Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1433 1434 [1435] 1436 1437 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3058786 times)

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #21510 on: March 12, 2015, 08:19:35 pm »

Cowboy Bebop and Champloo are both classics you should definitely watch.

Other than that, I don't quite know what you guys are interested in.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #21511 on: March 12, 2015, 08:54:54 pm »

Hmm...

I need some suggestions for anime to watch, since I appear to have run out.

List of Anime I have watched:
Sword Art Online (First Arc only)
The Devil is a Part-Timer
Log Horizon Seasons 1 and 2 (although season 2 is still ongoing)

I'm really not sure what to watch at this point, but I'll take a look at any suggestions I'm given.
Go watch Sword Art Online Season 2 (toughing it out through the remainder of season 1 is optional, it's not too important but it does allow for some character developments you might want to know about later). You can skip the mini-arc about excalibur if you want in Season 2, but make sure to watch both the GGO and Mother's Rosario arcs.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #21512 on: March 12, 2015, 11:19:12 pm »

THE TOMINO-ING CONTINUES

HE WAS SUPPOSE TO BE HAPPY

HE WAS SUPPOSE TO BE HAAAAAAAAAPPY

Spoiler: Today's G-Reco (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 11:37:04 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #21513 on: March 13, 2015, 01:22:33 am »

Always a cheerful one to watch to add to the list, full of alternate reality shenanigans:
Now and Then, Here and There

There's also the classic Akira.

But on a more serious note, always a good movie to watch is The Princess and the Pilot. I actually want to watch it again.

You can always try and pull up some Lupin III (My first anime) for some good laughs. Monster and Moribito was also pretty decent. I've been meaning to watch Outlaw Star; I heard that was pretty good. Space Dandy has it's share of crazy awesome. S-CRY-Ed was okay, I guess. Spice and Wolf is always a good one to watch through, as well as Big O. Trigun was also pretty fun to watch. I remember Casshern Sins had it's moments.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 01:44:56 am by Itnetlolor »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #21514 on: March 13, 2015, 04:09:49 am »

So I've been trying to track down an anime (or possibly a manga) that I started a long time back and can't find again. Here's basically what I remember about it.
Things I'm sure were in it:
1) People had some sort of super power/supernatural powers.
2) (This is the only one I'm 100% sure was in it) Speaking a specific word (which I think was the name of the anime/manga) would cause people to develop new powers.
3) There also might have been some sort of magic crystal? (Might be related to the speaking a specific word thing). Not 100% sure on that.

Sorry for being so vague, I found out about it a handful of years ago through a combination of tvtropes and wikipedia, and enough has changed on both of those that I can't seem to track it down again. Anyone have any ideas?

Damnit, I spend hours searching for this and somebody mentions the answer in the post right above the one where I ask for help! XD It was s-CRY-ed. :P
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 04:12:53 am by i2amroy »
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21515 on: March 13, 2015, 04:18:05 am »

Always a cheerful one to watch to add to the list, full of alternate reality shenanigans:
Now and Then, Here and There

There's also the classic Akira.

But on a more serious note, always a good movie to watch is The Princess and the Pilot. I actually want to watch it again.

Speaking of movies, Patema Inverted was good. It's by the guy behind Eve No Jikan and Pale Cocoon. It's a bit more of a straightforward adventure thing, though it does explore some concepts he's touched on before.

Ame and Yuki: The Wolf Children is also really good, my favorite film by Mamoru Hosoda who also made The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, and Summer Wars (which didn't really click for me).

And I just watched The Sky Crawlers by Mamoru Oshii. It was slow, psychological and brooding, but with great style and great fast-paced action sequences when needed. People might be dissappointed if they go into it expecting constant action, but I enjoyed it a lot since I knew what to expect from seeing his older movies like Jin Roh: The Wolf Brigade.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #21516 on: March 13, 2015, 04:29:49 am »

Assassination Classroom Wooooo!
Seriously, shit is surprisingly good, it involves an evil being that has a top speed of mach 20, has a vulnerability to some green plastic that is easily constructed, who already obliterated about 70% of the moon making it a crescent and is planning to do the same to earth in exactly one years time, however, he asked to be made a teacher, and a bounty for 10 billion yen is to be given out on his death to whoever killed him.

Also he's like a grinning humanoid octopus chameleon thing who is a really good teacher, I mean, he's still going to destroy the earth, but he's a really good teacher.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21517 on: March 13, 2015, 08:14:52 am »

I've been meaning to watch Outlaw Star; I heard that was pretty good.
Don't rush yourself to start it, but don't avoid it either. It's good, campy fun and doesn't show its age very often, and the plot... isn't mindbogglingly original, but it and the setting are unique enough to hold interest. The cast is varied, mostly likeable, and play off each other well. In some respects it's sort of like Cowboy Bebop if it had the balance of funny and drama reversed. The opening is S-class quality, too.

It's worth watching for the grappling-arm spaceships if nothing else appeals to you.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #21518 on: March 13, 2015, 08:50:57 am »

So, my school runs a anime club. This month we are going to watch Neon Genesis Evangelion, is it any good? Can you guys also give me some suggestions for any anime we could watch after this?
Kill la Kill. :D

I would regret nothing.

