Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1373 1374 [1375] 1376 1377 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3061677 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #20610 on: January 01, 2015, 09:24:00 pm »

Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #20611 on: January 01, 2015, 09:58:21 pm »

... few things are as terrifying as an enthusiastic elderly woman with a castration fetish.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20612 on: January 02, 2015, 01:00:42 am »

... actually, that is what a genderflipped X-Men Toad might look like, isn't it?

Toad tends to look gangly and usually somewhat punky.

And while he often looks ugly it tends to be punk ugly.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #20613 on: January 02, 2015, 01:28:20 am »

Well modern Toad does. I think he's referring more to the older versions of Toad
It's FEF, not FEOF

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20614 on: January 02, 2015, 01:31:37 am »

Well modern Toad does. I think he's referring more to the older versions of Toad

Well in those he looked like the Hunchback of Notre dame

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #20615 on: January 02, 2015, 02:27:41 am »

I somehow went from reading a Crunchyroll comment on Chaika's last episode to watching Oreimo, otherwise known by its full title, translated as "My Little Sister Can't Be This Cute".

Despite a title that screams "shitty siscon incest plot" it's not actually the godawful mess I expected. After a whole season there's only (regular) hints of the brother MC and his sister having a complex, unlike the one other siscon based manga I had the misfortune of reading. Also minimal blatant fanservice, which, again, is unlike the other trashy thing I have to compare it to. Oreimo does seem to have a bit of a harem going buuuuut there's only, like, probably 3 girls with "relationship hints" out of...approximately the seven or so girls MC interacts with regularly.

So, yeah, Oreimo so far looks like a mildly entertaining slice-of-life comedy with minor romance subplots that only become apparent toward the end of the first season, and the whole thing is sprinkled with unresolved sexual tension between the MC--who pretty much would go through hell for his sister who treats him like dirt--and his tsundere sister who's basically "perfect" except for her whole closet otaku status and obsession with siscon eroge. By the start of the second season MC seems to be headed more towards a relationship with a female who actually isn't his sister, so it's entirely possible the series won't actually end with incest. Maybe. Hypothetically. Hopefully.

tl;dr: I went in expecting complete shit and it's not complete shit so far. Not bad of a slice of life. Which isn't saying much, but it could be waaaaay worse given the plot. On a scale of "no" to "shit" I give it a "not quite shit yet" rank.

Rambling over. inb4 I have poor taste in anime and I'm a dishonor to my famiry. Going to sleep now. Can't believe I'm watching this and enjoying it, in retrospect.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

DreamCarver

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels breath: Seeking infant.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20616 on: January 02, 2015, 01:13:38 pm »

I somehow went from reading a Crunchyroll comment on Chaika's last episode to watching Oreimo, otherwise known by its full title, translated as "My Little Sister Can't Be This Cute".

I expect full thoughts after you finish the thing.  I'll be waiting.

kuroneko the best.
"Anything man can imagine is a possibility in reality."
Electrum, pedophilia, and necrophilia at the same time!?
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #20617 on: January 02, 2015, 01:20:06 pm »

To be fair, Oreimo was HUGE when it was airing not that long ago, and there is a ton of derivative fan material.
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20618 on: January 02, 2015, 03:14:59 pm »

Oreimo is way too incest-y for my taste. Couldn't stomach more than one episode.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20619 on: January 06, 2015, 10:27:29 am »

Since there is a lot of talk about Women and Anime and I complain here a LOT about just the worst instances of female depiction in anime (Seriously Prince Of Tennis?)

Here is instead a list of anime which shouldn't disappoint too much
-Revolutionary Girl Utena
-Princess Tutu: Honestly everyone should watch this anime at least once.
-Sailormoon: Arguably, I've heard it described both ways... and even in my own experience this show later hovers between being really good and bad...
-Magic Knight Rayearth: Apperantly.
-Full Moon Wo Sagashite

Those are just ones where the main character or characters are female mind you.

Crud my list is small, I should expand it! You will also notice that I excluded Peach Girl... because I will never consider it good. I don't know if Excell Saga counts... because yeah a lot of the characters are sort of flat barely characterized messes, but that is intentional.

And if you want me to make my list of animes that will infuriate you on that level... That list is considerably larger. But I'll just give my "WORST": Marchen Awakens Romance being my candidate for WORST depiction of female characters. Sure Snow seems like a good character at first and she is demure but her strength shines bright as she is willing to fight like everyone else for the future... Ohh... But what are the characters doing? Why are you saying she is just a little girl? Wait... She was doing well why are you taking her out of the fight? You are putting her on a bus aren't you? But she was my favorite character! NOOOO!!!

Yes, I still haven't forgiven Marchen Awakens Romance for that.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 11:12:57 am by Neonivek »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20620 on: January 06, 2015, 12:48:17 pm »

You could easily make an argument for Black Lagoon. Obviously Claymore (though I'd, as always, recommend reading rather than watching) as well -- there are something like two significant male characters in a cast of dozens, and they've got relatively little screentime. Cod Geese, arguably. Off the top of my head.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20621 on: January 06, 2015, 01:25:36 pm »

Tenchi Muyo apparently... But it does have a male main character.

aenri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20622 on: January 06, 2015, 01:31:36 pm »

How can you forget the not-so-small genre of four girls doing nothing?
K-ON being the prominent example. Nichijou for something more off-the-wall. And many more :)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #20623 on: January 06, 2015, 01:35:37 pm »

Kill la Kill will either be extremely disappointing as a bizarrely over-the-top display of fanservice at every available opportunity, or inspiring as a beautiful metaphor for puberty and coming to grips with one's body in spite of a world that constantly seeks to objectify people.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20624 on: January 06, 2015, 01:40:27 pm »

Tenchi Muyo apparently... But it does have a male main character.
You know, in spite of it being the grandaddy of harem shows, I could buy this argument.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 1373 1374 [1375] 1376 1377 ... 2193