Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1324 1325 [1326] 1327 1328 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3058251 times)

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #19875 on: October 16, 2014, 08:12:45 am »

And he makes it really, really obvious.
Ah yes, the classic "naked people floating in space" era of Gundam.
Oh crap, I nearly forgot about that. That is, my brain pushed kicked it in the darkest, dustiest corners of my skull but could never kill it. So retarded.

What, you didn't even make it to this scene? Mind you, that's from the second season.
My reaction - this is absurdly funny because of how stupid it is. It's almost a self-parody? I mean, what's up with that up-beat piano tune and silly-faces-and-rape-eyes that Illya or whos that is making?
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19876 on: October 16, 2014, 10:40:28 am »

Ultimately a knight should not betray their master.  She frequently goes against Shirou's instructions, but actually killing him would be unconscionable (well, outside of dead ends anyway).

Their ideals are relatively compatible too.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19877 on: October 16, 2014, 11:49:50 am »

Spoiler: Saber (click to show/hide)
Eh, there's plenty of potential explanations for that. The obvious one is that it just doesn't come up in the scope of the series -- Saber seems to strongly be a more "lead by example" (the example, largely, being wide scale unstoppable mass slaughter) than... posing and speeches and similar such silliness. Lacking a situation where there's major geopolitical shenanigans (and, iirc, the series actually pretty strongly insinuates that Saber was kinda' terrible at that sort of thing -- great at inspiring loyalty in a select few, less great at managing a nation), she has no need for such things anyway and it just... doesn't happen.

To boot, Saber's working with something like 3-4 other people (most of them, y'know, basically civilians) at once, at the most, and is completely lacking in what would be her normal supporting infrastructure. It's entirely possible she kicks several kinds of inspirational ass when she's got her full field command on hand, but I don't think we ever see anything along those lines.

Also: She's totally got B class charisma (And remember, something like E class charisma would have put her on par with normal maximal human capability). Which basically means that the only reason we don't see her diplomance the surrounding nations into her thrall is that Nasu she didn't want to write that story.

Though something like rejiggering the conflict into something like a modern day Game of Thrones might be interesting, if it weren't for the fact that
Spoiler: Maybe a minor spoiler? (click to show/hide)

Point the second could be
Spoiler: I guess maybe spoiler? (click to show/hide)

Her working with shirou is pretty easy to explain. Dude's got better info, is the only thing keeping her around for very long, and is generally working towards the exact same goal she is. No real reasons to clash all that hard, and it's not like they're entirely without interpersonal conflict. Plus the two of them just happen to get along pretty well. * Frumple performs the eyebrow waggle of not-so-vague innuendo. *

... mitigating circumstances, basically. A whole heaping pile of mitigating circumstances.
The problem is that, for example, Lancer is an arrogant bastard who doesn't look like he likes to serve other people. And he's just a hero, not a *spoiler*. Archer is in a dimension of his own in terms of snarkiness. And others are more or less like that, with an exception of... hold on a minute.
Spoiler: startling revelation (click to show/hide)
._.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #19878 on: October 16, 2014, 12:38:21 pm »

Spoiler: startling revelation (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #19879 on: October 16, 2014, 02:32:36 pm »

The problem is that, for example, Lancer is an arrogant bastard who doesn't look like he likes to serve other people. And he's just a hero, not a *spoiler*. Archer is in a dimension of his own in terms of snarkiness. And others are more or less like that, with an exception of... hold on a minute.
Doggy lancer (I'm not terribly familiar with the rest of them, actually) honestly just wants a fight, iirc, and doesn't much give a damn about anything else. While he'd definitely rather be running around kicking stabbing stuff in the face, the whole prana-maintenance means he's fairly willing to go along so long as he gets a fight sooner or later. That he listens at all is likely due to either the command seals hanging over his head, said maintenence, or, well... other influence, which I would kinda' expect given the situation.
Similarly, normal Archer, is, well
Spoiler: still spoiler, yes (click to show/hide)
Counterpoints from the mainline, you've got both Berserker and Assassin who are pretty much in line without trouble ('zerker flips out in a fight, but that's mostly a class thing -- dude's fairly chill outside of it), and Rider who listens pretty closely despite kinda' loathing her main master
Spoiler: Yet another spoiler (click to show/hide)
. Given that most of the folks involved
Spoiler: Spoilers, whee (click to show/hide)
I'd say it actually makes sense the system involved in the war is doing some subliminal nudging towards obedience, or at least cooperation. Most of the possible exceptions are either exceptions (Saber,
Spoiler: so many spoilers ;_; (click to show/hide)
) or one of the classes that are capable of significant independent action (i.e. archer, which have it as a class feature, or caster, which are the most likely to be able to short-circuit the grail system). Most of the other ones (which make up a majority) are... fairly tame.

