Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1317 1318 [1319] 1320 1321 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3059495 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #19770 on: October 10, 2014, 10:05:02 am »

^^I wish they replaced it with "brother" more often.

Tank proved to be kind of shitty, and Cannon was too overspecialized for long-range bombardment. RX-78 Gundam, however, proved to be a multirole powerhouse that not only rendered the Zaku into cannon fodder, but had an edge over the many, many specialized Zeon MS designs purely due to the ease of reconfiguring it for a different mission.
No, all three types created from Project V were considered successful and each filled a key niche, the development of each one continued long after the initial prototypes. Guntank is a valuable piece of mobile artillery and assault variants were actually made for use during the OYW, Guncannon comes in for mid-range support and is less vulnerable to conventional weapons than either suit because of it's armor, and the RX-79 is your standard frontliner. Mass-produced Jims are also notorious for getting trashed anytime they show up on-screen, but canonically they helped turn the tide for the Fed simply because they didn't have mobile suits before and these ones were cheap and reliable units.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19771 on: October 10, 2014, 10:08:47 am »

Subtitles should read like a natural-sounding English sentence, so usually that's going to mean a name; I don't think I ever call my brother "brother" unless I'm trying to be creepy. However, this depends a lot on the context of the show, though. Like, when I watched TTGL, Simon was referring to Kamina as "bro" which I think worked quite well.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #19772 on: October 10, 2014, 10:14:59 am »

Yeah I never call my brother "brother", that is pretty weird.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19773 on: October 10, 2014, 10:32:04 am »

Yeah, but whilst "bro" and "sis" work well, they don't work out so well long-term because the translation of "Aniki" is 'bro'- or closest to. Not that the two are every really said successively, but y'know.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #19774 on: October 10, 2014, 10:39:05 am »

Tank proved to be kind of shitty, and Cannon was too overspecialized for long-range bombardment. RX-78 Gundam, however, proved to be a multirole powerhouse that not only rendered the Zaku into cannon fodder, but had an edge over the many, many specialized Zeon MS designs purely due to the ease of reconfiguring it for a different mission.
No, all three types created from Project V were considered successful and each filled a key niche, the development of each one continued long after the initial prototypes. Guntank is a valuable piece of mobile artillery and assault variants were actually made for use during the OYW, Guncannon comes in for mid-range support and is less vulnerable to conventional weapons than either suit because of it's armor, and the RX-79 is your standard frontliner. Mass-produced Jims are also notorious for getting trashed anytime they show up on-screen, but canonically they helped turn the tide for the Fed simply because they didn't have mobile suits before and these ones were cheap and reliable units.
Really? The GunTank seemed useful only for getting blown up (it worked a bit better after they turned it into a single-pilot craft), and the only time I remember seeing a GunCannon except the ones on White Base was in a museum in Zeta. As far as I can tell, the GM and all later Federation/AEUG UC MS designs are directly based on the Gundam - bipedal with very little integrated armament, usually either incorporating a fighter as a command pod or being a transforming design. A check of the wiki shows that Guntank was discarded completely (in 0079, during the original series) due to being completely and entirely outclassed, and Guncannon was used for a very short time before being discarded (wiki isn't clear when this happened, it has a "last seen" date of 0087 which appears to be the museum piece) in favor the superior mass-produced GM. The Gundam was replaced by a better Gundam.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #19775 on: October 10, 2014, 10:48:08 am »

Guntank was mass-produced but only used during the Zeon invasion of Earth and Guncannon had one variant I believe, but I'm not clear on whether or not it was ever mass-produced.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
It's FEF, not FEOF

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19777 on: October 10, 2014, 11:37:08 am »

Fortunately, the 1992 OVA of Jojo picks up right where the 2014 series ends.

I've seen it before, but watching it again reminds me why I fell in love with the series in the first place.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19778 on: October 10, 2014, 11:53:50 am »

Really? The GunTank seemed useful only for getting blown up

Yeah but this hilarious "always useless on the show" is quite common.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #19779 on: October 10, 2014, 12:11:12 pm »

Really? The GunTank seemed useful only for getting blown up (it worked a bit better after they turned it into a single-pilot craft), and the only time I remember seeing a GunCannon except the ones on White Base was in a museum in Zeta. As far as I can tell, the GM and all later Federation/AEUG UC MS designs are directly based on the Gundam - bipedal with very little integrated armament, usually either incorporating a fighter as a command pod or being a transforming design. A check of the wiki shows that Guntank was discarded completely (in 0079, during the original series) due to being completely and entirely outclassed, and Guncannon was used for a very short time before being discarded (wiki isn't clear when this happened, it has a "last seen" date of 0087 which appears to be the museum piece) in favor the superior mass-produced GM. The Gundam was replaced by a better Gundam.
You're both a bit wrong on the Guntanks usage. After the One Year War the Guntank II was developed and continued to be used even during Unicorn. Its designs where then eventually used by SNRI to develop the Loto, which was then used by Anaheim to develop the F-50D Guntank R-44 in between Unicorn and F-91

It was the Guncannon that got the short end of the stick, by the time of the Gryps conflict the only Guncannon variant in use wasn't even a Guncannon descendant, and was actually a Methuss descendant shaped like a Guncannon. The technology of the Guncannon was however integrated into the GM cannon, which remained in use for a pretty long time.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 12:30:34 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #19780 on: October 10, 2014, 12:27:37 pm »

Guncannon MPT looks so badass.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #19781 on: October 10, 2014, 05:26:12 pm »

Welp. Just finished watching Build Fighter's last episode. Not bad.

Old dudes stole the show like goddamn. Ral confirmed for hidden badass, etc. Well, more confirmed, whatever. Would kinda' rather watch a show about their generation, t'be honest.

Solving problems by punching them, very shonen.

Nice stuff all around, really, and very well set up for the incoming sequel.

Definitely among the best bits of product placement I've ever seen. Right up there with the mario movie in my personal evaluation of greatness.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #19782 on: October 10, 2014, 10:02:08 pm »

Ral confirmed for hidden badass.
Ramba Ral is 100% badass.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #19783 on: October 10, 2014, 11:29:40 pm »

... y'know, I didn't realize when I wrote it,* but hidden badass was totally a play on the whole guerrilla desert fighting thing. Even though it wasn't an intentional one. Shame on you G for not continuing to play on that :P

*I was talking about the whole thing with build fighters where Ral doesn't really do much (and folds like a chump a few times in battles) except be there** up until the end,

**And can I just say, yeah, as whoever it was that commented on Try noted, it's kinda' bloody creepy. Ral is freaking everywhere in that show. He's in random places, he's in people's houses, he's at beaches, bars, just... freaking Ral. It's like there's an army of Ral clones just coating the nation. He's like Schroedinger's mecha ninja, only not there when you look away. And he may or may not be banging your wife. Ral's a mecha pimp, is what I'm saying. The Universal Mecha Pimp, a quantum superpositioned mecha pimp that is all mecha pimps simultaneously. That's Ral.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 11:32:21 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #19784 on: October 10, 2014, 11:42:29 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)