Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1342 1343 [1344] 1345 1346 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3058105 times)

aenri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #20145 on: November 15, 2014, 11:52:21 am »

So guys (gals?), recommend me specific anime/manga to watch/read!

What am I looking for in anime/manga? Two words - political intrigue. But it doesn't really need to be political, it could have focus on war/spying/magic/something else with a dash of intrigue and scheming.
For example - I have already watched Legend of the Galactic Heroes or Gundam Wing. It could be something akin those, space opera type of show. But I'm not averse to shows like Fate/Zero/Juuni Kokki (12 Kingdoms)/Mayou Maou Yuusha that have a fair bit of magic in it (and fair bit of scheming/intrigue). Maybe the gist of it is that I want to see intelligent planning/scheming or intelligent execution of plans from characters and I'm willing to stretch my suspension of disbelief to some length. Even stuff like Death Note/Code Geass could be an example.

So do you know about some shows or manga that fit (my very loose) criteria? Age doesn't matter, format doesn't matter (I would read even LN), the only thing needed is if you yourself find it "a good enough work" to be recommended to another person.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 12:18:02 pm by aenri »

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20146 on: November 15, 2014, 11:56:04 am »

Attack on Titan is, to my knowledge, big on intrigue, but I can't verify that either way.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #20147 on: November 15, 2014, 11:59:22 am »

Code Geass is good for intrigue, Death Note has that albeit on a far more personal level than LoGH (i.e. not political at all).

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20148 on: November 15, 2014, 12:05:11 pm »

So guys (gals?), recommend me specific anime/manga to read!

What am I looking for in anime/manga? Two words - political intrigue. But it doesn't really need to be political, it could have focus on war/spying/magic/something else with a dash of intrigue and scheming.
For example - I have already watched Legend of the Galactic Heroes or Gundam Wing. It could be something akin those, space opera type of show. But I'm not averse to shows like Fate/Zero/Juuni Kokki (12 Kingdoms)/Mayou Maou Yuusha that have a fair bit of magic in it (and fair bit of scheming/intrigue). Maybe the gist of it is that I want to see intelligent planning/scheming or intelligent execution of plans from characters and I'm willing to stretch my suspension of disbelief to some length. Even stuff like Death Note/Code Geass could be an example.

So do you know about some shows or manga that fit (my very loose) criteria? Age doesn't matter, format doesn't matter (I would read even LN), the only thing needed is if you yourself find it "a good enough work" to be recommended to another person.

Ah Ok...

If you like Wartime stuff then how about Kingdom, based in Ancient China and is about the Qin Dynasty (long before RoTK time)...

Or how about Liar Game, its about a young woman who becomes caught up in a game. Along with the postcard there are 100 million yen in notes. That's the beginning of the Liar Game. When the game ends, in 30 days, you will have to return your 100 million. If your opponent steals them, he can keep them as a prize, and you will have a debt of 100 million... This is all about tricking and fooling the other players in this game of lies...

Of course you can go the opposite and go a Sherlock styled Manga with the good old Detective Conan, this manga doesn't really need an explanation about it other then your in for a LONG Haul for reading it...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #20149 on: November 15, 2014, 12:07:49 pm »

Attack on Titan is, to my knowledge, big on intrigue, but I can't verify that either way.
If by intrigue you mean "why are there giant humanoids eating people" then yes.

Seconding the Death Note suggestion. Lots of plotting and mind games in Death Note.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20150 on: November 15, 2014, 12:13:06 pm »

If by intrigue you mean "why are there giant humanoids eating people" then yes.
That's actually part of it, despite your blatant insinuation to the contrary. The manga also has a bunch of politicking such as infighting, treason, last living descendants of royal lineages or somesuch. I haven't actually read it :V.

aenri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20151 on: November 15, 2014, 12:15:20 pm »

Code Geass is good for intrigue, Death Note has that albeit on a far more personal level than LoGH (i.e. not political at all).
Oh, I mentioned Death Note and Code Geass, because I have already watched them.

Well I wouldn't classify anime Eotena Onslaught (commie subs were the best) as the thing I'm looking for, but Attack of Titan manga could be another thing, could try it out.

