Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1315 1316 [1317] 1318 1319 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3060044 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #19740 on: October 09, 2014, 07:53:55 pm »

Which of the (many many) Gundam shows would you folks recommend for a guy who's never seen more than a few episodes, none of which appeared to be related to the others? All I can remember of the episodes I saw (on Toonami) is mooks dying by the hundreds and named characters dying disturbingly frequently. Of course, I had no real context for what was going on so for all I know I was watching series finales or something.

I ask because I seem to be the only person here who knows nothing about Gundam :P
Best starting points are either, the original series, War in the Pocket, Wing, or 00. Or 08th MS team if you're really into military stuff and vietnam movies
That's a lot. Do I need to watch them in that order, or something? ._.

You should find this helpful, Sirus. It's pretty much a guide that details how to get into the Gundam series if you're new to the entire thing. I was linked to this by Furtuka/GUNINANRUNIN when I expressed interest in watching Gundam, by the way.
Thanks, I'll check it out later. Phone's not so good with images :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #19741 on: October 09, 2014, 07:56:20 pm »

No you pick one of the ones I listed and stick with it if you like it, then watch anything you want. Unless its part of the UC timeline. Then you wanna watch it in either chronological or production order. Just don't watch SEED Destiny. The only good part of watching SEED Destiny is the Stargazer webisodes
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 08:03:04 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #19742 on: October 09, 2014, 08:05:21 pm »

And some of the fanfiction. SEED fanfiction has produced a good handful of works that are notably better than the two series in question (not that that's the most difficult task in the world)... and actually pretty decent, too.

That said, you don't have to watch the SEED stuff to get into the fiction. Might not even want to, honestly.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #19743 on: October 09, 2014, 08:16:04 pm »

Parasyte has ....a dub step BGM

I don't know how to feel about this
Embrace the wubs. Let the bass flow through you and shatter all the windows and trigger all the car alarms of your soul.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19744 on: October 09, 2014, 08:19:06 pm »

The third episode of Gundam: Reconguista in G... what.

It's like they're not even bothering to pay lip service to the notion of the characters being in the military.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My head is full of what right now.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19745 on: October 09, 2014, 10:08:03 pm »

The third episode of Gundam: Reconguista in G... what.

It's like they're not even bothering to pay lip service to the notion of the characters being in the military.

My head is full of what right now.
Probably not really military, yet.  It doesn't even seem like their particular lot even went through boot camp.  Maybe they are more along the lines of trainee officers handled with kid gloves or something.  They are just too 'special' to be anything otherwise...
Also... what the heck is with the opening and closing credits?  Way too many smiling faces.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #19746 on: October 09, 2014, 10:15:56 pm »

It's happy Tomino. The guy past his depression some time in the 90s. Also according to him the shows target audience is actually kids. Which is a bit weird since it airs in a late night timeslot.  But it kinda makes sense considering this could be one of his last oppertunities to pass something meaningful to the next generation.

I've gotta say, the first episodes worried me a bit, but this episode really won me over. Twas really entertaining and the the pacing felt like it was flowing better.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 12:19:15 am by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19747 on: October 10, 2014, 12:07:07 am »

So uh, where can I watch these various Gundam shows? Crunchyroll is the only place I can think of off the top of my head, and most if not all of their Gundam stuff has been taken down from the looks of it ._.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #19748 on: October 10, 2014, 12:08:27 am »

I'm sure there are plenty of anime repository websites that can be accessed through the all knowing God Google
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19749 on: October 10, 2014, 12:10:29 am »

I'm sure you are correct. However, I am wondering what you folks use. Looking for recommendations, as it were.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #19750 on: October 10, 2014, 12:13:33 am »

I don't think Crunchyroll ever has had Gundam stuff. Bandai has some odd requests that make it hard to get Gundam shows localized these days ever since they decided to stop doing their own distribution. Not sure what websites would be best. I've been using anilinkz because it has really nice player quality. <--I'll remove that sentence if it violates the forums piracy rules.

Oh yeah btw another show that's a good place to start is Gundam Reconguista in G that airing right now. It takes place in the same timeline as a bunch of other shows but is so far into the future that it might as well be standalone. And if you're not use to old fashioned 70s and 80s shows its also a good way to ease into that since its basically a 70s style anime done with modern technology.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 12:21:36 am by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19751 on: October 10, 2014, 12:49:56 am »

Watched the first episode of Try and...

Was that the Shogun Gundam? I didn't know it was official I always thought it was exclusive to Dynasty Warriors Gundam and thus owned by Koei.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #19752 on: October 10, 2014, 12:58:25 am »

It's the Musha Gundam. It's most well known for its Dynasty Warriors appearance but actually originated from an old old manga which had a premise very similar to Build Fighters along with a line of SD Gundams. I doubt Bandai is willing to share the rights for any Gundams these days anyways considering what happened with Sentinel Gundam, and not to mention the franchise's focus on merchandise.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 01:03:42 am by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19753 on: October 10, 2014, 01:13:44 am »

Also goodness I REALLY hope the old guy has an excuse for hanging around a middle school.

With a stache like that I am not sure people will understand.

Also I hate when I use quote instead of spoiler >_<

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19754 on: October 10, 2014, 01:27:31 am »

Holy moly, I don't think I realized just how old Gundam is. The original series kinda reminds me of the old Saturday morning cartoons (He-Man especially) in terms of art style :P

Pages: 1 ... 1315 1316 [1317] 1318 1319 ... 2193