Least that's how I've seen it, anyway.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19880 on: October 16, 2014, 03:25:56 pm »

Watching "K-on" for the first time today...
Why do these kinda Anime/Manga crack me up...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19881 on: October 16, 2014, 03:31:28 pm »

Are you seriously suggesting that Caster behaves obediently?

I don't think Saber does either really, I can think of several occasions where she majorly goes against Shirou.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19882 on: October 16, 2014, 03:41:56 pm »

I don't think Saber does either really, I can think of several occasions where she majorly goes against Shirou.
I don't remember that. Can you point out where Saber has done that?
._.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #19883 on: October 16, 2014, 05:52:57 pm »

I certainly wasn't. Even though she does kinda' chill after getting the deadly assassin snugglebuddy, the casters in general were something I explicitly noted as being likely to go off the rails. Which... as far as I can remember,* most of servants that go strongly AWOL are either Archers, Casters, or significant system errors. Otherwise they seem relatively likely to toe their master's line, given the option.

Whether that's due to the command seals, personal inclination, or other reasons, it's hard to say. But as noted, I could definitely see the grail screwing with the heroic spirit's head, or at the very least making sure they're matched with a servant that's compatible with them.

*And my memory can definitely be buggered, here -- I don't have terrible much exposure to the non-fate/stay night line, and even that not through the actual VNs. Mostly the anime, manga, copious amounts of fanfiction, and stumbling across a vaguely offputting amount of nasuverse discussions.
Ask not!
Ask!

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #19884 on: October 16, 2014, 06:50:18 pm »

I think that's what happens, I haven't read it in over three years. That's just the first example that pops in my head.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #19885 on: October 16, 2014, 08:47:05 pm »

Just finished watching the first two episodes of Ore Twintail Ni Narimasu!/Gonna be the Twin-Tail! It's a show about a guy who loves twintails who turns into a magical girl in order to stop alien invaders from draining humanity of its "Twin-Tail Attribute", or love towards twintails. It's not a particularly serious show, as you may have guessed. Anyway it's got some pretty funny moments, and oddly enough, the twintailed tsundere childhood friend is actually done somewhat well.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #19886 on: October 16, 2014, 11:48:17 pm »

Spoiler: G-Reconguista (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 12:35:28 am by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19887 on: October 17, 2014, 08:20:38 am »

I think that's what happens, I haven't read it in over three years. That's just the first example that pops in my head.
That's the one I was thinking of.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I certainly wasn't. Even though she does kinda' chill after getting the deadly assassin snugglebuddy, the casters in general were something I explicitly noted as being likely to go off the rails. Which... as far as I can remember,* most of servants that go strongly AWOL are either Archers, Casters, or significant system errors. Otherwise they seem relatively likely to toe their master's line, given the option.
I was talking more to Sergarr, she seems to go against his theory pretty badly.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19888 on: October 17, 2014, 08:09:44 pm »

I love how it's been fifteen episodes and I still don't know how to play WIXOSS.
This is the most amusing case of a show being commissioned by a company to advertise a product, and then the studio just ignoring the whole advertising angle to do their own thing with it. At least, that's really how it feels.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #19889 on: October 17, 2014, 09:21:32 pm »

I was talking more to Sergarr, she seems to go against his theory pretty badly.
Kinda' figured, but wasn't sure, heh. Still, all of the females in the mainline war are probably terrible case studies in servant behavior, really... Saber's Saber, Rider's a system glitch (plus extra matou dickery), and Caster's got that whole noble phantasm thing. Maybe the other wars/alternate time lines have less wonky servants? Don't remember, ha.

... it's actually kinda' amusing, now that I think about it. Berserker and lancer are the only two in that war that doesn't have something whacked out about 'em, iirc. Thing really was a bit of a cluster. Not really surprising, considering, but still...
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 1324 1325 [1326] 1327 1328 ... 2193