I'm really not sure what to watch at this point, but I'll take a look at any suggestions I'm given.
I tend to find being hurled names with no explanation profoundly unhelpful, so I'm going to go ahead and pitch some of the ideas I'm familiar with. Letting us know what you liked or disliked about what you have seen could also help.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure is bizarre, manly, bizarre, and awesome. It's largely about very muscular men punching each other while weird shit goes down. It's worth noting that the series is very long, and each arc does differ from the others somewhat. It's always an action and adventure anime, but precisely what's going on and why varies pretty wildly. As a result of all of that, opinions differ as to how good each section is.

Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic is a magical adventure thingy with semi-preachy overtones and some dark as hell shit lurking around the corner. I'm not sure I could call it exceptional, but if you liked SAO I feel confident recommending it to you as another magical adventure thingy.

Kill La Kill is pure awesome. It has a lot of fanservice in it. It has a lot of action in it. It has a LOT of awesome psychotic characters in it. I would highly recommend watching the opening scene of the first episode, and if somehow that doesn't pique your interest I guess you've outed yourself as a soulless morlock and can stop pretending to like things.

But really, it's amazing.

Gurren Lagann is the series you usually hear gushing rants like the above about; it's famous for never, ever stopping on its rocket ride over the top, and has some interesting things happening in the meantime (not surprisingly, Kill La Kill is sometimes referred to as "Gurren Lagann-like"). That said, I liked the first half a lot better than the second. Even so, I'd recommend it if you're looking for something that manages, in my opinion, to understand the difference between "epic" and "large," and successfully achieve the former.

I didn't get Panty&Stocking. It just looked like a children's cartoon that had the balls to do things adults normally don't want in children's cartoons.

Fullmetal Alchemist (":Brotherhood" is the closer-to-the-manga remake, and is generally considered better) is another one of those "this is an anime" type things I feel reasonably comfortable recommending to people who have liked... I don't want to say "bland," but anime that I'm not seeing a particular pattern with. It has wizards! Soldier-wizards, some of whom may be children. Children who have... haha, but that's not important. Everything is fine and happy.

(It gets a little dark, but that's a good thing.)

Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo are both by the same studio, so if you like one you'll probably like the other. I liked Samurai Champloo more than Bebop, but I'm not sure if I could tell you why.

Bebop is about a bounty hunter crew. They are... not entirely friends. They are not very professional. Half of them aren't even adult humans. It does dark humor pretty well.

Champloo is about a ronin, a bandit, and a waitress butchering people who get in their way. It's not that they're bad people, per se, it's just that they leave a trail of bodies wherever they go.

Has the best fight scenes I've ever seen in an anime, ever.* Despite the above, the main characters are likeable, just not... heroes, exactly.
*Actually, I've seen an impressive gif from the new Fate anime, but I've not watched it yet.

Afro Samurai is a bloody, gory, short anime in the style of Samurai Champloo. If you like Samurai Champloo, consider Afro Samurai. If you don't... perhaps not. Despite being mostly a gorefest, it does have a plot, and it's stylistic as all hell. Definitely artsy on top of its carnage.

Hellsing (":Ultimate" is, similar to Brotherhood for FMA, the more faithful, generally better remake) is another gorefest. Watch horrible things savage each other and innocent civilians! Good for neat creatures and decent vampires, although it does suffer from some problems owing to being a bloodfest.

Outlaw Star was alright, but I'm not much of a fan. The plot was kind of pointless, I didn't find the characters likeable, and a lot of the neater setting stuff wasn't explored very well. Still, it has space magic, and everyone likes space magic.

Oh! Little Witch Academia is something like 25 minutes long, and involves cute witches. Go watch it! There's action.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21519 on: March 13, 2015, 09:01:36 am »

IronyOwl: well, let me see, what have I liked about the animes I've seen so far...

I really enjoy romantic subplots that are done well, but I'm not as fond of romance arcs.
While I do enjoy comedy, I like Log Horizon because it takes itself a little more seriously than, say, SAO.  To be fair, though, The Devil is a Part-Timer is hilarious, and I like that one mostly because of comedy.
I don't really care about fanservice, so that's not really a redeeming characteristic of an anime.
I like having at least one character I can relate to in the anime, so unrelatable characters is a big minus.

Beyond that, I don't really know.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #21520 on: March 13, 2015, 09:05:21 am »

IO mentions Afro Samurai and doesn't mention that delicious Samuel L. Jackson voice acting. Shame, Ferrousbird. Shame.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21521 on: March 13, 2015, 09:14:50 am »

For the anime club guy: watch the BlackJack OVA.

It's thrilling and awesome like you wouldn't think an anime about a surgeon would be.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21522 on: March 13, 2015, 12:00:17 pm »

Oh yeah, Little Witch Academia would be a great pick.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #21523 on: March 13, 2015, 01:29:43 pm »

Oh yeah, Little Witch Academia would be a great pick.
The term "Little Witch" reminded me of "Kiki's Delivery Service." That would also probably be good for an anime club. Probably be more appropriate than KLK or Evangelion.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21524 on: March 13, 2015, 06:58:37 pm »

Really you could recommend absolutely anything whatsoever that was made by Hayao Miyazaki and/or Studio Ghibli, as there is not a single bad pick in their repertoire. It just feels lazy to do that though, as it seems like such an obvious answer.

Future Boy Conan is my favorite from Mr. Hayao, though.
Pages: 1 ... 1433 1434 [1435] 1436 1437 ... 2193