Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1424 1425 [1426] 1427 1428 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3060209 times)

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #21375 on: March 01, 2015, 09:48:13 pm »

Zone of the Enders would like to have a word with you :V
It can talk to the oversized heat axe I've strapped to my mecha crotch.
I think they have you beat when it comes to mecha crotches as well :V
It's FEF, not FEOF

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #21376 on: March 01, 2015, 09:52:45 pm »

... they're talking to the vigorously thrusting crotch axe, not the enlarged mechanical phallus euphemism.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #21377 on: March 01, 2015, 09:54:53 pm »

Close enough :P

BTW new SRW PV
It's FEF, not FEOF

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #21378 on: March 01, 2015, 09:58:43 pm »

Huzzah!

Frumple pretty much always approves of what is probably the longest and most prolific piece of crossover fanfiction the world has ever seen~

E: Though what's that one from around 8:50 from?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 10:08:32 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #21379 on: March 01, 2015, 10:10:59 pm »

That's Genion, the Z3.1 Banpresto Original :P

On that note, Anyone know where the mech with the "buster sword" and the cool angel wings at around 10:30 is from?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 10:18:04 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #21380 on: March 01, 2015, 10:32:04 pm »

Started Macross Frontier on a whim, and by "whim" I mean that it's been sitting on my computer for years and I finally decided to punch up what was left of the Macross series on the secondary monitor due to it being a mecha classic.  First episode...well, let's say the only reason I continued is because I've been assured that the series is supposed to live up to the original, and because I recognized the OP as having been sung by my favorite singer.  Really, the first episode reminds me of the time a friend recommended Hanasaku Iroha to me, in which my response was "hit episode 3, and what the heck did you recommend to me?"

So far, about the best I can say is that the "pineapple cake" incident in this series was actually amusing by contrast to the original series, which isn't saying much since the original series tried to play it as dramatic.  On the other hand, the series has definitely ramped up the fanservice to ridiculous degrees, which is a huge minus.  A decent plot might make me overlook that, but incidents like the handling of the coup attempt (which were pretty...unintelligent) make me wonder how well the main plot will be handled now that I'm up to the last few episodes. 

Basically...I've not been impressed at all.  Cute little shout-outs to past shows, but the reliance on fanservice makes me wonder if they knew they'd have to use that instead of story to draw otaku in (and I suppose, strictly speaking, those "cute little shout-outs" would also be considered fanservice of a non-sexualized sort), certain key elements of the plot doesn't seem to have been well thought-out.  It does seem to play the power of music and love triangle story elements traditional in Macross, along with the non-evil adversaries if the little hints about the Vajra so far are carried through, and I still have five episodes left, but we'll see how it goes. 

Alright, now, that little bit of foolishness aside, new mecha shows?  Let's see...

1. I actually like the mecha designs here, but that's because it's rather novel compared to more staid designs.  Yes, cars with arms, but the show looks like it's trying to be Initial D (at least, as far as I know about that show from old AMVs; sorry if Initial D doesn't actually stay about racing all the way through) with mechs, so it's actually kinda cute.  That said, a simple cover on the back, or even a seat belt would be enough to prevent blatant foolishness like that bit where one person gets knocked out of their mech just by getting sideswiped.  Character designs are...very anime, and rather uninspired: generic shounen protagonist, big-breasted female lead/romantic interest whose art direction suggests she was thrown in as a R34 magnet, and cocky secondary male lead.  It depends more on how they play it out

2. I'm pretty sure I saw this back when it was called Fafner in the Azure (but only because I haven't seen Eva or Aquarion).  Generic generic is generic.  That isn't to say it would be bad automatically, but when you're retreading basic plots, the bar for a successful execution tends to go up quite a bit. 

3. I'm probably not qualified to speak much on this, so I won't; I strongly prefer the real sub-genre to super sub-genre.  That said, generic protagonist with chuunibyo who secretly was a hero but had a mysterious (and likely plot-relevant) case of amnesia - whoo, boy, the changeling fantasy is strong with this one.  Expect special snowflake syndrome out the wazoo when this is your entire character précis, though I suppose it says something about their target audience. 

4. Hmmm, I actually like the designs.  Including the lack of feet.  Generic falling into cockpit start (hey, it works to give an excuse for audience info-dumps since your protagonist is getting it dumped on her as well).  Also, 50/50 on the big plot-twist (that we're all supposed to treat as surprising) being either that the attackers were responsible for the fall of civilization or that the attackers are actually humans as well forgotten due to the fall of civilization.  Or both, given some of the scenes. 

5. Sounds like the writers realized they could cut out the middleman, since a lot of people watch just for the suits, and make the mecha the main characters outright.  That is actually amusing enough to make this my primary vote, and the designs don't look half bad. 

EDIT:
That's Genion, the Z3.1 Banpresto Original :P

On that note, Anyone know where the mech with the "buster sword" and the cool angel wings at around 10:30 is from?
I can't really get a good look at the suit, but from the pilot's name (and lovely sideburns) and the choice of weapon, I'm pretty sure that's from Diebuster.  Nicola Vacheron, piloting Buster Machine Vingt-Sept
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 10:36:59 pm by Culise »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #21381 on: March 01, 2015, 10:46:49 pm »

Google definitely agrees with that last bit.

... I really need to get around to watching the buster stuff at some point.
Ask not!
Ask!

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21382 on: March 01, 2015, 11:05:11 pm »

snip

I hated Frontier out of all the Macross shows. I missed my giant robot battles and missile spam, sure it had some but it was degenerated into CGI that was even worse than Macross Zero. The love triangle even got more annoying since their plot consist of "just do the opposite decisions from Super Dimension". I like Ranka and despise Sheryl for their character development. Also, TRIGANGLE WAS NEVER RESOLVED.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #21383 on: March 01, 2015, 11:08:13 pm »

It's resolved in the Macross Frontier movies apparently :P
It's FEF, not FEOF

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21384 on: March 02, 2015, 01:21:12 am »

Magi is managing to solidify the trope that Mangaka do Not enjoy drawing feet.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21385 on: March 02, 2015, 02:09:29 am »

Toes are fuckin' weird, yo.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21386 on: March 02, 2015, 05:06:24 am »

It's resolved in the Macross Frontier movies apparently :P

I reasonably enjoyed the show but despised those movies.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21387 on: March 02, 2015, 08:38:58 am »

"I am going to respect your wishes for personal space"

WHAT THE HECK am I watching?

Respecting other people's personal space just because they said no? Don't they know how to properly anime? You have to FORCE yourself on people all the time ESPECIALLY when they say no.

In fact you need to keep doing it on and on and on and on until it becomes your character trait. THAT is how you properly anime.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 08:57:55 am by Neonivek »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21388 on: March 03, 2015, 12:42:22 am »

Dang. Anime goes PC.

In other news, now that I realized I was inadvertently watching the second season of Chuunibyou and went back to the first one, it all kinda cleared up.
Also does ok with the feels.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21389 on: March 03, 2015, 06:00:04 am »

Here is an odd question

Have you ever wanted a Harem or Live Triangle to resolve... Not because it is tired and trite

But rather because you want to see at least one of the relationships develop instead of staying friend and never advancing because then they would have to actually get outright romantic?
Pages: 1 ... 1424 1425 [1426] 1427 1428 ... 2193