Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1361 1362 [1363] 1364 1365 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3058150 times)

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #20430 on: December 04, 2014, 09:09:41 pm »

Gainax's Petite Princess Yucie is basically Princess Maker the Animation:
Petite Princess Yucie follows the adventures of country-girl Yucie as she is admitted by chance to the prestigious Princess Academy, where the daughters of royalty and nobles attend to learn magic, dance, etiquette, defense, art and music....The fragments take the form of Crystal Flowers and are scattered throughout the five worlds; Human, Demon, Heaven, Spirit, and Fairy.
Which is pretty much a Princess Maker game in anime form.

I've been trying to trick people into watching that for years, with nary a success. Need to be more subtle and stealthy.
Wow, other people who have watched PPY.  I'll admit, I'm rather surprised.  And pleased.  But also surprised.

As for fan translations, there's been some work done on both 4 and 5, but they've all pretty much stuttered to a halt.  I think it'll take at least as long as the Haeleth's Kanon patch (if anyone even remembers that little incident).  :P

EDIT:
Oh, but for Princess Maker-likes, you might consider trying Cute Knight.  I wasn't as fond of Cute Knight Kingdom, but Cute Knight was what got me interested in Hanako Games in the first place.  It hasn't made the transition to Steam like Long Live The Queen, though, and the art leaves something to be desired, but otherwise, it was fun.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 09:12:57 pm by Culise »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #20431 on: December 04, 2014, 09:24:40 pm »

I've poked at Cute Knight a couple of times, but it just didn't seem quite the same sort of game.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20432 on: December 04, 2014, 09:58:03 pm »

I don't know, Long Live the Queen is quite a different outcome of design despite the obvious similarities. You don't get the same type of experience from it, especially since there is no adventuring and the story is already decided. It's more of a "predict and react to upcoming tragedies" simulator than a life sim. Not to knock it.
Nah, I completely agree with ya. It's mainly that LLtQ is the closest you're going to come if you've already played PM2 to death and can't read moonrunes well enough to get into piratically acquired copies of other games from the series. It certainly has less playtime in it than PM2, at any rate.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #20433 on: December 04, 2014, 10:09:52 pm »

Weeeellll... there's a few flash games and whatnot along similar veins, actually. I want to say one of the Protector TD spinoff games ran pretty similar to it, mechanically? Maybe other stuff. There's a definite non-zero amount of PM-style games out there, in english even, that's been made over the years. They're just... niche, I can't recall any because it's been years since I played any, and I think some of the larger/better fleshed (ha!) out of them thoroughly violate forum ToS as well. It's a rabbit hole I don't want to go looking for again, honestly :P

Hell, the most recent along those lines that I can actually recall that isn't LLtQ is a roguelike, ha. But I definitely want to say I've played (well, in the sense of messed around for maybe an hour and then deleted, because I don't actually enjoy the playstyle all that much) at least five or six other ones (Not counting PM, PRL, or LLtQ) since the late 90s, at least two of which were... well, forum rule violating, Sengoku Rance style.

It's like... they're out there. But damned if I can remember where.

Actually, I kinda' want to say Wonder Project J was somewhat like PM? Came out about a year after PM2 on the SNES.

And there you go. If you're looking, look for these.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 10:13:51 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20434 on: December 04, 2014, 10:51:54 pm »

Frankly, the fact that they have put a hidden option to make your girl naked pretty much killed the game for me.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20435 on: December 04, 2014, 11:48:49 pm »

« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 09:30:49 am by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20436 on: December 05, 2014, 03:41:27 am »

Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20437 on: December 05, 2014, 05:55:31 am »

Yeah, Long Live the Queen is basically English PM minus some of the creepy stuff and with a good number of dumb ways to die. Not all of it, though. *cough*tentaclemonster*cough*

Well the design philosophies are entirely separate. Long Live The Queen is about memorizing the game and playing out the exact course of actions required to get the endings.

While Princess Maker is what later spawned the Gallop Master and Monster Rancher series.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20438 on: December 05, 2014, 09:17:26 am »

Yeah, Long Live the Queen is basically English PM minus some of the creepy stuff and with a good number of dumb ways to die. Not all of it, though. *cough*tentaclemonster*cough*

Well the design philosophies are entirely separate. Long Live The Queen is about memorizing the game and playing out the exact course of actions required to get the endings.

While Princess Maker is what later spawned the Gallop Master and Monster Rancher series.
Eh, we sorta already said that? Though it does bring a good comparison to mind: LLtQ is what PM would be if it were made as a VN. Mostly. Sorta.

3. Run Resize Enable

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20439 on: December 05, 2014, 12:39:53 pm »

Frankly, the fact that they have put a hidden option to make your girl naked pretty much killed the game for me.

Did they? That's pretty bad.
Though it is keeping in theme with the mentality of the studio, unfortunately.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #20440 on: December 05, 2014, 12:43:01 pm »

That...what.  Things I did not need or want to know.  >_<

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20441 on: December 05, 2014, 12:43:51 pm »

Eh, we sorta already said that? Though it does bring a good comparison to mind: LLtQ is what PM would be if it were made as a VN. Mostly. Sorta.

Not really in my mind. Their end goals are just separate.

Princess Maker has more of a simulation slant. The game has a few outcomes but none of them are important to the game.

While Long Live the Queen (which I will always internally call "Expendable Princess") is more like "what if you made a Point and Click Adventure game into a Visual Novel".

If anything Long Live The Queen is like "What if Sierra made Princess Maker a point and click... but somehow it got turned into a Visual Novel instead".

Mind you Lara Bow has a much more dangerous life then the Princess in that game... Goodness that woman can't walk across the street without almost dying.

Not that Princess Maker and Expendable Princess aren't related mind you. I can clearly see where they found the inspiration for the latter. Heck Princess Maker is very magical girl anime-esk just at a time before Sailormoon.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 12:59:20 pm by Neonivek »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20442 on: December 05, 2014, 01:18:08 pm »

Eeh, I'd almost be tempted to call PM2 a Monomyth Management Sim. It doesn't quite fit, but it's darned close in a lot of ways.

I really wish I could say that I was surprised to learn this, but yeah. Disgusted, not surprised in the least. Gorram Gainax.

3. Run Resize Enable

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20443 on: December 07, 2014, 03:53:05 am »

That PM2 hack was in the beta testing mode. The hack is basically it deletes her dress and you can see the texture underneath so it's not really an "extra" graphic they added, it's a lack of the clothing layer, since the character's apparel is layered like a paper doll. there isn't really much detail at all under there anyway, it's just skin tone. Nude hacks for The Sims do the same thing. apparently you can get the same effect by deleting some clothes textures.. Though the US English release was a leaked development version so I'm not sure if any of this is actually possible in the released Japanese version.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure live action.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 03:59:04 am by Reelya »

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20444 on: December 07, 2014, 04:02:21 pm »

I have a 48 hour Crunchyroll guest pass if anyone's interested, first come first serve. Caveat: it must be redeemed by tuesday 9th.
Pages: 1 ... 1361 1362 [1363] 1364 1365 ... 2193