Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1410 1411 [1412] 1413 1414 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3066981 times)

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #21165 on: February 10, 2015, 01:38:06 pm »

...Neo, you do realize that Haruhi is fundamentally god in that universe, right?  After carefully dissecting the episodes and the manga (don't know about the light novel, haven't seen it anywhere), the whole story is seems to be about Haruhi destroying and re-creating reality for Kyon (for some reason, could be that she's in love with him, could be that she's trying to help him, can't really sort it out in my own head).  If she didn't create that people Kyon interacts with then she certainly has re-purposed them (several times).  Not that this in any way justifies her actions.
How do you justify the actions of a character who basically rewrites reality with her slightest whims?
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21166 on: February 10, 2015, 01:46:39 pm »

...Neo, you do realize that Haruhi is fundamentally god in that universe, right?

She does so subconsciously. Also yes I am perfectly aware of this.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

HECK Kyon could be her personal creation, rather then one that just happens... But I doubt it given that Kyon is both the main character and the viewpoint character.

Heck my theory for the longest time, and the one that makes the most sense, is that Kyon is truly the god of the universe. It is surprising how much of the narrative still makes sense if you think of it from that viewpoint. How many characters change and shift because Kyon desires it even down to fundamental changes in their character.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 01:50:01 pm by Neonivek »

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21167 on: February 10, 2015, 01:50:23 pm »

How do you justify the actions of a character who basically rewrites reality with her slightest whims?
You don't.  A 'God' is only beholden to themself.  But, if you can slay such a thing, it ain't a 'God' anymore, just a really powerful/influential final bossdictator.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 01:52:41 pm by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21168 on: February 10, 2015, 01:53:00 pm »

You don't.  A 'God' is only beholden to themself.  But, if you can slay such a thing, it ain't a 'God' anymore, just a really powerful/influential final bossdictator.

Ignoring the obvious "you can slay gods in pretty much all mythologies and that viewpoint is very Abrahamic", funny you should say that... because

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21169 on: February 10, 2015, 05:39:07 pm »

...Neo, you do realize that Haruhi is fundamentally god in that universe, right?

She does so subconsciously. Also yes I am perfectly aware of this.

HECK Kyon could be her personal creation, rather then one that just happens... But I doubt it given that Kyon is both the main character and the viewpoint character.

Heck my theory for the longest time, and the one that makes the most sense, is that Kyon is truly the god of the universe. It is surprising how much of the narrative still makes sense if you think of it from that viewpoint. How many characters change and shift because Kyon desires it even down to fundamental changes in their character.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #21170 on: February 10, 2015, 09:37:01 pm »

Finally I have 100% finished Legend of The Galactic Heroes; now for nothing to ever reach the same level.
It may be influenced by a lot of things (Foundation, Star Wars, ect), but it's a compelling narrative nonetheless.
I wonder if the remake will be good.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21171 on: February 10, 2015, 09:50:40 pm »

Wait I've been talked into watching another bad anime NOOO!!!

You really talked yourself into it :/

Instead of He is My Master, try watching the OVA Mitsu x Mitsu Drops. That's only 1 hour and fairly abusive. Amusing on the meta level for having one of the most implausibly abusive school set ups ever.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 09:52:47 pm by Reelya »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21172 on: February 10, 2015, 10:24:06 pm »

Instead of He is My Master, try watching the OVA Mitsu x Mitsu Drops. That's only 1 hour and fairly abusive. Amusing on the meta level for having one of the most implausibly abusive school set ups ever.
Oh, now this I've got to hear.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Mattk50

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21173 on: February 10, 2015, 10:24:48 pm »

This isn't really anime, but i just watched Tokyo Gore School on crunchyroll with a friend after we stumbled on it.

5/5 Im surprised this isnt more popular.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 10:31:24 pm by Mattk50 »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21174 on: February 10, 2015, 10:26:49 pm »

Oh, now this I've got to hear.

Instead of scholarships, the school has the "honey system" that effectively turns poor girls into a virtual slave for the rich boys at the school. This is a shoujo manga though. Rapey dude molests girl in public, school approves apparently. Girl of course falls for his manly public molestation ways. After all he's just expressing his deep love, when he belittles her and gropes her genitals in front of half the school.

The girls, refered to as "honeys", cannot disobey their master in any matter, lest they be expelled. Also, every boy must have the name of a flower in their last name to be allowed to have a "honey". This last bit is the most improbable.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 10:59:27 pm by Reelya »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21175 on: February 10, 2015, 10:38:04 pm »

I-

Wha-

No, that doesn-

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #21176 on: February 10, 2015, 11:00:30 pm »

I-

Wha-

No, that doesn-
C-c-c-c CRITICAL HIT!
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #21177 on: February 10, 2015, 11:01:18 pm »

Shoujo manga is a world all its very own, FD. It's where you turn if you want to see some really goddamn weird stuff played disturbingly straight.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #21178 on: February 10, 2015, 11:06:40 pm »

The fact that it's shoujo, which is supposed to be aimed at girls as a target audience, and its message is basically molestation/abuse==love does not sit well with me. That just seems off.

This isn't really anime, but i just watched Tokyo Gore School on crunchyroll with a friend after we stumbled on it.

5/5 Im surprised this isnt more popular.
woah, crunchyroll has stuff that isn't anime.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21179 on: February 10, 2015, 11:15:17 pm »

50 Shades of Grey, manga edition.
Pages: 1 ... 1410 1411 [1412] 1413 1414 ... 2193