Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1437 1438 [1439] 1440 1441 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3061658 times)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #21570 on: March 16, 2015, 07:53:59 am »

* Zangi likes Claymore and found No Game No Life entertaining.

* Zangi feels the need to interject his like/acceptance of certain series after someone expresses their dislike.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21571 on: March 16, 2015, 08:22:19 am »

I hate Neon Genesis Evangelion (every single iteration) and Gundam (with exactly two exceptions, I actually like SEED, and I loved 0080: war in the pocket) with every fiber of my soul.  I hate nearly every anime released since around 2004.  I HATE highschool dramas, especially when mindlessly injected into other concepts like mecha anime (I like SEED because the high school portion of the kids' lives gets dropped like a rock as soon as the fighting starts).  I like original (so fucking rare) and interesting takes on stories, so it takes a great deal to impress me.  I truly effing hate the current move in anime to make everything as dark and pointless as possible.  As stupidly cheesy as it sounds, I like the old over-the-top anime like Cyborg Soldier 009, Voltron, Beast King Golion (Voltron in America), Kikaider, and so very many others that actually tried to do something interesting.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21572 on: March 16, 2015, 09:27:26 am »

I like SEED because the high school portion of the kids' lives gets dropped like a rock as soon as the fighting starts.

Huh? Did we watch different Gundam SEEDs or something? Because I remember trying to watch it and it was full of stupid high school drama even after the fighting started. Unless the cut-off point was sometime after the Archangel returned to Earth? Because I stopped watching before that point since I hated the pacing. 10 minutes of action interspaced with 30 minutes of Kira angsting, Flay being a bitch Go jump off a building, Flay, and Alton/whateverhisnameis being an idiot got old very quickly.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #21573 on: March 16, 2015, 09:45:49 am »

I definitely don't like NGE because it tries so damn hard to be deep and yet fails to be so, instead just throwing symbolism all over the place and trying to let the viewer piece together something out of the mess.

It also subordinates the setting, atmosphere, and to a lesser extent the characters to the plot, something I really dislike in any work of fiction, though this is entirely subjective. Basically every work of fiction that I greatly love either focuses on developing a well realized and gripping atmosphere/setting (Deus Ex, Looper, STALKER) or interesting and dynamic characters (Katanagatari, a few others that escape my mind at the moment), and then the plot follows from the development of the setting or the characters. NGE, meanwhile, has a setting that is largely undeveloped and a plot that is more or less an extended character study, except the characters are flat and uninteresting as all hell, and the plot doesn't smoothly follow from character motivations or the setting. I think a lot of the love it gets is for being a grimdark Anime back in the days when the tendency was to make relatively straightforward and more upbeat shows (with exceptions like Victory Gundam) if they weren't cheap, brainless gorefests.

Hell, while we're on the subject, I'll briefly go over a few shows that I've seen that I've wanted to bitch about for a while, but haven't had an excuse:

Spoiler: Soukou no Strain (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Shakugan no Shana (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 01:12:02 pm by GreatJustice »
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21574 on: March 16, 2015, 10:32:16 am »

When I talk about high school drama, I am not talking about basic teenage drama, I am specifically talking about shit that deals with fucking high school.  Flay being fucked in the head?  Okay there is justification for this.  Stupid female lead worrying about her grades?  Fuck you unimaginative douchebag writer, I've had to sit through this garbage more times than I can imagine.  Kira not knowing how to interact with people and raging at things out of his control?  Makes sense, he just had his entire life torn up and got dragooned into being the hero.  Boring male lead hates his boring life and skips class?  Now you're just fucking insulting me.  SEED had human drama, it wasn't tied to a single place or community.  Even Bleach manages to easily escape the high school garbage, but the vast majority of modern anime is completely mindlessly tied to high school and the total bullshit of that setting (even more bullshit in Japan than in the U.S.).

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21575 on: March 16, 2015, 10:43:38 am »

*listens to mecha peasants squabble while watching massive missile spams*

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #21576 on: March 16, 2015, 10:43:54 am »

As far as I'm awarepretty much every Gundam drops that or doesn't have it in the first place save for maybe AGE? Infact, SEED is known for being the most soap opera-ey of them...

