Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1369 1370 [1371] 1372 1373 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3062054 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #20550 on: December 26, 2014, 12:48:29 am »

The antagonists are basically gigantic savage black people

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #20551 on: December 26, 2014, 12:59:57 am »

Well, Psycho-Pass 2 was disappointing. Vaguely interesting philosophical idea, but they never really follow through on it in a satisfying way, and the actual plot and writing was just not very good. Still, I watched all of it, so it couldn't have been that bad.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #20552 on: December 26, 2014, 02:14:35 am »

Eh. Symbolism. Literally, the antagonists are giant humanoid cockroaches. Symbolically, you can say they represent anything so long as you have evidence to back it up. And by evidence, generally you can just say "A implies B because C". If word of god says they're supposed to symbolically represent gigantic savage black people then yes that's pretty racist. Otherwise you're just saying it can be interpreted as possibly being racist.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20553 on: December 26, 2014, 02:20:58 am »

Ahh it is like I am watching Charley and the Chocolate Factory except less racist >_>

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20554 on: December 26, 2014, 03:40:14 am »

Terra ForMars does qualify but it is also bad and racist so I don't think I can recommend it.
Lol he didn't ask for quality :P such a terrible series.
"spehss mahreens dakka dakka dakka" ... hard sci-fi
Suggesting that 40K, Halo, Mass Effect et al. are... :V

Or the endless spewing stream of hackneyed mil SF crap churned out by certain authors and publishers, for that matter.

(Not that a yarn has to portray accurate and rigorous science to be entertaining, but yeah.)

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #20555 on: December 26, 2014, 04:20:50 am »

Woohoo now that the proto-moonrace is at the forefront things are looking like we'll learn a lot in the next couple G-Reco episodes. Today's already let a few hints of here the G-Self came from, and Raraiya's made a huge step in her recovery. Real pity about how the opening's animations are wasted the way they are. Darnit Bandai why didn't you just let Tomino use the songs he wrote for the openings? He's never gone wrong with those before and now you've got him being all passive aggressive about it.

Bellri's fighting a lot more aggressively now. Probably since he doesn't have to worry about shooting down his own people and is pissed at everyone opening fire around Sankt Porto. Not to mentionthat he's up against a proper military force now and can't afford to pull punches. The fact that Bellri swore to the SU-Cord in the first episode when the beam sabers were pulled out makes a lot more sense now that we know there's a taboo related to close combat.

Judging by that the yellow mobile armor from the concept art that was recently released showed up in the next episode preview, I hope that means we'll be seeing the G-Lucifer soon. I know the Gaeon isn't slated until episode 19...

Oh uh I should probably show that so people know what I'm talking about
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Behold the G-Lucifer. Right there on the bottom. Yes its considered a Gundam despite its appearance. Pretty cool eh? The giant thingies on its hips are believed to be funnels that may be AI controlled depending on how much of the really early pencil sketch concept art's notes are still accurate.

Does anyone else think Klim and Mick Jack would make a nice team rocket style duo under other circumstances? What with how as the show goes on its become more clear how pathetic Klim actually is compared to how awesome he seemed at the start. I mean his gloating comes off as a lot more petty now that there are multiple characters showing up who clearly know what they're going better than he does and he's started calling himself a genius for the flimsiest things, and last weeks episode you could see him crying in the background being consoled by Mick Jack after blonde guy punched him in the gut.

So much Harobe abuse this week. And every week. I think it's starting to get fed up with it.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 01:58:57 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #20556 on: December 26, 2014, 04:22:17 am »

Suggesting that 40K, Halo, Mass Effect et al. are... :V
Or the endless spewing stream of hackneyed mil SF crap churned out by certain authors and publishers, for that matter.
(Not that a yarn has to portray accurate and rigorous science to be entertaining, but yeah.)
Compared to the "genetic engineering of humans and animals to combat the humanoid cockroach martian menace" that Terraformars has going, I'd prefer the cliche military spehss mahreen tropes, yes. Was never a huge fan of the "humans with animal powers" concept.
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

aenri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20557 on: December 26, 2014, 05:26:40 am »

Terra Formars is great after they removed the censorship. Before that it was fucking ugly with black bars and black holes instead of heads. Chaos dunk! But as always manga is miles better than the anime.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And as for racism and other nonsense - lol is the only appropriate response for that.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #20558 on: December 26, 2014, 05:50:24 am »

I think past episode 3 there wasn't any censorship. Just subtle camera angles to avoid too grisly human deaths. Roaches can die in any number of ways and that's fine though, they bleed coffee.

I like it. At episode 11 after binging, aside from the censorship (probably due to the utterly brutal massacre of humans) at the start of the series, and the occasional cheesy moments and the feeling that they're really padding some episodes out with filler, it's otherwise decent. I've seen worse and cheesier.

Also, topkek at that photoshop.

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20559 on: December 26, 2014, 07:24:07 am »

If you're after dark gritty "war is hell" "bugs! BUGS!! SHOOT THE BUGS!!" SF anime I recommend Blue Gender.

I'll warn you that it does sort of jump the shark and pull a gundam in its second half.

Edit: Whilst we're on the subject of SF anime, is anyone else baffled that theres not an anime version of Ender's Game? Seems right up their street, what with the epic space battles and the kids winning the war because the adults are incompetent and the adults abusing kids because they can, etc etc
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 07:40:08 am by zombat »

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20560 on: December 26, 2014, 04:46:46 pm »

Legend of the Galactic Heroes, although it's not an on the ground things getting blown up right left and centre type anime.

I've yet to see Armored Trooper Votoms, but I think that might fit the bill (the original 80's one).

Sidonia no Kishi from 2014 had some great battle scenery again alien bugs, but is space-based mecha. And it's cool because the setting doesn't have FTL technology so they can't just warp out of there and don't have any contact with other humans. This is a rare thing in sci-fi.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 04:53:10 pm by Reelya »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #20561 on: December 26, 2014, 04:58:34 pm »

I'm looking for something new, and something dark. What's good for someone that liked Gantz, High School Of The Dead, and that show with the invisible tentacles (the title of which I can't find in my head for some reason, and will make me feel really stupid in about ten minutes)?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #20562 on: December 26, 2014, 05:26:22 pm »

Elfen Lied, yes. Maybe that... higurashi thing?

... Fraken Fran? okay, that's more guro-ish comedy than anything but whatever I'unno, it's a sort of genre I usually avoid, m'self. Parasyte (or however that's misspelled), perhaps? All that's coming to the top of my head.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20563 on: December 26, 2014, 05:27:10 pm »

6000 has been updated. You could try that...
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

zombat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20564 on: December 26, 2014, 05:28:42 pm »

I'm looking for something new, and something dark. What's good for someone that liked Gantz, High School Of The Dead, and that show with the invisible tentacles (the title of which I can't find in my head for some reason, and will make me feel really stupid in about ten minutes)?
If by invisible tentacles you mean invisible arms that can slice through solid nippon steel, its probably Elfen Lied
Pages: 1 ... 1369 1370 [1371] 1372 1373 ... 2193