and the lack of a laugh-track. Back then the laugh track was a strict genre signifier: no laughter robots = drama, laughter robots = comedy. It was so universal, that even though I've seen a huge proportion of the US comedy shows dating back to the 50's and 60's, Arrested Development freaked me out because it didn't have a laugh track. This just wasn't done at all before it since the dawn of television. You had to have the laugh track (and episodic plots). Arrested Development changed all of that, so it's only really been 10 years since this sort of comedy has been acceptable on American TV.
This is from a couple of days ago and not really relevant to anything, but I want to mention that Arrested Development's setup wasn't completely new, other than the on-going plotlines. Scrubs and Malcolm in the Middle both had no laugh tracks and single-camera setups like Arrested Development two and three years (respectively) before it first aired. And there were others like them before that (though not a lot that I personally saw or would consider good), though I think it was only the early 2000's when that style started catching on.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21909 on: April 02, 2015, 02:47:16 pm »

Scrubs replaced laugh tracks with honky 'Bawaaaw' guitar riffs though, so not sure if counts.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21910 on: April 02, 2015, 02:54:10 pm »

Did you watch Avatar a bit first?

Because Sokka's excessive use of Sarcasm should have given it away. Or the fact that Kitara never hit her brother.

The best anime to watch to understand what makes an anime and anime is probably Valkyria Chronicles

Not because it is good but because it is so extremely paint by numbers that it gives you a general outline.

When my friend told me to watch Avatar, I asked him where I could find a good sub. I might just be dumb, but I'd seen at least 4-5 animes then.

Whatever bar you choose (length of animes, number of different animes) to me your point seems to me to be "It's not possible for people to confuse these two things if they know enough about them to not be confused." which is not a real argument.

Naw I am probably just so well versed that I've long since forgotten what it is like for anyone who hasn't watched 20.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 03:02:18 pm by Neonivek »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #21911 on: April 02, 2015, 03:03:19 pm »

Valkyria Chronicles is also an anime?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21912 on: April 02, 2015, 03:04:08 pm »

Valkyria Chronicles is also an anime?

They made it into an anime.

I DO NOT suggest watching it if you played the game. It is by far the most disappointing thing I ever seen in my life.

I don't want to spoil it, but suffice it to say they sap everything you liked about the game, its story, its characters... and makes it so paint by numbers anime you will sometimes forget you are watching Valkyria Chronicles.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 03:06:08 pm by Neonivek »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #21913 on: April 02, 2015, 03:06:30 pm »

I'll avoid it then.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #21914 on: April 02, 2015, 03:16:53 pm »

EDIT: Scratch that.  Not getting into the descriptive/proscriptive pissing match. 

Oh, but since we're doing that thing, I'll just say that I really hate people who say they won't get into the match while taking a disingenuous swipe at a strawman of one particular side of the match. 
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 03:18:47 pm by Culise »
Pages: 1 ... 1459 1460 [1461] 1462 1463 ... 2193