Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1343 1344 [1345] 1346 1347 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3058106 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #20160 on: November 15, 2014, 11:31:31 pm »

Kakemeki Valvrave was written by the same dude as Code Geass too. Kind of felt like a Code Geass / Gundam cross to me, with the set up. It's got a lot of over the top mecha battle silliness, but if you look past that there's quite a bit of political scheming similar to Code Geass, and the factions reminded me a lot of shows like Gundam. There was a lot less school comedy hijinks than Code Geass though, which was nice. That was one of the things that jarred CG for me: it felt like a constant tone shift between the action parts and the comedy parts. I enjoyed Valvrave more because it didn't jump around like that. The main thrust of the story is about 2 guys leading a rebel movement who are polar opposites: the idealist vs the cynic, so that's one of the things that was similar to Code Geass, except the personalities and rivalry was a lot different, so they don't feel like clones or a rehash of CG.

I was thinking to myself, "Huh, I swear I tried to watch that, and that description sounds nothing like what I remember." I double-checked and yeah, Valvrave was the one with the glowing neon rave mecha, astonishing pileup of cliches, and magic space vampires. I really don't see how anyone could manage to move from that into something good, how does it get there?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #20161 on: November 15, 2014, 11:33:40 pm »

From everything I've heard from othher people about it. It really doesn't
It's FEF, not FEOF

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20162 on: November 15, 2014, 11:35:35 pm »

I was going to say. I don't see any possible way a main character stupid enough to sit and stare at a display telling him exactly what he wanted to know for 5+ minutes while beating things and yelling like a retarded chimp instead of reading the screen literally right in front of his stupid face could possibly develop into a character capable of any sort of intrigue.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20163 on: November 15, 2014, 11:59:15 pm »

So guys (gals?), recommend me specific anime/manga to watch/read!

What am I looking for in anime/manga? Two words - political intrigue. But it doesn't really need to be political, it could have focus on war/spying/magic/something else with a dash of intrigue and scheming.
For example - I have already watched Legend of the Galactic Heroes or Gundam Wing. It could be something akin those, space opera type of show. But I'm not averse to shows like Fate/Zero/Juuni Kokki (12 Kingdoms)/Mayou Maou Yuusha that have a fair bit of magic in it (and fair bit of scheming/intrigue). Maybe the gist of it is that I want to see intelligent planning/scheming or intelligent execution of plans from characters and I'm willing to stretch my suspension of disbelief to some length. Even stuff like Death Note/Code Geass could be an example.

So do you know about some shows or manga that fit (my very loose) criteria? Age doesn't matter, format doesn't matter (I would read even LN), the only thing needed is if you yourself find it "a good enough work" to be recommended to another person.

Saiunkoku Monogatari probably fits. There's two seasons to watch.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #20164 on: November 16, 2014, 01:01:51 am »

MekakuCity Actors seems neat. Can't quite tell where the plot is going just based on the first episode but it has an interesting setting and I find the art style visually pleasing. Although the first episode was vague, it kept my attention all the way through and it really escalated in the end.

I like it so far. Looking forward to seeing where it's going.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20165 on: November 16, 2014, 03:22:08 am »

As a prior warning Valvrave gained a lot of notoriety due to its rape scene.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #20166 on: November 16, 2014, 11:24:18 am »

BOKU WA BAKEMONO

Would going on outrageous killing sprees of corrupt political and financial figures count? You might like Akumetsu. The in-depth and long winded monologues explaining japanese financial stuff can get old but the art is great and the whole thing is pretty well thought-out.
I read Akumtesu last year, the author is kind of crazy and I wouldn't take anything seriously.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20167 on: November 16, 2014, 12:45:36 pm »

So guys (gals?), recommend me specific anime/manga to watch/read!

What am I looking for in anime/manga? Two words - political intrigue. But it doesn't really need to be political, it could have focus on war/spying/magic/something else with a dash of intrigue and scheming.
For example - I have already watched Legend of the Galactic Heroes or Gundam Wing. It could be something akin those, space opera type of show. But I'm not averse to shows like Fate/Zero/Juuni Kokki (12 Kingdoms)/Mayou Maou Yuusha that have a fair bit of magic in it (and fair bit of scheming/intrigue). Maybe the gist of it is that I want to see intelligent planning/scheming or intelligent execution of plans from characters and I'm willing to stretch my suspension of disbelief to some length. Even stuff like Death Note/Code Geass could be an example.

From Juuni Kokuki, I assume you've seen Seirei no Moribito? If not, it's about an emperor attempting to assassinate his son and the bodyguard hired to protect him. There is a fair bit of politics and behind the scenes planning involved.

If Death Note works, then so does Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo, which is a sci-fi Japanese take on the classic revenge story.

