Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1277 1278 [1279] 1280 1281 ... 2193

Author Topic: I like anime, do you like anime?  (Read 3057752 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: I like anime, do you like anime?
« Reply #19170 on: September 09, 2014, 04:01:35 am »

Little late, but figured I'd post this anyways. :P
You'll see. Oh, you'll see.

I went into it expecting a mediocre action series, a role which it filled admirably. For a time.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
To be fair they do mention that the skill was awarded to the player with the fastest reaction time, it's just that that so happens to be the protagonist (because history has proven that stories about the underlings of the actual hero tend to not sell as well as ones about the hero themselves).

The genre switch was also indeed surprising (though it was hinted at in the intro), which I'm not afraid to spoil for anyone who feels like watching it, Sword Art Online turns into a bit of a love story. It's something you should know if you are considering watching it, and you shouldn't expect it to be an action-style story the whole way through.

Edit: Fixed the wrong quote.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 05:07:38 am by i2amroy »
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19171 on: September 09, 2014, 04:55:51 am »

I was only really specifically replying to "Point 8" from FD's list, which you don't make any comment on. This confused me until I realized you were really replying to FD's list as a whole, not my comment.

Point 8 was specifically about
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 05:02:50 am by Reelya »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #19172 on: September 09, 2014, 05:06:45 am »

Ah my bad, I seem to have clicked the wrong quote button before making that post, I'll fix it. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Nightscar982

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19173 on: September 09, 2014, 05:33:11 am »

Log Horizon is cool, and I think that the second season or the source material for the anime (VN? Manga?) has explained a bit more of what has happened, but hasn't outright explained it yet.
In all things you were. In nothing you become.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #19174 on: September 09, 2014, 05:48:55 am »

So.
Uhhhhhhh, Mushishi.
Watch it, now, like seriously, right now.
Tis so weird, I almost feel like talking like LSP.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19175 on: September 09, 2014, 05:56:45 am »

Haha, you managed to pinpoint every possible source material for Log Horizon except for the actual one. Light novels. Apparently the author also wrote Maoyuu Maou Yuusha. What did people think of  the anime for that? Overall I liked it, though I think it got very rushed in the 2nd half.

So.
Uhhhhhhh, Mushishi.

And Natsume Yuujinchou. And Aria. And Hidamari Sketch. Watch them all right now, along with Mushishi. Quarter screen each.

Natsume Yuujinchou is a great series though it contains one element of unintentional "fridge horror" because of the way the plot is set up (this spoiler is very minor and only deals with the basic setup but skip it if you prefer to go in completely blind):
Other than this glaring plot hole (which is integral to story) the the series is really beautiful. Note: i have not finished all the seasons, nor read the manga, so maybe they justify this later.

The manga author also wrote Hotarubi no mori e before this series. The themes are very similar, so recommend the OVA of Hotarubi no mori e and then the series if you liked that.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 06:21:09 am by Reelya »

Nightscar982

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19176 on: September 09, 2014, 07:55:06 am »

1/2 thru mushishi now. I like it, but I find it hard to watch alot of it i a row like I can do for other anime.
In all things you were. In nothing you become.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19177 on: September 09, 2014, 08:51:24 am »

We all know there are different "types" of making sense. Log Horizon is a fantasy series, so unexplained magic to kick things off is "allowable" fiction. But there's a type of truth you have to have in all good fiction - it's the truth of how people think and act.

So we don't tend to complain "magic couldn't really work" or "dragons don't exist" but we do complain "nobody would ever react like that if this was real".

Oh, I know. Beginning with A Wizard Did It-esque shenanigans is acceptable to set up a plot, and I actually sort of respect LH for not even pretending it was anything else (and, indeed, quickly moving past that to more interesting things). Heh, one of the things I'm actually most reluctant about is how it's quite likely that sooner or later the "WTFBBQHAX How is game world into real world" subplot is going to stumble over a pile of thaumaturgibabble.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19178 on: September 09, 2014, 08:59:12 am »

Hey Neonivek, I can't remember if you've ever watched One Outs before, but I think you'd like it. The main character is basically Akagi.

------------------

I started playing Fire Emblem Awakening again, just on the side while I play Prof Layton Vs Phoenix Wright. This time through though, it's a Casual Lunatic run. So that means that the game is incredibly, punishingly, frustrating, bullshit hard, but it's OK because killed characters come back to life every fight. Except for the MC's, if they die then it's game over.

And HOLY SHIT is this way harder than I had anticipated. I spent more than two solid hours trying to beat the second mission... that is, until I found the winning strategy. You see, the game has morphed from "Fire Emblem Awakening" and into "Frederick carries SUPER HARD -Awakening". I mean, seriously, normally I'd toss the Jeigan character aside so that my actual characters could level up, but no, that's not possible here. Frederick needs to be eating the brunt of every battle, cause enemies will chew up and spit out every other character with ease. Besides Frederick, the next highest level character is Lissa, the healer. No duh, heh?

Finding ways to game the system to actually level up my guys is going to be FUN!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19179 on: September 09, 2014, 11:15:53 am »

Yeah the first few levels of lunatic are very hard and require you to lean on Frederick very heavily (it was even more annoying when I was playing Hardcore and trying to avoid any deaths) but if you focus all your efforts on leveling the main characters it becomes easy somewhere around the mid-game.  The fact that the "two-man army" approach works so well is kindof a flaw with FE.

e: well really you should probably make it a one couple army
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 02:53:25 pm by Leafsnail »

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19180 on: September 09, 2014, 02:40:53 pm »

It's telling that "Frederick Emblem" is an actual fan-term for Lunatic(+).

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #19181 on: September 09, 2014, 02:54:29 pm »

Hey Neonivek, I can't remember if you've ever watched One Outs before, but I think you'd like it. The main character is basically Akagi.
@FlyingDice  See, Akagi is the perfect example of a protag with talent who knows he has talent and takes advantage of it super hard. Next to Legendary Gambler Tetsuya it's one of the most entertaining shows I've ever seen in my life.

Joshua, give me more Akagi. I need more.

So.
Uhhhhhhh, Mushishi.
I've already completed it. I'm a big fan. I seem to recall there being a new season coming out soon..?

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19182 on: September 09, 2014, 03:01:18 pm »

@FlyingDice  See, Akagi is the perfect example of a protag with talent who knows he has talent and takes advantage of it super hard. Next to Legendary Gambler Tetsuya it's one of the most entertaining shows I've ever seen in my life.

Joshua, give me more Akagi. I need more.

Well, I just finished reading the latest chapters of Gamble Fish, which I've been meaning to do for quite a while now. You can read any chapter of Gamble Fish and be flatout, knocked-on-your-ass stunned by how audaciously awesome it is.

How it's not already an anime is beyond me, but the MC there is simply the best. The best. The very best.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19183 on: September 09, 2014, 03:08:01 pm »

Also, Josh, pair-ups are super-vital for lunatic, if you couldn't tell by now. I hope you paired up Crom or Joshua with Fred so far.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19184 on: September 09, 2014, 03:10:37 pm »

Also, Josh, pair-ups are super-vital for lunatic, if you couldn't tell by now. I hope you paired up Crom or Joshua with Fred so far.

Pages: 1 ... 1277 1278 [1279] 1280 1281 ... 2193