Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1370 1371 [1372] 1373 1374 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3061847 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #20565 on: December 26, 2014, 05:30:41 pm »

I'm looking for something new, and something dark. What's good for someone that liked Gantz, High School Of The Dead, and that show with the invisible tentacles (the title of which I can't find in my head for some reason, and will make me feel really stupid in about ten minutes)?
If by invisible tentacles you mean invisible arms that can slice through solid nippon steel, its probably Elfen Lied
That's it. Told you I would feel stupid soon.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20566 on: December 26, 2014, 05:45:02 pm »

Legend of the Galactic Heroes, although it's not an on the ground things getting blown up right left and centre type anime.

I've yet to see Armored Trooper Votoms, but I think that might fit the bill (the original 80's one).
Armored Trooper Votoms is one of those rare anime epics that, like LOTGH, is over 150 episodes long of solid content - unlike the majority of 'epic' animes that are 90% filler (looking at you: bleach, one piece, naruto, inuyasha)

Its a dirty gritty hard scifi war is hell anime. Its what Code Geass wishes it could've been.

Its definitely one of the true classics, right up there with LOtGH and Gundam:8th team.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20567 on: December 26, 2014, 06:26:49 pm »

I'm looking for something new, and something dark. What's good for someone that liked Gantz, High School Of The Dead, and that show with the invisible tentacles (the title of which I can't find in my head for some reason, and will make me feel really stupid in about ten minutes)?
The most obvious one is clear: Berserk.

-Crapsack low-fantasy world
-Incredibly gory
-Humans fighting against humans, inhuman monsters, deities, and the personification of a metaphysical concept
-Main character with a cannon-hand and a fuckoff huge sword that doesn't behave like it's made out of feathers and sunshine
-Remarkably good characterization and plot for what sounds like a grindhouse film
-Also more than a few rape scenes, but it's shown in the same horrific negative light as everything else. Props to Miura for bucking the trend.

Granted, the anime ended with the end of the prologue (though I'm not sure how much or how well the new movies covered), so my recommendation as always is to read it. IIRC the anime doesn't really pick up much of the incredibly detailed art. Though to be fair, like a third of the manga was leadup to the point where Guts met meaningful characters that weren't from the Golden Age arc or Puck. Not that that time was boring.

From what I've heard about it, the original VOTOMS does indeed fit the bill, though I can't recommend it not having actually seen it. LotGH is a must-watch for a whole range of reasons.

You'd probably also appreciate Black Lagoon. I'll let it speak for itself. Even though the subber didn't do their research.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20568 on: December 26, 2014, 06:32:59 pm »

Yeah it's def. elfen lied.

Try

Hellsing Ultimate
Corpse Party: Tortured Souls
Mirai Nikki
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
Deadman Wonderland
Genocyber
Gyo

You'd probably also get a kick out of this years'

Tokyo Ghoul
Parasyte
Terraformars
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 06:39:24 pm by Reelya »

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #20569 on: December 26, 2014, 06:47:37 pm »

Legend of the Galactic Heroes, although it's not an on the ground things getting blown up right left and centre type anime.

I've yet to see Armored Trooper Votoms, but I think that might fit the bill (the original 80's one).
Armored Trooper Votoms is one of those rare anime epics that, like LOTGH, is over 150 episodes long of solid content - unlike the majority of 'epic' animes that are 90% filler (looking at you: bleach, one piece, naruto, inuyasha)

Its a dirty gritty hard scifi war is hell anime. Its what Code Geass wishes it could've been.

Its definitely one of the true classics, right up there with LOtGH and Gundam:8th team.

VOTOMS is only 52 episodes long what the eck are you talking about.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 06:55:27 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20570 on: December 26, 2014, 06:53:48 pm »

Yes but Legend of Galactic Heroes adds quite a few episodes with languid pacing.

Sometimes battles playing out like chess matches where every two-three moves is an entire episode.