If you like Wartime stuff then how about Kingdom, based in Ancient China and is about the Qin Dynasty (long before RoTK time)...

Or how about Liar Game, its about a young woman who becomes caught up in a game. Along with the postcard there are 100 million yen in notes. That's the beginning of the Liar Game. When the game ends, in 30 days, you will have to return your 100 million. If your opponent steals them, he can keep them as a prize, and you will have a debt of 100 million... This is all about tricking and fooling the other players in this game of lies...

Of course you can go the opposite and go a Sherlock styled Manga with the good old Detective Conan, this manga doesn't really need an explanation about it other then your in for a LONG Haul for reading it...

Thanks for Kingdom, I will look into it, as I have heard some good things about it.
Also Liar Game is fantastic and also the kind of intrigue/planning I'm looking for (I was soooo happy when the mangaka resumed it!). Detective Conan may be too long for me and too daunting of a task :).

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20152 on: November 15, 2014, 12:19:10 pm »

Yeah the anime was mostly about world-building and killing giant naked people, but the elements are there.

Also Conan's episodic nature makes it easier to read in chunks. You know, a couple cases every now and then, and then you can read something else in between. The actual overarching plot moves at a glacial pace so you won't have any trouble keeping up.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 12:20:58 pm by Darvi »

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #20153 on: November 15, 2014, 12:24:23 pm »

Have you watched Log Horizon? Theres quite a bit of it after the first few episodes
It's FEF, not FEOF

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20154 on: November 15, 2014, 12:30:17 pm »

Have you watched Log Horizon? Theres quite a bit of it after the first few episodes
Oh yeah this totally. Currently watching the newest episode right now...
http://www.crunchyroll.com/log-horizon/episode-1-the-apocalypse-645623
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

aenri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20155 on: November 15, 2014, 12:32:09 pm »

Also I if could add to my request - some more examples of things I'm looking for (which I have already read/watched):
Sanctuary = two guys reforming Japan stagnant society, one from top (politics) and one from bottom (yakuza). Great dialogues, great characters, very realistic art, all-round very satisfying manga for me.
Kurosagi = manga about a guy who swindles other swindlers. It is pretty episodic with the same start for every arc (which deals with one type of swindle/scam), but the meat of manga - intelligence and ingenuity of dealing with swindlers is very attractive.
One Outs = guy who gambles insane amount of money on baseball gets hired by professional team with ridiculous contract, hinges very deep on baseball terminology and understanding of baseball strategy (baseball is srs bsnss), but has pretty engaging characters and interaction. The main character could be likened to Akagi of baseball.

Also Akagi and Kaiji :), but that was probably expected.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20156 on: November 15, 2014, 03:31:56 pm »

Psycho-Pass has a similiar scheming/rivalry to Death Note, but coming from more of a police procedural drama point of view, it's definitely worth a look.

Aso for movies, Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade is big on scheming and polticial infighting, with a little action.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20157 on: November 15, 2014, 04:47:22 pm »

I think Aldnoah Zero counts for political intrigue? If so, then yes. That.
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20158 on: November 15, 2014, 05:13:42 pm »

Kakemeki Valvrave was written by the same dude as Code Geass too. Kind of felt like a Code Geass / Gundam cross to me, with the set up. It's got a lot of over the top mecha battle silliness, but if you look past that there's quite a bit of political scheming similar to Code Geass, and the factions reminded me a lot of shows like Gundam. There was a lot less school comedy hijinks than Code Geass though, which was nice. That was one of the things that jarred CG for me: it felt like a constant tone shift between the action parts and the comedy parts. I enjoyed Valvrave more because it didn't jump around like that. The main thrust of the story is about 2 guys leading a rebel movement who are polar opposites: the idealist vs the cynic, so that's one of the things that was similar to Code Geass, except the personalities and rivalry was a lot different, so they don't feel like clones or a rehash of CG.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 05:20:34 pm by Reelya »

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20159 on: November 15, 2014, 06:54:34 pm »

Would going on outrageous killing sprees of corrupt political and financial figures count? You might like Akumetsu. The in-depth and long winded monologues explaining japanese financial stuff can get old but the art is great and the whole thing is pretty well thought-out.
Pages: 1 ... 1342 1343 [1344] 1345 1346 ... 2193