And if THAT does, so does Le Chevalier D'eon, which is weird assassination/alchemy/magicy political craziness across France and Russia.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20168 on: November 16, 2014, 01:41:25 pm »

« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 09:51:52 am by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

aenri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20169 on: November 16, 2014, 01:51:58 pm »

Psycho-Pass has a similiar scheming/rivalry to Death Note, but coming from more of a police procedural drama point of view, it's definitely worth a look.

Aso for movies, Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade is big on scheming and polticial infighting, with a little action.

Yeah Psycho-Pass was okay show, even though I didn't really like the sci-fi detective/police angle too much.

Jin-Roh was a great movie, thanks for reminding me of it. I should rewatch it sometimes, because I'm sure there are some things I don't remember. I remember mainly the action sequences and am fuzzy on details. But I watched it many years ago.

I think Aldnoah Zero counts for political intrigue? If so, then yes. That.

Thanks for recommendation, I believe it is pretty new? This season or somesuch. Gotta look into it.

Kakemeki Valvrave

Well I'm not so sure I would like to watch another CG, could try it out though (rape scene or not). Thanks for recommendation.

Would going on outrageous killing sprees of corrupt political and financial figures count? You might like Akumetsu. The in-depth and long winded monologues explaining japanese financial stuff can get old but the art is great and the whole thing is pretty well thought-out.

I read some chapters from Akumetsu and it didn't sit right with me. The main thing was that it was too much over-the-top for me. Also the story was pretty nonsensical and main character was just plain crazy. Delivering judgement on corrupt politicians/police is fine if done Death Note's way. Akumetsu was way too crazy for me.

Saiunkoku Monogatari

Started watching this and its pretty great! Sometimes it goes too deep into shoujo territory, but that doesn't bother me too much. Thanks for recommendation!

From Juuni Kokuki, I assume you've seen Seirei no Moribito? If not, it's about an emperor attempting to assassinate his son and the bodyguard hired to protect him. There is a fair bit of politics and behind the scenes planning involved.

If Death Note works, then so does Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo, which is a sci-fi Japanese take on the classic revenge story.

And if THAT does, so does Le Chevalier D'eon, which is weird assassination/alchemy/magicy political craziness across France and Russia.

Yup, you are right I have seen Seirei no Moribito and it was a fantastic story. I believe it is somewhat unappreciated and not much known around.

Gankutsuou was a nice show, although to be honest I was pretty lost storywise in the second half of the story, maybe because I have never read the Dumas' original. But the sci-fi angle was interesting in its own right and also the art was pretty unique.

I will look into Le Chevalier D'eon, it looks like that it will be right up my alley.

Thanks for taking your time to write up suggestions!

How about Rose of Versailles?
That is something I have in my plan to watch for a long time. Probably even forgot about it. I think the length of it and the "shoujou"-ness of its artstyle always scared me off. But I will give it a go! Thanks for suggestion!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 01:55:05 pm by aenri »

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #20170 on: November 17, 2014, 01:02:41 am »

Deadliest thing in anime and manga:

Japanese Truck Drivers.
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #20171 on: November 17, 2014, 04:14:29 am »

Japanese Truck Drivers.
True enough. You can survive being punched into the stratosphere by an angry girl, and losing your entire body weight and then some in blood from numerous gashes all across your body, but getting hit by a truck? You're dead, bucko.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

aenri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20172 on: November 17, 2014, 06:27:39 am »

Japanese Truck Drivers.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20173 on: November 17, 2014, 07:33:02 am »

Started watching this and its pretty great! Sometimes it goes too deep into shoujo territory, but that doesn't bother me too much. Thanks for recommendation!

My only suggestion for that series is don't do what I did and get invested in the evolving storyline and start raising your expectations because they seem to be delicately yet masterfully handling a plotline that could only be described as genius... aided by the fact that the series has often handled difficult situations and dilemmas.

Just... keep your expectations low... Think to yourself "Well this storyline is good... But I have no faith it will continue to be good" every episode... and you will be fine.

Don't get me wrong the anime is good, if it was a terrible anime I probably wouldn't have been bothered by it. Heck if it was Bleach I would have gone "Par for the course really"... But the anime kind of prides itself on not coping out to an extent.

I still love it... I just can't live that down.

Well... second season. The first season won't let you down.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 07:41:14 am by Neonivek »

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #20174 on: November 17, 2014, 11:08:19 am »

Japanese Truck Drivers.
True enough. You can survive being punched into the stratosphere by an angry girl, and losing your entire body weight and then some in blood from numerous gashes all across your body, but getting hit by a truck? You're dead, bucko.
I choose to assume this is relevant.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 1343 1344 [1345] 1346 1347 ... 2193