Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1387 1388 [1389] 1390 1391 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3064893 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #20820 on: January 22, 2015, 03:02:17 pm »

It was setting up a contrast indeed with a bit of a spoiler.

But what I mean is... they trounced their opponents so badly that their new abilities seem kind of meaningless in terms of strategic use.

I haven't seen what they are like up against worthy opponents.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #20821 on: January 22, 2015, 03:30:50 pm »

Oh thats what you mean. Eh I felt like the effects of the upgrades shown were pretty clear, Lightning goes ridiculously fast like the GP-01 and has more missiles, Winning has close combat capabilities now + funnels and so is more than just an upgrade for teammates, and Burning has more crystals to vent excess particles from so it can let loose and doesn't blow itself up. But yeah they're holding back their full abilities considering that
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Next week should be pretty interesting. If I'm reading the translations of the brackets correctly we'll be seeing the gunpla academy go up against whatshisname voiced by Sugita. The glimpse we saw of his MA was pretty clearly a wing from SID, which is weird since AGE's contract shouldn't be up for expiration for another 2-3 years. Unless Bandai did some negotiating in preparation for Try this time.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 03:34:01 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20822 on: January 22, 2015, 03:33:27 pm »

Ohh yeah for sure.

Next episode will definitely have a more worthy fight.

I am kind of glad they are skipping the non-sense contests like they did last time. a few of them were fine, albeit random, but a few seemed REALLY mean to some Gunpla players.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #20823 on: January 22, 2015, 03:38:11 pm »

I miss the silly matches actually, they gave the show a nice light hearted charm and added to the feeling of how self aware the show seemed. And they felt more to me like a way to test how well rounded the contestants were so their actual control and building skill shined more rather than just their fighting abilities. But that was the professional level competition so I can sortof see why it wouldn't be in the nationals.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20824 on: January 22, 2015, 03:42:38 pm »

It seemed to be there to somewhat cull people of lower skill (to get rid of a country having a dreadful Gunpla pilot)

But some of it were things that were... Not fair.

Like the beanbag throw.

The Random weapons wasn't EXACTLY fair... but... well... you know what you were getting into.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #20825 on: January 22, 2015, 03:46:58 pm »

What was wrong with the beanbag throw?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 03:49:09 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20826 on: January 22, 2015, 03:47:50 pm »

What was wrong with the beanbag throw?

Seems like a REALLY mean amount of precision to require.

I mean I know the Gunpla's controls work via magic... but still.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #20827 on: January 22, 2015, 03:51:48 pm »

I'm, uh. I'm not sure fairness has anything whatsoever to do with the gunpla battle stuff. Like... at all. Something like half the entire thing is coming on to the battlefield with the most overpowered piece of machinery you can cobble together, and if there's anything regarding standards or limits I can't recall any. This is not a contest of fairness, ha. These things are contests to see who the most unbalanced bastard in the land is :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20828 on: January 22, 2015, 03:58:08 pm »

Well think of it this way.

It is like if Boxing had a Swimsuit portion of the fight.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #20829 on: January 22, 2015, 04:09:40 pm »

Hmm well looking it up it doesn't seem that bad to me and there was a bit of context missing as the bean bag toss shown is a team game often done at sports day events at Japanese schools and what wasn't shown on screen was that the players can stand directly underneath the basket when throwing and pick the bags right back up off the ground if they miss.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 04:14:38 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20830 on: January 23, 2015, 12:01:08 am »

Well the new season of Milky Holmes is back to normal. Meaning: it's completely insane. They tried to make it a normal detective show for 1 season, which failed badly - a show which is known for pure randomness, sight gags and one-liners etc really shouldn't ever try a serious spin-off. So for the new season it's like they dropped a whole lot of LSD before animating the first episode to let people know the tone they're going for.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 12:21:29 am by Reelya »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #20831 on: January 23, 2015, 12:11:45 am »

Spoiler: Poi (click to show/hide)
Okay, this is like, really, really late of a response to this (like over 10 pages ago), but seeing how I just got around to watching this and this bugged me enough that I looked it up I figured I'd post it here. Apparently ending things with "poi" is used as a comparison modifier (child->childlike, for example) and so is basically being used the same as the valley girl accent uses the word "like". ("Like, like, totally yeah".)

Just in case anyone hasn't looked it up in the last week. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #20832 on: January 23, 2015, 12:33:20 am »

I've heard it was given to her as part of a reference to something that happened with her actual ship counterpart, but I can't quite recall the details. Something about something confusing happening in her last battle or something?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 12:38:15 am by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #20833 on: January 23, 2015, 01:12:00 am »

*Frumple please disregard everything I said regarding my attempts at explaining the setting of G-Reco, with each episode its looking like I got a lot of that wrong and probably aggravated the issue rather than fixing it.

Spoiler: Anyways (click to show/hide)

and finally

Spoiler: PLASMA CLAW (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 02:25:02 am by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20834 on: January 23, 2015, 05:03:49 am »

Oh boy oh boy oh boy.

Episode 3 of KanColle just aired. I guess we know what direction the show is going now.

Spoiler: Like, actual spoilers (click to show/hide)

Pages: 1 ... 1387 1388 [1389] 1390 1391 ... 2193