Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1282 1283 [1284] 1285 1286 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3058199 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #19245 on: September 12, 2014, 12:45:49 am »

Yeah anime isn't very nice to people who aren't absolutely beautiful most of the time.

I'll refrain from mentioning any anime but I think we ALL can think of an anime that made fun of someone for not being super gorgeous.

What a fucking waste of a premise

I feel your pain.

I have this thing in my head where I honestly believe there is no such thing as a bad premise, or almost no such thing, so no matter how out there a premise is... it sounds good.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 12:47:53 am by Neonivek »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #19246 on: September 12, 2014, 04:37:49 am »

You know something that HSotD did that was actually pretty remarkable? It had a chubby, sorta-crazy otaku character who was not only a central protagonist, but was a certifiable badass, ended up in a loving relationship (for a certain definition of loving -- hey, she was a rich, bossy girl with pink hair, but she ain't no Louise, thank goodness) with someone who wasn't basically a genderswapped double of him (Hi there, Genesis of Aquarion!), and became part of the "heart" of the team rather than a satellite character.
I saw this as more pandering rather than not murdering/ignoring the ugly people. Got your hot alpha male leader type and your less flattering but still appealing nerd guy, just like you've got your bimbo nurse and crazy sword chick. Probably a good move, but I didn't see anything unique or special about it.

I have this thing in my head where I honestly believe there is no such thing as a bad premise, or almost no such thing, so no matter how out there a premise is... it sounds good.
It's a matter of execution. Bad premises tend to be bad because they don't look like they're going to work well, not because they can't work well.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19247 on: September 12, 2014, 04:46:58 am »

You know something that HSotD did that was actually pretty remarkable? It had a chubby, sorta-crazy otaku character who was not only a central protagonist, but was a certifiable badass,
Chubby Otaku dudes with gun fetishes were probably the target audience. So he's more of a self-insert character for the fanboys rather than a progressive role model.

They definitely wouldn't have had a chubby girl who gets a cute guy boyfriend in the series. What would be cool to see is a cross between Princess Jellyfish and Highschool of the Dead. Let's see the geek girls and freaks take out zombies, that would have been way cooler.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 04:49:19 am by Reelya »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19248 on: September 12, 2014, 08:21:04 am »

You know something that HSotD did that was actually pretty remarkable? It had a chubby, sorta-crazy otaku character who was not only a central protagonist, but was a certifiable badass,
Chubby Otaku dudes with gun fetishes were probably the target audience. So he's more of a self-insert character for the fanboys rather than a progressive role model.

They definitely wouldn't have had a chubby girl who gets a cute guy boyfriend in the series. What would be cool to see is a cross between Princess Jellyfish and Highschool of the Dead. Let's see the geek girls and freaks take out zombies, that would have been way cooler.

Eeh. I mean, I got that -- it's more a matter of bite & hold style progression, where even tiny bits of progress for the wrong reasons is still technically progress. But are there really gun fetishists in real life who are that legitimately psychotic, or at least enough to not have trouble identifying? As far as I've been able to tell, that's always been one of a great many overplayed archetypes in anime (alongside, for topicality, crazy-good kendoists, useless losers who become hypercompetent in dangerous situations, bossy rich girls who aren't completely superficial, &c.).

Ofc. part of it was also just pointing out that if you dumped the fanservice and didn't view everything through the calculus of the theoretical hypercompetent market-planning staff that design every tiny aspect of shows to appeal pander to someone, you'd have some pretty fun stuff to watch. Incidentally, are you all really equating appealing with pandering? Because the implications of the two are fairly different, unless you actually see every possible type of audience appeal as being inherently immoral and distasteful.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19249 on: September 12, 2014, 12:09:07 pm »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19250 on: September 12, 2014, 01:53:38 pm »

I got to watching the show that was mentioned in an earlier page: Midori No Hibi. You know the one where the guy's hand transforms into a small girl, and that's just his life from there on.