...and uh it kinda steals half its plot from the original show.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 10:49:28 am by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21577 on: March 16, 2015, 10:46:09 am »

All Macross after plus may burn in hell.  I am coming for you Nekki Basara, and then I'm going to burn Alto and alternate Fokker to the ground.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21578 on: March 16, 2015, 10:50:04 am »

All Macross after plus may burn in hell.  I am coming for you Nekki Basara, and then I'm going to burn Alto and alternate Fokker to the ground.
Zero was actually decent to watch but I swear to god I hear Totsugeki Love Heart one more fucking time.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21579 on: March 16, 2015, 10:52:34 am »

Furtaka: I think you misunderstood my post, the comment about high school garbage was not directed at NGE or Gundam directly, it was pointed at Anime as a whole.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21580 on: March 16, 2015, 10:53:13 am »

The only Gundam I have ever watched and will ever watch was 00.
I'm not a big mecha fan, and I think that's because of the trope they're seeming to form which is 'Big Metal Suit- BIG HUMAN FEELINGS'. Basically they seem to overreact to every bad thing in their life and go completely Shinji. I just can't handle that crap. When I see it I want to slap the characters silly, and that is physically impossible, besides taking the metaphorical path and decking the mangaka.

Eureka Seven was the last one of those tropes I watched and I got about halfway through before I literally couldn't take it anymore.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21581 on: March 16, 2015, 10:57:14 am »

Try Dai-Guard, it doesn't even try to deal with anything serious until the very last episodes, and those are well paced and aren't mega-angst.  The real problem is that since NGE came out and was so wildly popular, the majority of mecha-anime try to emulate it.

Caveat: It is mostly a comedy, tho' it does touch on actual characterization in a few episodes.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 10:59:45 am by NullForceOmega »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21582 on: March 16, 2015, 12:48:39 pm »

Their protagonist is such an overblown caricature of the typical mecha protagonist.
The mecha protagonists I have known range from Shinji and Renton Thurston to Setsuna F. Seiei.
So which is the 'Typical'?
Just out of that selection:
1. Emotional incompetent, most of whose friends are female, taken from his home to fight a hopeless battle against incredibly advanced invaders from beyond Earth.

2. Unlikable asshole. (I'm being lazy here, because this applies to a whole lot of them.)

3. Supernaturally competent kid doing better at the 'war thing' than trained soldiers.

More than that, though, I was going for the specific angle of: Unflinching hypercompetent chessmaster who can turn any situation to his advantage with trivial ease who is also outwardly emotionless and aloof, constantly saving the day while trained mooks rush in and die and his friends follow just slowly enough for him to save them, who has a rival-slash-friend on the other side of the war who may or may not be competing with him over the heart of a/the primary girl. Also is a teenaged boy.

At least half of that will cover a whole lot of characters. The series as a whole is a perfect storm of character tropes and turning points in the plot.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21583 on: March 16, 2015, 01:08:04 pm »

More than that, though, I was going for the specific angle of: Unflinching hypercompetent chessmaster who can turn any situation to his advantage with trivial ease who is also outwardly emotionless and aloof, constantly saving the day while trained mooks rush in and die and his friends follow just slowly enough for him to save them, who has a rival-slash-friend on the other side of the war who may or may not be competing with him over the heart of a/the primary girl. Also is a teenaged boy.
Yeah I enjoyed Code Geass too.

aenri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21584 on: March 16, 2015, 02:10:30 pm »

snip
Good list, but needs a few fixes:
Cowboy Bebop, Evangelion, Great Teacher Onizuka(read the manga), Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu, School Rumble, Full Metal Panic!, Azumanga Daioh(read the manga), FLCL, Juuni Kokki, Planetes(read the manga).

Oh yes, by all means manga is better (to waaay better) or just longer for many of these shows. Most of them have longass manga, so the standard 26 season episodes can't contain the whole of it.
And also
Full Metal Panic! =/= manga
Pages: 1 ... 1437 1438 [1439] 1440 1441 ... 2193