Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1346 1347 [1348] 1349 1350 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3058574 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #20205 on: November 17, 2014, 07:13:00 pm »

@RekkaAtsuma:

Silver Spoon (Gin no Saji). It's about a city kid sent to an agricultural boarding school in the country, and having to learn all the shit about animal husbandry. A real eye opener about where meat comes from ;D

Beck (mostly drama oriented, a little comedy, it's about a kid who learns guitar and forms a band with some friends, he's 14 at the start of the series)

Bakuman: written by the death note authors, it's about 2 guys who create manga. don't want to spoil too much, but it really goes int detail about how the manga business works at every level, and has some great characters. It starts when the main characters are 14 y/o, and ends when they're ~22, so the school stuff is sort of a side story here.

Ensemble comedies (mostly they're about a group of same-sex friends) include:

Azumanga Daioh (probably the template for most "cute girls in a classroom" series, but a lot better than most imitators.

Hidamari Sketch (trippy SHAFT artwork version of the cute girls concept, really endearing characters)

Acchi Kocchi (kind of a cute overload)

K-On (kind of infamous as the show about a cute schoolgirl rock band who do almost nothing but eat sweets and drink tea and chat about nothing. occasional song performances, once in a blue moon)

Kimi to Boku (a rare one about a group of male highschool friends that isn't smutty)

School comedy and/or drama with romance include:

Kimi ni Todoke
Toradora
Sakimachi no Appollon (1960's  setting, about jazz muisicians, great soundtrack, drama and romance subplots)
Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso (Currently airing, it's similar to the above but about classical music + school & romance)
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun (just finished airing, it's a comedy about a group of students who write shoujo manga (manga for girls, usually with cheesy cliched romance plots) and many of the characters and incidents are parodies of shoujo manga conventions.

There are a fair bunch of college-age slice of life drama/comedy/romance series as well which don't have any supernatural element, e.g.

Nana
Nodame Cantabile
Honey and Clover

FAKEEDIT: aenri beat me to the post button, consider anything on both lists to be highly recced. I should watch a couple of aenri's suggestions too that I haven't seen.

BTW I've seen Genshiken but forgot about it. It starts in college though, the entire concept / focus is the club called Genshiken in the college. In the first episode the MC joins the club. Maybe highschool is a flashback or something, but it's definitely not the start of the anime.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 07:17:19 pm by Reelya »

RekkaAtsuma

• Bay Watcher
  • Unity is Strength!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20206 on: November 17, 2014, 07:49:10 pm »

Thanks to everyone for helping me, I've got plenty of variety to start from now.  :D
Preferred pronoun: "They/Them".

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20207 on: November 17, 2014, 08:37:12 pm »

Whelp another season of Marvel Disc wars down and this one ended... in kind of a rather big anticlimax.

It reminds me of those episodes of Sailormoon where the villain really hams up the scene as if they are some big threat... but you know they are just going to go down in one shot anyhow.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20208 on: November 17, 2014, 08:38:52 pm »

You forgot the KanColle anime.

That's a thing now.

It's happening.

Unless those are subdubs.

Then carry on.

* Pufferfish wooshes away

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20209 on: November 17, 2014, 08:39:46 pm »

Those are wubdubs.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #20210 on: November 17, 2014, 08:53:07 pm »

Those are wubdubs.
I'd watch wubdubs. That should totally become a thing.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20211 on: November 17, 2014, 08:53:57 pm »

So are we talking like.

Instead of words, WUBWUBWUBs?

Or like.

Fuck I dunno. Shitty dubstep AMVs?

I'd watch both.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #20212 on: November 17, 2014, 08:56:16 pm »

wubwubwubwub

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20213 on: November 17, 2014, 08:57:48 pm »

wubwubwubwub

You avatar already wubwubwubs. It's very wubbly.

On-rails. My Litle MOnster is pretty darn good after the first episode. And My Bride is a Mermaid is good all the time.

Sailor fuku terminator father is best father

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20214 on: November 17, 2014, 09:01:37 pm »

Oh man I'm currently catching up on Detective Conan and I'm at chapter 855 and I KNOW WHAT AI'S LISTENING TO.

E: Dammit two chapters later and I'm proven wrong.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 09:06:56 pm by Darvi »

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #20215 on: November 17, 2014, 09:09:35 pm »

Nana

Just pinging in quick, but if you mention Nana in this context, it's also worth noting that the same person created an earlier work, Paradise Kiss, which basically is to fashion what Nana is to music; not so much high school life, but life of high-school-age students.  Of course, it's probably also worth noting that Nana stalled around volume 21 due to an unspecified but severe illness that put the author in a hospital for little under a year, and is probably going to remain on hiatus for the indefinite future.  I haven't seen the anime, though, so I don't know how far it goes. 
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 09:11:27 pm by Culise »

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20216 on: November 17, 2014, 09:18:36 pm »

Para-kiss was weird.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20217 on: November 17, 2014, 09:19:41 pm »

The Nana anime only covers 12 volumes or so. Even still, it's one of the top examples of that genre and really well produced, so it's highly worth recommending (it worked to get my ex g/f interested in anime ;D , so a great gateway series to watch with a female friend) There are 9 more volumes they haven't adapted, but I guess they're saving an S2 adaptation for after the manga series continues / concludes.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20218 on: November 17, 2014, 09:22:53 pm »

My girlfriend cultivated her own anime collection. It started with Fruits Basket and ended up with Prism and we're well past Oreimo at this point.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #20219 on: November 17, 2014, 09:39:56 pm »

On-rails. My Litle MOnster is pretty darn good after the first episode.
I tried watching My Little Monster a couple months back. Got a few episodes in but the mc dude is just too derpy. Too much cringing at him for me to enjoy it.

Fuck I dunno. Shitty dubstep AMVs?

I'd watch both.
Shitty dubstep amvs you say?
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.
Pages: 1 ... 1346 1347 [1348] 1349 1350 ... 2193