It's actually a pretty decently humorous show. I'm not upset.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #19251 on: September 12, 2014, 03:33:52 pm »

It's actually a pretty decently humorous show. I'm not upset.
The mangaka can be pretty funny.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #19252 on: September 12, 2014, 07:10:38 pm »

Eeh. I mean, I got that -- it's more a matter of bite & hold style progression, where even tiny bits of progress for the wrong reasons is still technically progress. But are there really gun fetishists in real life who are that legitimately psychotic, or at least enough to not have trouble identifying? As far as I've been able to tell, that's always been one of a great many overplayed archetypes in anime (alongside, for topicality, crazy-good kendoists, useless losers who become hypercompetent in dangerous situations, bossy rich girls who aren't completely superficial, &c.).
Well, even you found him "certifiably badass," right? You didn't say "oh there's a fat main character, so of course he's a psychotic douche nobody could ever relate to." You said "oh man it's so awesome how everyone's awesome and relevant even the otaku."

Ofc. part of it was also just pointing out that if you dumped the fanservice and didn't view everything through the calculus of the theoretical hypercompetent market-planning staff that design every tiny aspect of shows to appeal pander to someone, you'd have some pretty fun stuff to watch. Incidentally, are you all really equating appealing with pandering? Because the implications of the two are fairly different, unless you actually see every possible type of audience appeal as being inherently immoral and distasteful.
Admittedly, it's hard for me to look at any parts of it without seeing it in a rather unflattering context. I'm willing to grudgingly admire the show's ruthless precision in exploitative construction, sneer in disgust at pretty much everything else, and that's about it.

That said, watching the main characters butcher zombies while side characters get eaten by zombies is hardly first on my list of Things Which Are Not Pandering either, especially when said characters themselves appear to be so well-engineered.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19253 on: September 12, 2014, 07:56:29 pm »

If we're judging by that metric, I might as well discard ~95% of the content of any given medium because some element of it has been worsened by the creator(s) trying to appeal to one group or another. If you look hard enough you can find that sort of influence in damned near everything, including much of the Capital-L Literature that a certain arrogant class of academic enjoys vigorously analyzing.

Don't get me wrong -- HSotD and similar shows are terrible, mindless shit in a myriad of ways, but I prefer to look for the good in things rather than tossing them over my shoulder. Granted, I'll spend a hell of a lot less time with things that are 10% interesting concepts and 90% terrible, view-driven drivel, but if you dismiss everything that doesn't meet your arbitrarily high standard (At what point does something change from being good design to pandering, when the appeal stops scratching your particular hangups?), you'll quickly find that you're spending more time sneering than enjoying, at least in my experience.

Maybe this is just my old grudge against academic snobbery flaring up again, so it might be best to disregard.

Anyhow, in case I was not sufficiently clear before: I am not saying not to judge things for being shitty. I'm say to judge them for the right reasons: because they're shitty, rather than because they incidentally were made shitty in the process of trying to hit target demographics.

3. Run Resize Enable

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19254 on: September 12, 2014, 08:02:10 pm »

« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 11:06:45 am by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19255 on: September 12, 2014, 08:45:21 pm »

including much of the Capital-L Literature that a certain arrogant class of academic enjoys vigorously analyzing.

cuz it's... fun...

Yep! :))

It just stops being fun when people try to change it from "Let's enjoy this aspect of culture," to "Let's enjoy this aspect of culture while excluding and/or deriding many others." That's just my issues speaking, though.  :-\

3. Run Resize Enable

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #19256 on: September 12, 2014, 09:43:47 pm »

I liked Psycho-Pass. Basically Deathnote with better characterization but a hefty dose of Minority Report. Although it's been a while since I watched Deathnote, and I'm talking more about the story dynamics than any deeper meanings you might dig out of it.

Really does need season 2 to happen, though. Next month, I hear.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19257 on: September 12, 2014, 09:51:51 pm »

« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 11:06:31 am by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #19258 on: September 12, 2014, 10:02:44 pm »

Sadly no

I guess the identity-related mind games were a big thing in Deathnote and they're not really here at all either

So maybe it's not really like it at all
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19259 on: September 12, 2014, 10:09:46 pm »

« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 11:06:21 am by Vector »

Pages: 1 ... 1282 1283 [1284] 1285 1286 ... 2193