Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1400 1401 [1402] 1403 1404 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3066092 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #21015 on: January 29, 2015, 08:35:12 pm »

Some of the SD stuff -- particularly the brave series -- was pretty solidly super too, I'd say. What I watched of it, anyway.

... sort of.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #21016 on: January 29, 2015, 08:36:18 pm »

The Brave Series isn't gundam, its the franchise GaoGaiGar is from :P
It's FEF, not FEOF

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #21017 on: January 29, 2015, 08:38:26 pm »

Not that. This. I know if I try to spell out the s part of the title it's going come out as sengoku, so I'm not even going to try.
Ask not!
Ask!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21018 on: January 29, 2015, 08:39:58 pm »

The Brave series was fairly recent though, 1990+, and a spin-off from Transformers.

Tryon 3 is harking back to the late 70's / early 80's combining super robot anime that were common like Golion/Voltron. Brave etc were part of the super robot revival of the 1990's. Part of the reason that occured was because TV stations started running a lot of 70's anime reruns due to the Japanese late 80's economic crisis, thus introducing young people to a lot of forgotten shows. Those shows had originally died out due to the rise of more realistic mecha / sci-fi shows like Gundam, Macross, Votoms etc.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 08:47:02 pm by Reelya »

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21019 on: January 29, 2015, 08:49:22 pm »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #21020 on: January 30, 2015, 12:13:26 am »

Jesus christ is it Escaflowne.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #21021 on: January 30, 2015, 12:14:46 am »

No catgirls or molepeople, nor awesome organ pub music. I can safely say it's not escaflowne.

... though that reminds me I really need to get that gibberish song (or two?) back in my playlist one of these days. It was cheerful.
Ask not!
Ask!

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #21022 on: January 30, 2015, 12:19:01 am »

No catgirls or molepeople, nor awesome organ pub music. I can safely say it's not escaflowne.

... though that reminds me I really need to get that gibberish song (or two?) back in my playlist one of these days. It was cheerful.
Fun gibberish song? Linky please my gooeypal if ya find it.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #21023 on: January 30, 2015, 12:27:50 am »

It's... a lot like this. Which is understandable, considering it's the same composer and whatnot. Give just a mo' and...

Here you go. Sorta' gibberish, anyway. There's some french in there, but iirc it's mostly just saccharine nonsense.
Ask not!
Ask!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21024 on: January 30, 2015, 12:47:30 am »

Jesus christ is it Escaflowne.

Escaflowne didn't have female pilots, except one, so it's def. not that. Or if you're talking about the nose thing, that's not escaflowne either. Google tells me the pointy noses are from Magic Kaito 1412. Reverse image search for the win.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 12:51:42 am by Reelya »

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #21025 on: January 30, 2015, 01:09:38 am »

Yeah you're right Escaflowne noses are different. It wasn't that the show looked anything actually like Escaflowne just NOSES-

It's... a lot like this. Which is understandable, considering it's the same composer and whatnot. Give just a mo' and...

Here you go. Sorta' gibberish, anyway. There's some french in there, but iirc it's mostly just saccharine nonsense.
Thanks a lot.

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #21026 on: January 30, 2015, 03:10:12 am »

there is no real Allied or Soviet analogue during the war to the Japanese treatment of POWs

What about the allied treatment of the German Aryan women?

Though at least Japan has yet to make an anime ABOUT the Nanking Massacre where they are the "good guys" who only killed "Military targets" like the good old Americans do.
Not systemic, not an organized and officially-condoned political institution devoted to supplying these women for the purposes of rape and sex slavery.  The Soviets were the worst of the four occupying armies if you accept Beevor's numbers at face value, but even there, rape was punishable by anything ranging from arrest to execution.  Similarly, American, British, and French soldiers also had punishments on paper for such crimes, though all three also had enforcement issues (the latter compounded by endemic race issues; black soldiers were more likely to be punished than white soldiers).  It's the difference between non-enforcement of laws preventing rape and official endorsement of institutionalized rape as part of their military culture; both are completely and utterly reprehensible, but the latter is still worse than the former. 

I'm not really discussing Kancolle in particular as being pro-Axis, myself; I was originally discussing how Neonivek is claiming that Japan has owned up to its crimes for the most part, that the Allies are the ones whitewashing their own crimes (which, in conjunction with the initial claim, also implies that they are the only ones whitewashing their crimes), and that he loves the romanticization of the Axis side in general.  That disturbs me quite a bit.

The "punishments" for rape on the part of the Soviets were largely ceremonial, to put up a pretense of not being quite so bad as the Nazis. Various officers tried to actually prevent the rapes and punish the perpetrators but Stalin himself personally intervened in favour of the rapists at the time.

Anyhow, "romanticizing" the Axis is acceptable in my book so long it isn't romanticizing the crimes they perpetrated. I mean, I'm fine with viewing the Soviets from a positive perspective (or semi-positive anyway, since most Western and even contemporary Russian works acknowledge at least some negative aspects) so long as they don't start trying to outright justify or whitewash the Katyn Massacre, the Purges, the Holodomor or the rape of East Germany.

Besides that, I've always viewed the attitude of the Germans in overstating their own guilt and preventing the occasional neo-Nazi nut from saying his piece to be counterproductive and wrongheaded at best. The basis of freedom of speech is letting the dumbest, least popular view points have their say, and banning them so thoroughly makes them actually gain credibility for being "anti-establishment" instead of letting them be swept into the dustbin of history (honestly, if similar laws existed against being a supporter of Wallenstein or Tilly from the Thirty Years War, we'd be seeing a revival in witchhunts and religious extremism too). Mind, the Japanese went a bit far in the other direction by often completely ignoring their less savoury actions during the war, but the idiot nationalists aren't likely to gain too much traction, not in the least because American influence is basically the only reason Japan isn't an Autonomous Region of the People's Republic of China.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21027 on: January 30, 2015, 03:25:15 am »

Your making me wish this was a thread based on that or that people here could survive a short derail without wetting their pants in abhorrer or delving into complete anarchy.

But alas...

It is always kind of weird in Try Fighters when you just KNOW who is a contender just by looking at them and who is just there to be a slight challenge for our protagonists.

So far there are only two teams (outside our protagonists) who feel like they could actually win the contest... and one of them hasn't even fielded their star player yet.

This is definitely not like last season where other than Finiche (I can never spell or remember his name) and the military twins, every one of the top players felt like they could have won.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #21028 on: January 30, 2015, 09:04:47 am »

Mm... for what it's worth, it's currently a very different venue, isn't it? National vs. international, under-18 vs. everything. That might have something to do with it. Or maybe they've just decided this season needs a higher chump quota, I'unno.
Ask not!
Ask!

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #21029 on: January 30, 2015, 10:14:10 am »

Everyone feels undeveloped compared to last season since Bandai mandated team battles to sell more gunpla which inflates the amount of cast members which results in the show having less time to focus on all of them. The staff have been complaining about it. Also we don't have the preliminaries this time around.
It's FEF, not FEOF
Pages: 1 ... 1400 1401 [1402] 1403 1404 ... 2193