Mind you I am mostly joking. It is a VERY slow anime, as was typical for the time it came out, but I don't think it adds that many extra episodes just by drawing everything out very slowly.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20571 on: December 26, 2014, 07:04:20 pm »

Having seen Tokyo Godfathers, I do highly recommend it to any anime fans. It's over an hour long and only one episode, think of it as a movie.
The setting is around christmas time and based on real-life Tokyo.
The main characters are three homeless people of varying ages and genders.
I do not want to spoil anything so just check it out.
For those of you that worry about nudity, the only thing I can think of are two scenes which depicts breastfeeding but that's about it.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20572 on: December 26, 2014, 07:38:42 pm »

"Think of it as a movie"? TV anime =/= movie anime. "Over 1 hour" is not something abnormal for anime films. Tokyo Godfathers is a standard 90 minute feature. Quite a few of them actually exceed 2 hours and the longest anime films ever made are almost 3 hours long. These get played in the cinema in Japan, they're not made for TV.

It sounds like you're missing out on a lot of stuff if anything over 1 hour long strikes you as really abnomal. First up, the director of that one (who died young) also made 3 other feature movies, Perfect Blue, Millenium Actress and Paprika. You should check those out.

Then, there's anything by Studio Ghibli. Pretty much any of their works are good, feature-length anime films. examples:

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
Spirited Away
Howl's Moving Castle
Porco Rosso
Grave of the Fireflies
My Neighbor Totoro

... and about 30 other movies.

Next, you have Hosoda Mamoru best known for

Ame and Yuki the Wolf Children
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
Summer Wars
(though I didn't like this one much)

For Japanese CGI films, hands-down the best is Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children.

Makoto Shinkai is another well-known film director who made:

Voices of a distant star
Beyond the clouds
5 Centimeter's per second
Children who chase lost voices
The Garden of Words

Other great feature film anime include:

Akira
Jin Roh: The Wolf Brigade
Ghost in the Shell (1995)
Redline
Sword of the Stranger
Eve no Jikan
Patema Inverted
Steamboy
Mind Game
Toaru Hikuushi e no Tsuioku

Nothing I listed here was based on an existing TV anime, and very few of them were based on a pre-existing manga (some were based on Japanese novels). A couple of these movies later inspired TV series though.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 08:24:25 pm by Reelya »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #20573 on: December 26, 2014, 08:09:33 pm »

I... uh. Um.

... m... mild overreaction?

Nice listy things, though...

... though, thinking on it. There was an anime-style animated movie about a... prison? Type thing. Saw it on TV in the states... gods, probably over a decade ago? It was definitely action/sci-fi, and fairly odd and quite colorful, but I've completely forgotten, like. Everything. That wouldn't happen to ring any bells for anyone? Think the title had a number in it, if that helps any.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 08:39:04 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20574 on: December 26, 2014, 08:12:55 pm »

Well not really, the "there's a japanese cartoon over 1 hour! Think of it as a 'movie' or a really long episode" thing was really silly. Clearly the dude needed that movie list.

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20575 on: December 26, 2014, 08:37:31 pm »

VOTOMS is only 52 episodes long what the eck are you talking about.
Huh, so you're right.
There was so much to it it must've felt longer.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20576 on: December 26, 2014, 09:39:23 pm »

I do know of several of those you listed, so I am not familiar with feature-film lengthy animes.
I posted what I thought would explain stuff for some people, and as you see, I am not very good at explaining stuff.
So yes, I also think you overreacted a bit there.
Also, I am a bit saddened of your "that guy" comment.. Am I really that inactive on these forums?
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 09:44:41 pm by Ultimuh »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20577 on: December 26, 2014, 11:10:12 pm »

And either before or watching Hellsing Ultimate (seriously, it doesn't matter), watch Hellsing Ultimate Abridged. It's Hellsing, only more so.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20578 on: December 26, 2014, 11:42:07 pm »

Also, I am a bit saddened of your "that guy" comment.. Am I really that inactive on these forums?
It's more like I'm not that active except on a couple of threads so I don't know everyone.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20579 on: December 27, 2014, 03:14:27 am »

So is the current Fairytale arc a filler arc? or was this part of the manga?

Because even as a manga arc it feels very filler.

Fairytale has sort of went downhill pretty fast... I might need to watch a new anime.

Specifically a good anime... as Fairytale is starting to disqualify itself. I need good anime to ground myself and not just watch nothing but garbage.
Pages: 1 ... 1370 1371 [1372] 1373 1374 ... 2193