Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1278 1279 [1280] 1281 1282 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3057888 times)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #19185 on: September 09, 2014, 03:15:57 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Redzephyr01

• Bay Watcher
  • Ferrum Cor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19186 on: September 09, 2014, 04:28:59 pm »

I just finished watching Ghost Stories. That was probably one of the funniest things I have ever seen.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19187 on: September 09, 2014, 04:40:46 pm »

I'm guessing you watched the infamous gag dub by ADV? I hear it's completely different to the more recent normal dub by Animax, and the original Japanese.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #19188 on: September 09, 2014, 04:44:35 pm »

Hey Neonivek, I can't remember if you've ever watched One Outs before, but I think you'd like it. The main character is basically Akagi.
@FlyingDice  See, Akagi is the perfect example of a protag with talent who knows he has talent and takes advantage of it super hard. Next to Legendary Gambler Tetsuya it's one of the most entertaining shows I've ever seen in my life.
Joshua, give me more Akagi. I need more.
Well, I just finished reading the latest chapters of Gamble Fish, which I've been meaning to do for quite a while now. You can read any chapter of Gamble Fish and be flatout, knocked-on-your-ass stunned by how audaciously awesome it is.
How it's not already an anime is beyond me, but the MC there is simply the best. The best. The very best.
Wait, are you telling me somebody picked Gamble Fish back up? I thought they stopped during the Predator arc.

Redzephyr01

• Bay Watcher
  • Ferrum Cor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19189 on: September 09, 2014, 05:04:02 pm »

I'm guessing you watched the infamous gag dub by ADV? I hear it's completely different to the more recent normal dub by Animax, and the original Japanese.
Yeah, the gag dub. That was amazing.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19190 on: September 09, 2014, 05:27:19 pm »

This might be another time the dub is superior. I'm certain that without that gag dub, Ghost Stories would never get mentioned at all.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19191 on: September 09, 2014, 05:35:29 pm »

I've only watched about six episodes or so, so I can't be completely certain yet, but SAO doesn't seem too bad to me. The pacing's pretty wonky (floor one to floor forty-nine[/s] in an episode??) but it's overall okay.
You'll see. Oh, you'll see.

I went into it expecting a mediocre action series, a role which it filled admirably. For a time.

Yeah, after the first arc/season/whatever, things didn't so much go downhill so much as plummet down a cliff. I personally recommend skipping from episode 18 to SAO2 and saving yourself a lot of time and pain. I rather liked SAO the rest of the time, although the harem stuff got a little ridiculous at times.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19192 on: September 09, 2014, 05:40:08 pm »

I've been learning Japanese for a few months because reasons. And I figured I might watch some anime as a bit of practice, because cute girls are good motivation. I've actually never truly watched much anime before, only a couple of Ghibli movies, but since June or so I've watched 7 single-season series (I can't get myself to start watching the multi-hundred episode juggernauts) and it's been... an interesting ride. Maybe because I go into the shows blind and tend to stumble into them via funny gifs or youtube mashups people show me. Presumably there are better methods. I might post a summary later of my impressions of the 6 first series I saw.

The last one I saw though seems to be mostly unknown but is by far the best one of the lot so far, so I needed to vent about it somewhere.
It's called Soranowoto (Sound of the Sky) and brought out lots of heavy, unexpected feels. It's mainly about a girl in something resembling late 19th century Europe, who's joined the military because she heard she could learn to play the trumpet there for free, something she's wanted after seeing an officer playing it once when she was lost (plus she has perfect pitch). After basic training she's transferred to a border town with a largely ceremonial guard post who happen to need an extra trumpetist. Naturally, it's an all female unit. Seems so very cheerful and cute, yet it's the most thought- and heartstring-provoking thing I've seen in a while.

Maybe I'm just simple. It would be interesting to know if anyone agree with my sentiment or if the consensus is it's dumb and cliched. It's 13 episodes so it's not a big undertaking to watch. If nothing else the visuals and sparse but well-applied music are prime goods. I even watched every intro without skipping past (the outro is a slightly different story).

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19193 on: September 09, 2014, 05:52:50 pm »

Oh yeah, Sora no woto. I love that series. That soundtrack man.

Most people I know who watched it like it a lot. The thing is, most people won't watch it because they take one look at the cover art and dismiss it as a vapid K-On rip off. It's not overly well-known, but deserves to be.

It's most similar to a cross between Aria and Haibane Renmei, but with a war theme. You could literally transplant characters between Aria and Sora no Woto without breaking anything in either series. Another way to describe it is a nice, slice of life version of Shinsekai yori.

BTW the sheer number of perfect pitch characters in anime might seem far fetched, but in fact that skill is much more prevalent in East Asia than other places because they speak tonal or pitch-based languages. It's even noted in the wiki page here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absolute_pitch
Absolute pitch is considerably more common among those whose early childhood was spent in East Asia. This might seem to be a genetic difference; but people of East Asian ancestry who are reared in North America are significantly less likely to develop absolute pitch than those raised in East Asia, so the difference is more probably explained by experience. The language that is spoken may be an important factor; many East Asians speak tonal languages such as Mandarin and Cantonese, while others (such as those in Japan and certain provinces of Korea) speak pitch-accent languages, and the prevalence of absolute pitch may be partly explained by exposure to pitches together with meaningful musical labels very early in life.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 06:12:07 pm by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19194 on: September 09, 2014, 06:44:40 pm »

Well absolute pitch is a lot easier to learn then absolute direction sense and absolute time sense.

I have NO idea how some people have absolute direction sense.

the sheer number of perfect pitch characters in anime might seem far fetched

Not really... absolute pitch isn't that phenomenally rare among those who practice music.

This isn't like having Solar Hands and Solar Gauntlets in Yakatte Japan where EVERY FREEKEN PERSON worth their salt did...

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19195 on: September 09, 2014, 08:49:12 pm »

Okay, I just finished SAO (the actual SAO, Aincrad, etc. parts, not the series) and I can say with absolute certainty that it was pretty good. I'm just a little confused about some stuff (the hell are Sword Arts at all? And how did
) but overall I'm happy with it.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 09:02:03 pm by Sentient Bowtie »
Black lives matter.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19196 on: September 09, 2014, 09:17:44 pm »

Okay, I just finished SAO (the actual SAO, Aincrad, etc. parts, not the series) and I can say with absolute certainty that it was pretty good. I'm just a little confused about some stuff (the hell are Sword Arts at all? And how did
) but overall I'm happy with it.

Sword Arts are the system assist kicking in. Players trigger them by making a simple 'start' movement for whatever Sword Art (AKA specific, predetermined type of attack) they want to use, and the game takes partial control of their avatar to execute it. They generally have more power and potentially special effects when compared to fighting with your own ability alone, and obviously are easier for people who can't into fighting technique, at the tradeoff of a brief period (usually <1 second for non-major skills) after it ends, which creates an attack/counterattack dynamic.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19197 on: September 09, 2014, 09:22:25 pm »

Ah, I get it.
Black lives matter.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #19198 on: September 09, 2014, 09:26:00 pm »

Ah, I get it.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19199 on: September 09, 2014, 09:34:19 pm »

I found myself wishing it was a real game (minus the obvious drawbacks) more and more as I watched.
Black lives matter.
Pages: 1 ... 1278 1279 [1280] 1281 1282 ... 2193